PDA

View Full Version : Michigan Props?

cwright
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
In previous threads about props and prop replacement, it looks like OJ or ACME is the rage. My local maring prop shop is pushing Michigan. Any experieince out there with this brand.

I have an 88PS190 with a 3 blade bronze 13X13 (according to my manual anyway) and have been real happy with the boats performance. I strictly slalom ski with this boat.

Q's

What brand is the original OEM prop?
would the experts out there steer me towards a four blade?
I think I want to stick with bronze as I run in shallow waters (I found the bottom this weekend) and have heard SS can lead to a bent shaft.

If the prop wizards are out there, I would appreciate your steering on this. My prop is repairable, but thinking of followng the advice of TT of keeping the repair as a spare and buyig a new one to boot.

RickDV
08-28-2006, 01:42 PM
In previous threads about props and prop replacement, it looks like OJ or ACME is the rage. My local maring prop shop is pushing Michigan. Any experieince out there with this brand.

I have an 88PS190 with a 3 blade bronze 13X13 (according to my manual anyway) and have been real happy with the boats performance. I strictly slalom ski with this boat.

Q's

What brand is the original OEM prop?
would the experts out there steer me towards a four blade?
I think I want to stick with bronze as I run in shallow waters (I found the bottom this weekend) and have heard SS can lead to a bent shaft.

If the prop wizards are out there, I would appreciate your steering on this. My prop is repairable, but thinking of followng the advice of TT of keeping the repair as a spare and buyig a new one to boot.

I just went through this myself. I went with an Acme 451 (13x12). Ran it for the first time yesterday and was impressed more than I thought I would be. Noticed two things:
1. My hole shot improved by almost a second.
2. When running at cruising speed the boat responds to the slightest change in the throttle much better than the original prop. I am told that this is because the nibral (sp?) alloy used does not flex the way the bronze prop does.

Through my research I decided against stainless steel because the performance enhancements are not significant above the Acme and it is stronger. Thus, if you do find a rock, the damage will not be limited to the prop but may turn into transmission repairs as well.

Best of luck!

RickDV

sanjuan23
08-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Both OJ or Acme have a "trial" period. There is a plethera of info for 3 vs. 4 blade talk to either and they will give you their expert opinion. I recently switched to a CNC prop and the performance over the Cast Prop was indeed noticable. Get a new CNC you will not be dissappointed and Keep the cast as a spare

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 01:45 PM
Is Michigan offering a CNC'd prop lineup? If not, go with OJ or Acme. OEM was a 3 blade OJ Legend 13x13 on your boat. The CNC'd props are smoother and can run less pitch. I did a side by side comparison of the 3 blades from OJ and Acme last year. I haven't checked the link to putfile in the FAQ lately. Please let me know if it's dead and I'll relink it.

6ballsisall
08-28-2006, 01:46 PM
IIRC, Michigan doesn't make a CNC prop. In todays age I wouldn't drop any money on a prop that isn't CNC. Stainless looks nice and all but is very hard material (i.e. wouldn't want to hit something w/ stainless)

Try out a 541 on your boat, I think you'll be VERY happy with the results.

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Both OJ or Acme have a "trial" period. There is a plethera of info for 3 vs. 4 blade talk to either and they will give you their expert opinion. I recently switched to a CNC prop and the performance over the Cast Prop was indeed noticable. Get a new CNC you will not be dissappointed and Keep the cast as a spare

With Acme, the surface area of the 3 blade and 4 blade props is supposedly the same.

RickDV
08-28-2006, 01:49 PM
If you only run slalom, I would see no advantage to a 4 blade over a 3 blade.

RickDV

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
i think michigan props are cheap for a reason...

TMCNo1
08-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Our '89 came equipped with a Federal Supercup 13X13 which is produced or was produced by Federal, a division of Michigan Wheel the parent company. MC used OJ and Federal Props over the years, till they made OJ the exclusive supplier. I ran the Federal, 13 years with no problems after having it polished and chromed.
You can call and ask if they make a CNC prop @ 1-800-369-4335.

rodltg2
08-28-2006, 02:14 PM
Our '89 came equipped with a Federal Supercup 13X13 which is produced or was produced by Michigan Wheel the parent company of Federal. MC used OJ and Federal Props over the years, till the made OJ the exclusive supplier. I ran the Federal, 13 years with no problems after having it polished and chromed.

but do you ski it?

TMCNo1
08-28-2006, 02:33 PM
but do you ski it?

Did all of the time, when our daughter was training and competing in Slalom, Trick and Jump. Now it's a wall ornament!

cwright
08-28-2006, 04:54 PM
Why change from a 13X13 to a 13X12? I notice a couple of you have. If I go with a new ACME 541 would you recommend changing from the 13X13?

RickDV
08-28-2006, 05:02 PM
Why change from a 13X13 to a 13X12? I notice a couple of you have. If I go with a new ACME 541 would you recommend changing from the 13X13?

It was recommended to me to change to a 13x12 when switching to an Acme. The CNC'd prop is more effecient running through the water and so you can pitch down to get more hole shot without losing WOT speed.

Another option I considered was going to a 13x12 and increase the cup a bit. This would not compromise the hole shot and give you a bit more top end speed. I chose not to go this route (yet) because it would mean a custom built prop. By going with their standard config I can test it out for a little while and if it is not performing as I want, I can return this one and order the custom prop.

RickDV

cwright
08-28-2006, 06:01 PM
A note to East TX, your new prop link on FAQ's is still working. Read and enjoyed the test. Good work.

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 06:13 PM
Thanks, glad to know it's not dead. Putfile will can those things if they go unused for too long.

ryangraham
08-30-2006, 01:43 AM
DOH! i just put a 4 blade michigan on my boat and now you guys have made me second guess. so Michigan does not CNC their props? the prop looks like it was CNC'd, or at the least it has been fine tunned like mad.

None the less, I am very pleased with the Michigan 4 blade, 13x13 LH prop that I have. I put it on my '86 Prostar 190, replacing the original 13x13 - 3 blade. Tons more rip out of the hole. If I lost top end, I'll never really know it cause I never tow faster than 32-36 and. Bottom line, I feel like I got a new engine out of the hole, and the boat runs smoother than it ever has. My old prop was not bent, so it's not like I eliminated vibrations that were there previously. It's just that the boat runs smoother accross the water, responds quicker to throttle adjustments, and comes out of the hole like nobody's business!!!

I recomend the 4 blade prop.

H20skeefreek
08-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Michigan does have a new CNC'd prop.

cwright
08-30-2006, 12:24 PM
note to ryangraham, did you notice a change in wake shape with the four blade. I'm getting advise that a 4 blade is better for making wakes, and a 3 blade is better for slalom. But I don't have first hand experieince with this. What did you see/feel?

ryangraham
08-31-2006, 10:56 PM
can't say with regards to the shape of a slalom wake. My steering helm gave out on me prior to getting a slalom run in. I did notice a bit better shape with my wakeboarding wake. Although, when I ran the boat at slalom speeds, the wake looked as pretty as ever.

As a side note......I went with the 4 blade bassed mostly on the reccomendation of a friend who is a life long (and very good) slalom skiier. He didn't comment on the wake being better or worse or indifferent when it comes to slalom skiing, but he said that after switching to the 4 blade prop, he's only bought 4 blade props since (he's been running 4 blade props for at least 10 years).

so, for whatever all that's worth to ya.

east tx skier
08-31-2006, 11:59 PM
Michigan does have a new CNC'd prop.

Good to know. Any idea on how the price compares to Acme and OJ?

skidemon
09-01-2006, 12:38 AM
My '02 PS 190 is strictly used for slalom. Would be interested to hear if CNC'd (Acme) offers any wake improvements over the stock OJ 4 blade. And which is softer, 3 or 4 blades. At 22 and 28 off, the wake gets pretty harsh.

BTW, I replaced the rudder with the '06 version and improved the low speed(idle) steering/handling. The previous owner had the fins cut off the rudder and the gel coat modified to match the '03 and nwer models. Don't know if this had an effect.

H20skeefreek
09-01-2006, 01:13 AM
13x 3x4blade - $319.99 for the Michagan Amush4 probably more for splined shaft, but I'd have to check. All Ambush 4's are now CNC.

stevo137
09-01-2006, 09:23 AM
IIRC, Michigan doesn't make a CNC prop. In todays age I wouldn't drop any money on a prop that isn't CNC. Stainless looks nice and all but is very hard material (i.e. wouldn't want to hit something w/ stainless)

Try out a 541 on our boat, I think you'll be VERY happy with the results.

I wouldn't be so quick to the draw my friend. I ran the Ambush 4 blade on two MC's and they kicked arse.
CNC is also now available.

http://www.miwheel.com/MIWheel/products/inboard/mich_prop_ski.htm

6ballsisall
09-01-2006, 09:26 AM
I wouldn't be so quick to the draw my friend. I ran the Ambush 4 blade and they kicked arse.
CNC is also now available.

No disrespect steve but I would. My 86' came with an Ambush 4 blade. Definetely a WAY better prop than the OEM prop. However, the ambush didn't hold a candle to how the CNC performed on that boat.

stevo137
09-01-2006, 09:34 AM
No disrespect steve but I would. My 86' came with an Ambush 4 blade. Definetely a WAY better prop than the OEM prop. However, the ambush didn't hold a candle to how the CNC performed on that boat.
That's still not a good comparison to the new CNC'd. All I was saying is that Michigan does offer CNC'd and I believe that they originally developed CNC for props.
They have improved the Ambush and IMO, it would be worth a try.

HERE IS THE LINK:

DooSPX
09-01-2006, 10:52 AM
what pitch and sizes do they offer? I would like to try one. any lose of top speed??
a buddy barefoots at 42 and thats the top speed for my boat.

DooSPX
09-10-2006, 02:45 PM
edit: they offer a 14X18 4 blade CNC
think that would loose any topspeed if its the same pitch as my stock SS 3 blade?

DooSPX
09-21-2006, 12:30 PM
anyone?....

east tx skier
09-21-2006, 12:33 PM
I'd guess a mph or two. Not 100% sure if that still holds true with CNC'd props. My father-in-law's CNC'd OJ tops out the same as his hand finished OJ (both 4 blades). His top end is 44 mph (about 2 mph less than the book says it should be). Stock prop was a 13x13 OJ on his boat.