PDA

View Full Version : replacing Depth Finder transducer

cwright
08-28-2006, 11:49 AM
My brand new Uniden Depth Finder no worky. Owners manual troubleshooting guide is pointing me towards a defective transducer, which of course is permanently glued to my hull. (I'm getting the blinking 0.0, but adjusting sensitivity doesn't change anything).

I located where others have (referred to old threads on subject on the TT site), about 7 inch right of the center drain plug in front of engine.

Has anybody had any luck (or challenge) lifting the glued on transducer off of the fiberglass without damaging the hull? Any pointers are appreciated.

jimmer2880
08-28-2006, 12:35 PM
I've heard a sturdy tap of a rubber mallet - or dead-blow hammer will bump them loose. Never did it myself (yet - about to soon when I replace my old uniden).

wesgardner
08-29-2006, 08:55 AM
If you used epoxy and didn't clean with acetone nor rough up the spot before sticking it down, it may pop off by wacking it with a hammer

DanC
08-29-2006, 10:46 AM
yep
I have always been successful by hitting it on the side horizontally with a hammer. Pops right off.

cwright
08-29-2006, 11:35 AM
I used acetone to ensure a good bond, but I'll try the hammer approach and let you know. Thanks guys for the replys.

cwright
09-05-2006, 10:53 AM
An update. The hammer did not work. I used a hack saw blade and a gloved hand and tried to slide cut the thing off, running the blade under the puck. About 1 hour later, fifty drops of sweat off of my nose, and a couple of curse words thrown in, I had my saw blade about half way under it. I thing put a putty knife in the crack and gently ripped it off. The top level of gelcoat (about 1/16") came with the puck. Mixed up some gel coat repair goo and covered my mark. Next puck will 1. be tested before I glue it in, 2. be located adjacent to original location.