PDA

View Full Version : Just Get a Click

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Parents boat is having some issues. When trying to crank the engine all you get is a click and the fuel pump buzzing. My Brother has been driving it mostly and said that there were times that you had to "hold your mouth right" to get it to start. We had the battery tested and it is good, all connections are tight, reset all fuses. Still just click. I think it is the throttle position sensor. The boat is an 02 Maristar 210 with the 310 hp engine.

1st Question - does it sound like a throttle position sensor to you?
2nd - How hard is it to replace the throttle position sensor?
3rd - If I can't do it, what do you think the chances of getting it in on Tuesday and back by Friday of Labor Day weekend.....Remember all the lakes are down....

jraben8
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
When that has happened to me it has always been the battery. When my throttle is out of position, mine doesn't even click. The gauges move and the check engine light comes on but I don't hear anything at all.

I'm sorry I don't have any other options for you.

erkoehler
08-28-2006, 10:51 AM
Is the starter engaging?

Hoff1
08-28-2006, 10:52 AM
I can't remember for sure, but isn't that what happens when the safety switch isn't working correctly. Also, could be the battery connections. I've not tightened mine down good enough and gotten the click.

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Starter is not engaging. Put a known good battery on it, no dice.

erkoehler
08-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Hit it with a hammer and see if it will engage.....if so, there is your problem:D

eltesoro
08-28-2006, 10:58 AM
I agree with the above rec. The throttle position sensor would not allow anything to happen.

Make sure the battery terminals are making a very strong contact. One thing i use to do is take a flat head screw driver and nick the terminal and battery post togther. I am not sure if that is recommeded by everyone, but it worked for me.

If that does not work feel the starter to see if it is hot after trying to start it. Could be the starter is out.

Good luck. Please let us know if what it turns out to be. I have the same motor and always want to keep up with potential fixes.

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 11:01 AM
It is not starter clicking. It is one click, thats it. Way different from a clicking starter.

erkoehler
08-28-2006, 11:04 AM
It's the starter.....it is just stuck. Seriously, hit it with a hammer!

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 11:20 AM
I will have it hit with a hammer.

But if it tears it up and that is not the culprit you had better bring me a new one at Mag Mania

erkoehler
08-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Just give'er alittle tap.....should temporairily fix your problem.

LakePirate
08-30-2006, 12:47 AM
Hit the ol' starter and no dice

New one is on the way.

Anybody know an out of work oomp-pa-loompa to install this thing?