PDA

View Full Version : Excitment -- I learned to ski tonight!

suedv
08-25-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm very happy. I met a physical milestone in my life tonight! Everyone else in our family could ski but me. I wanted to do it, but really thought I couldn't. Well, I can!

I have a neuromuscular disease called myasthenia gravis that causes weakening of the muscles. After reading the thread about the 79 and 85 year old people out there skiing I thought I shouldn't be a wimp and really should try to do it. I could only do it on the boom, but I made it for almost a minute before my legs couldn't do it any more. Tonight I proved to myself I can do something I never thought I could do! That is fun.

:banana: :dance: :banana: :dance:

peason
08-25-2006, 11:09 PM
That is awesome! congrats. You're pictures you have contributed have been incredible. Thanks.

peason
08-25-2006, 11:09 PM
That is awesome! congrats. You're pictures you have contributed have been incredible. Thanks.

NeilM
08-25-2006, 11:11 PM
Congratulations. A personal milestone for you!

Hoosier Bob
08-25-2006, 11:27 PM
Great story Wildwoman! Obviously some limits have been broken today! Congratulations as this is the first day of your new life! Explore my friend and send pictures of your journey!
HB

Farmer Ted
08-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Congrats Sue!

suedv
08-25-2006, 11:30 PM

Thanks, I really love taking pictures and its even more fun if other people can look at them and enjoy them too.

TMCNo1
08-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Congratulations on your accomplishment! Now you can add "WATERSKIER" to your profile!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

chudson
08-28-2006, 10:42 AM
And the fun can just keep on coming, keep it up and "Good luck"

Maristar210
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
Congrats Sue:D

Thanks for the Photo's too!!!

Steve

Leroy
08-28-2006, 10:45 AM
Way to go Sue! I'm sure it feels good to overcome the challenge!

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 11:02 AM
I'm very happy. I met a physical milestone in my life tonight! Everyone else in our family could ski but me. I wanted to do it, but really thought I couldn't. Well, I can!

I have a neuromuscular disease called myasthenia gravis that causes weakening of the muscles. After reading the thread about the 79 and 85 year old people out there skiing I thought I shouldn't be a wimp and really should try to do it. I could only do it on the boom, but I made it for almost a minute before my legs couldn't do it any more. Tonight I proved to myself I can do something I never thought I could do! That is fun.

:banana: :dance: :banana: :dance:

Congrats! That's a great accomplishment!

LakePirate
08-28-2006, 11:07 AM
Sue - That is great news. Congratulations!

erkoehler
08-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Great news! Congratulations......where's the pic?

suedv
08-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Great news! Congratulations......where's the pic?

Kind of hard to take pictures of myself don't you suppose. 8p

However I did take one of myself in our boat on Sunday. Here is a picture of Rick and me back in our own boat riding down the Grand River after a day of sun and play sitting in the back of a X2 taking wakeboard pictures. Sorry no skis on my feet.

justinlkgb
08-28-2006, 01:13 PM
Way to go Sue.....Congrats, is that a MC t-shirt? I think your mirror is upside down.

RickDV
08-28-2006, 01:21 PM
Way to go Sue.....Congrats, is that a MC t-shirt? I think your mirror is upside down.

Yeah, the mirror is upside down, but it still seems to work OK. I hope that doesn't void the warranty! :D

RickDV

suedv
08-28-2006, 01:24 PM

Yep, MC T-shirt, Yep, mirror upside down. You are observant!

Archimedes
08-28-2006, 01:28 PM

I have a neuromuscular disease called myasthenia gravis that causes weakening of the muscles. After reading the thread about the 79 and 85 year old people out there skiing I thought I shouldn't be a wimp and really should try to do it.

That's awesome. My uncle has myasthenia gravis and I've seen up close how difficult that condition can be to live with, particularly as it relates to physical activity. He's been doing well with it for many years and has been able to maintain a fairly active lifestyle. Keep at it.

KnoxX2
08-28-2006, 01:43 PM
Congrats......... I wish my wife would learn...Ha Ha
Don't tell her I said that..

DooSPX
08-28-2006, 09:41 PM
congrads man! keep up the great work!

dapicatti
08-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Congratulations on this important milestone! I am so glad you did it!
Keep smiling!

betsy&david Harrison
08-28-2006, 11:13 PM
This is great news! Congrats on achieving the victory over such a difficult task.:D

Ric
08-29-2006, 01:36 AM

:banana: :dance: :banana: :dance: what a cool story! CONGRATS!

dapicatti
08-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Sue that is spectacular! To read about your accomplishment today really put a smile on my face :) Thank you for brightening my day.

I saw a quote today that made me think of your success: "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do." Epictetus

trickskier
08-29-2006, 10:07 AM
Along with everyone else CONGRATULATIONS! Determination is a powerful tool! Have a great day!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-29-2006, 11:26 AM
WOW! Congrats!!!:D :toast: I wish your victory story could convince my girlfriend to try to learn to ski, and you CAN tell her I said that.

Your story is an inspiration to me. I am trying very much to get my mother to ski again. She is only in her 50's. She stopped skiing when she got fibromyalgia. She had lived in pain and misery for several years, gained about 60 lbs because all she could do was lay on the couch in pain all day. SHe was flat out determined to get heatlhy again. Doctors didnt have much to say other than "oh well, take lots of tylenol" and she wanted to try physical therapy. The doctors finally agreed, and she started physical therapy which was very tuff on her. Many months of pain, sweat, and tears, and she beat the fibro. She know is pain free, and she lost all the weight she gained. She is now back to normal. But she is afraid to ski, as the fibro can be triggered by physical trauma due to an injury. In fact, the doctors belive her fibro was triggered by a waterskiing injury in the first place.....so she is very leary of skiing again.

Sorry, I rambled. :o

CONGRATS on your first time skiing!!! ROCK ON!!!!:dance:

suedv
08-29-2006, 12:09 PM
WOW! Congrats!!!:D :toast: I wish your victory story could convince my girlfriend to try to learn to ski, and you CAN tell her I said that.

Your story is an inspiration to me. I am trying very much to get my mother to ski again. She is only in her 50's. She stopped skiing when she got fibromyalgia. She had lived in pain and misery for several years, gained about 60 lbs because all she could do was lay on the couch in pain all day. SHe was flat out determined to get heatlhy again. Doctors didnt have much to say other than "oh well, take lots of tylenol" and she wanted to try physical therapy. The doctors finally agreed, and she started physical therapy which was very tuff on her. Many months of pain, sweat, and tears, and she beat the fibro. She know is pain free, and she lost all the weight she gained. She is now back to normal. But she is afraid to ski, as the fibro can be triggered by physical trauma due to an injury. In fact, the doctors belive her fibro was triggered by a waterskiing injury in the first place.....so she is very leary of skiing again.

Sorry, I rambled. :o

CONGRATS on your first time skiing!!! ROCK ON!!!!:dance:
You should keep encouraging your mom to be as active as she can. Exercise is good for people with fibromyalgia.

I have a funky body that hates me. My immune system works too hard and is always trying to destroy something. I work hard with my doctors to take care of my health, but I figure if you sit around to see what happens next it might be worse instead of better.

Tell you mom to live each day to its fullest while she can.

I have qoute I like to look at a lot. It motivates me and its good for anyone. "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go" T.S. Eliot

justinlkgb
08-29-2006, 12:15 PM
Excellent quote to inspire.:D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-29-2006, 01:10 PM
Another one of those 'life qoutes' I like is: "Dont be afraid to go out on a limb, that is where the fruit is."

Kind of inspiring. I want my mom to ski again, I know she can do it, she just needs to get over her fear. She has been free of the fibro for over 6 years now. She is very active, and in good physical condition, but I told her if she spends the winter doing some general excercises and stretching, she will be in fine shape to try waterskiing again next year. Her problem is she is too determined to succeed. IF she has problems starting out or starts to fall, she wont give up, and thats how you get hurt. She needs to just realize that she is out there for FUN, and learn its OK to take a fall, or to not get out of the water.

I will keep working on it. I want her to ski again. I want my dad to ski again too, but thats a whole other issue. :rolleyes:

MarkP
08-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Great job sue!!!