PDA

View Full Version : Digital SLR Cameras and lens

Leroy
08-25-2006, 09:15 PM
Which digital SLR camera are you using and would you like to have for ~$1000? Looks like at this price you can get a pretty decent package as I would like to get couple different lenses also. I'm wanting to take better digital family pictures along with zoom in for close up action soccer shots and skiing shots.

Canon EOS Digital rebel
Nikon D50
Nikon D70
Olympus E1
Pentax K100D
Sony DSLR A100
Others?

Farmer Ted
08-25-2006, 09:26 PM
Which digital SLR camera are you using and would you like to have for ~$1000? Looks like at this price you can get a pretty decent package as I would like to get couple different lenses also. I'm wanting to take better digital family pictures along with zoom in for close up action soccer shots and skiing shots.

Canon EOS Digital rebel
Nikon D50
Nikon D70
Olympus E1
Pentax K100D
Sony DSLR A100
Others?

The Nikon D-50 is a pretty good package and the specs are hard to beat.

I have a Minolta 5D with the 18-70 zoom, Minolta unloaded their DSLR division on Sony who in turn came out with the Alpha. The good thing is it's still compatible with Minolta lenses.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA100/AA100A.HTM

I had a bunch of Minolta lenses that are compatible with the 5D so went Minolta, if I were to do it over I'd go Nikon.

bigmac
08-25-2006, 09:31 PM
Much bigger lens and accessory selection with the Canon or the Nikon, and those two do pretty much represent the mainstream players that are in it for the long haul. The D70s (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=381562&is=REG&addedTroughType=search) is an excellent camera. Note also that there is now the Nikon D80 (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=449061&is=REG&addedTroughType=search), which will be a kicka$$ camera, although at $999 without lens goes over your $1000 budget, and won't be available until the fall. I've heard good things about the D50, but know little about it.

An excellent resource for digital photography, online discussion forums and truly excellent camera reviews is DP Review (http://www.dpreview.com/).

Digital SLRs sacrifice the portability of a point-and-shoot, but the images they produce are exceptional, much more accurate focusing, much less image noise and they are very, very fast - push the button and it takes the image RIGHT NOW. The larger image sensor make a HUGE difference.

Don't fall into the sensor size trap. 8-10 megapixel sensors does not mean better quality. I currently use a 4 megapixel Nikon D2H (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=372904&is=REG&addedTroughType=search), and it takes far better images than ANY 10 megapixel point-and-shoot on the market.

A word of warning - the internet camera biz is fraught with fraud. Buy from a reputable online reseller like B&H Photo (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=product.jsp&A=getpage&Q=RootPage.jsp) - they are exceptional for customer service and reliability. If you do buy online, be sure to look over this online buying tutorial (http://www.ximinasphotography.com/lessons/lesson08/camera_2.html) and DO look up your choice at resellerratings.com (http://www.resellerratings.com/).

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-25-2006, 09:39 PM
My dad recently got the Canon Rebel XT and its an amazing camera. Nothing against the other brands, my dad is just a canon fan. He has always owned canons, from his A-1, AE-1 program, Rebel 2000, and now the XT. Takes awesome pics. He is currently looking at some other lenses too. but you can buy the body, with a kick arse lense for an easy $1000. One helluva camera. He has a speedlite flash for it too, and that is a nice flash. If he is taking pictures of my band at a show, there are flashes going off all over the crowd, but when he takes a picture, its real easy to find him, the flash rivals the spotlight. From my expereince, I vote for the Rebel XT. :)

bigmac
08-25-2006, 09:52 PM
My dad recently got the Canon Rebel XT and its an amazing camera. Nothing against the other brands, my dad is just a canon fan. He has always owned canons, from his A-1, AE-1 program, Rebel 2000, and now the XT. Takes awesome pics. He is currently looking at some other lenses too. but you can buy the body, with a kick arse lense for an easy $1000. One helluva camera. He has a speedlite flash for it too, and that is a nice flash. If he is taking pictures of my band at a show, there are flashes going off all over the crowd, but when he takes a picture, its real easy to find him, the flash rivals the spotlight. From my expereince, I vote for the Rebel XT. :)

Canon makes excellent digital cameras, especially at the upper end of their price range. My problem with Canon is not the image quality, it's that I find their ergonomics klunky and their menu system, a key component of a digital SLR, to be confusing and mostly requires two hands due to multiple button pushes. It would be wise to go to a camera store that sells both and give them a close look.

Digital SLR's are great for on-water action shooting with a good zoom lens. I have several galleries here (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/water_stuff), here (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/toobin), and here (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/thursday_morning), all shot with my Nikon.

Ryan
08-25-2006, 10:03 PM
I am a huge Nikon fan, but I think that the 30D has the best overall user interface and performance. And a kit can be had for $950 - get a bigger lens after your next bonus. 5fps is just too fun!

You'll get the most bang for your buck out of a Pentax - but that's where they've always aimed for.

But, here's where I'm putting my money. I'm giving the DSLR category a little while to cool off. I think that the mfrs have established the price bench. In that they will maintain a $500+ body price for their entry level cameras even as they retire current models. I expect to see the D50 and Rebelxt at this price this holiday shopping season. Putting on my Nostradamus hat, I believe they will pass the models down the food chain like MC did with the X1 and Canon has done from the D30 to the 30D. In two years I believe the D50 and Rebel XT will be gone and that 8mp and 5 fps will be the minimum. At least that's what I'm hoping for as I have two good Nikon lenses and want that D80 (when it's at $700). If you're trying to stay under $1k with a couple lenses, I'd hold off buying at least until the holiday season or go cheap and get a Pentax iSt L and a couple of smokin fast zoom lenses. The camera industry gears their product lifecycle and brand development funds around Nov&Dec.

To suffice my needs as I wait I just bought the Canon S3 (performance dang near the Pentax!- just received it from BeachCamera.com on Tues. It has great features, 12x optical zoom, 2.4fps, miniDV quality video with stereo mics, and fantastic color saturation that is proving to be more accurate to real lighting than my Nikon N70.

Leroy
08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input, the budget is +/- so close is ok. THe D80 does look nice, Roberts says ready in Sept. I played with a D50 last weekend and was very impressed.

I like the Rebels also and have talked to several people that love them.

Presently have an Olympus Camedia and love it for what it is, and maybe the Evolt, but seems like Olympus is maybe little more core products.

Planning on going to Roberts shop tomorrow, but like to know some before going in and know it will be 10% more at least. I've been reading on the internet already.

I guess to say something about usage I want:
Great pictures
Shoot speed, tired of the ~second delay
Zoom, zoom, zoom!

As always, the knowledge on this board amazes me!!!! Thanks!!!

Ryan
08-25-2006, 10:09 PM
Nuts, I forgot one thing. The sweet thing about the Sony is that it has Image Stabilization built into the body which is a big bonus. You've got to really pony up some cash to get a Canon IS lens. Good luck with the shopping process. I fretted more about this camera purchase than I ever did about a car. I know it's nuts.

phecksel
08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
Nikon D80 with the new 18-135 lens. Just over your budget, but that's a nice lens. Another alternative is the D50 {which I have} and the 18-200 VR lens, which will come close to your price. Make sure if you're buying online, you first check with resellerratings.com. On the Nikon forums, dpreview.com {waste of time, actually covers all cameras}, nikoncafe.com {overly moderated}, or nikongear.com {brand new, still looking for a stride}.

I have the D50 with 18-70 and Sigma 70-300 APO. It's an extremely capable and easy to use camera. If I were to buy the same body tomorrow, it would come with the 18-200 VR, but would be moaning about not having the -300. If you're thinking about the rebel XT, make sure you hold one. Small handed women love that camera, because it's easier to hold. I bought my stuff from canogacamera.com, and they were very good. Don't get caught into the memory card speed trap. In most cameras, it doesn't matter. I have the Sandisk III and original, it makes no diff. D50 & new D80 are using SD cards, D70 and most other cameras are using the older CF cards.

Literally there's not that much diff in capability in the cameras. The MP race has reached almost meaninless point. My lower MP will allegidly print up to 20x30 with no loss of detail. I just printed an absolutely beautiful 16x20 picture. The ultimate picture quality depends on the glass where you'll spend the most money. It makes more sense to step down slightly on camera and step up on glass. The new Sony's are getting a lot of press, but when they first came out, IMO, they seemed to have a soft focus problem. Haven't been tracking for the last month or so. Sony advantage is the built in "anti shake". Canon and Nikon are doing it in the lenses.

bigmac
08-25-2006, 10:20 PM
Nuts, I forgot one thing. The sweet thing about the Sony is that it has Image Stabilization built into the body which is a big bonus. You've got to really pony up some cash to get a Canon IS lens. Good luck with the shopping process. I fretted more about this camera purchase than I ever did about a car. I know it's nuts.

I think that image stabilization is one of the most overrated features in modern photography. It's only useful in controlling camera shake, and even then, only if you're shooting it in low light conditions. Otherwise, it's a waste of money if you're shooting at 1/200th of a second or faster. In the meantime, it does slow down focusing, and it does prevent accurate autofocus tracking when shooting in continuous mode. I have imagestabilization (VR) in my 70-200 zoom, rarely use it.

phecksel
08-25-2006, 10:20 PM
I fretted more about this camera purchase than I ever did about a car. I know it's nuts.

I drove my wife F* crazy with options :)

rspiecha
08-25-2006, 10:22 PM
3+ year old Canon 10D with 24-70 L2.8 is auesome. I agree, spend more money on lenses. They will be with you longer than the body.

Rob

Leroy
08-26-2006, 01:40 AM
The Pink Floyd concert on Public TV is great......expecially after getting back from margarita at local Mexican restaurant!

What about use of a tripod or stick? I see most people using stick with these cameras, expecially with a lot of zoom.

This is a lot of money, I can image careful shopping!

suedv
08-28-2006, 10:26 AM
I have a Canon EOS Digital Rebel and I love it. I have extra batteries, cards, zoom, bought an external hard drive to store my photos, sun hood, UV filter, polarizer.....

I have a christmas list I'm starting to build with toys for my camera. Rick's starting to save up. We can't put everything we own into boat toys. ;)

The camera give me LOTS of pleasure.

I like the rebel because it takes nice pictures and because it is lighter than a lot of cameras. My hands would have a hard time if I had to carry a really heavy camera all day.

Leroy
08-28-2006, 10:43 AM
I bought the Nikon D50. Seems really nice. It is the kit, and bought two 1G cards and telephoto. Card holds ~350 pix and battery is good for ~400 pix. Other cameras also seem great. The local professional camera shop pushed Canon and Nikon and the D50 for beginners like myself. Lots on the internet about the D50 also.

They were out of the 18-70 or whatever the normal lens is, so only been using it with the 70-200 lens at the soccer games and took some great shots. Wish I would have taken it out Sunday AM skiing.....well maybe not......

Thanks all!!

east tx skier
08-28-2006, 11:33 AM
The Nikon D-50 is a pretty good package and the specs are hard to beat.

I have a Minolta 5D with the 18-70 zoom, Minolta unloaded their DSLR division on Sony who in turn came out with the Alpha. The good thing is it's still compatible with Minolta lenses.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/AA100/AA100A.HTM

I had a bunch of Minolta lenses that are compatible with the 5D so went Minolta, if I were to do it over I'd go Nikon.

Precisely the reason I went with the Minolta as well. Having a surplus of telephoto lenses has been a great thing. I've not gotten to play with the Nikon, but I've been really happy with the Minolta.

Ric
08-28-2006, 11:36 AM
The Pink Floyd concert on Public TV is great......expecially after getting back from margarita at local Mexican restaurant!

What about use of a tripod or stick? I see most people using stick with these cameras, expecially with a lot of zoom.

This is a lot of money, I can image careful shopping! Leroy
How was the hangover?

maristarman
08-28-2006, 12:20 PM
We've got the Digital rebel with the default lens and also have a 75-300 zoom lens with image stabilization.

The image stabilization comes in very handy on the boat.

We've been very pleased with this setup and it didn't cost us an arm and a leg.

Maristar210
08-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the input, the budget is +/- so close is ok. THe D80 does look nice, Roberts says ready in Sept. I played with a D50 last weekend and was very impressed.

I like the Rebels also and have talked to several people that love them.

Presently have an Olympus Camedia and love it for what it is, and maybe the Evolt, but seems like Olympus is maybe little more core products.

Planning on going to Roberts shop tomorrow, but like to know some before going in and know it will be 10% more at least. I've been reading on the internet already.

I guess to say something about usage I want:
Great pictures
Shoot speed, tired of the ~second delay
Zoom, zoom, zoom!

As always, the knowledge on this board amazes me!!!! Thanks!!!

Leroy,

Oddly enough you and I own the same camera and are faced with the exact same concerns. FTR I hate our camera and it's getting disposed of very soon. Let me know what you end up with and I'll probably follow your lead.

On another note Bigmac continues to impress us with his overall knowledge in almost any area. That was a heck of a write up he did with the links and all. Good job BigMac and Ryan too. Are you guys ready for the Hey BigMac and Ryan what about this? what about that? threads?

You guys are an asset to this board for sure....

Steve

Leroy
08-28-2006, 03:37 PM
My wife practically never drinks and she even had a beer with me! That was the best evening of concerts I have ever seen in my life!

Leroy
How was the hangover?

Leroy
08-28-2006, 03:43 PM
I think there are several on here that stay at the Holiday Inn every night! Bigmac certainly has very broad and deep knowledge.

I bought the Nikon D50 kit, case, two 1G cards and telephoto lens. Card holds ~350 pix and battery is good for ~400 pix. I really love it and the pictures are incredible compared to the Olympus. Other cameras also seem great. The local professional camera shop pushed Canon and Nikon and especially the D50 for beginners like myself. Lots on the internet about the D50 also.

Leroy,

Oddly enough you and I own the same camera and are faced with the exact same concerns. FTR I hate our camera and it's getting disposed of very soon. Let me know what you end up with and I'll probably follow your lead.

On another note Bigmac continues to impress us with his overall knowledge in almost any area. That was a heck of a write up he did with the links and all. Good job BigMac and Ryan too. Are you guys ready for the Hey BigMac and Ryan what about this? what about that? threads?

You guys are an asset to this board for sure....

Steve

bigmac
08-28-2006, 04:38 PM
Shucks guys...I just happen to have a lot of hobbies/interests, a moderate technical knack, a slightly obsessive personality and lots of opinions.

Ryan
08-29-2006, 04:23 AM
I think there are several on here that stay at the Holiday Inn every night!

It's the Hilton tonight ;) - finishing up tomorrow's presentation.
Nice pic on the camera Leroy.

Hey Bigmac, have you seen any 18-70mm lenses with any low f range faster than 3.5? I've seen 18mm fixed at 2.8...

Leroy
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Road warrior!

Was almost dark and about 10 feet away. I can't wait to try skiing!

bigmac
08-29-2006, 08:20 AM
Hey Bigmac, have you seen any 18-70mm lenses with any low f range faster than 3.5? I've seen 18mm fixed at 2.8...

No, although Nikon makes a 24-85 f/2.8-4 zoom. The problem with the 24-85 is that it's only f/2.8 at the the 24 end and it gets slower as you increase the focal length, plus it relies on the camera's AF motor to focus the lens. My solution to the zoom range was the "big three" from Nikon - a 17-35, 28-70, and 70-200VR. All three are f/2.8 throughout the zoom range and they're AF-S lenses, so they focus faster and quieter with the focus motor right in the lens. Sigma makes a 24-70 and a 28-70 which are entirely f/2.8 - but the problem I have with Sigma is that their AF system is reverse-engineered for Nikon, so every time a new Nikon camera comes out, Sigma lenses aren't necessarily compatible with those newer cameras. Obviously, Nikon either makes their lenses compatible with their cameras, or they supply a firmware upgrade for the older cameras to optimize the compatibility. I've seen guys with a lot of money invested in Sigma glass that bought new Nikons only to find out that their Sigma lenses won't work with the new camera. Only solution is to pay to have Sigma re-chip the lenses. So, I pretty much stick with Nikon lenses.

bigmac
08-29-2006, 08:28 AM
Road warrior!

Was almost dark and about 10 feet away. I can't wait to try skiing!Challenging shot, Leroy! Nicely done.

I shoot all my stuff in RAW format and process it in Nikon Capture. The advantage to RAW is that you can change a lot of stuff after the fact. For example, you can adjust the white balance and the exposure and the image ends up the same as if you'd taken the shot with that exposure and WB. Once I get it sharpened, exposed and cropped the way I want it, I'll save it in JPEG. Note that this is different than post-processing a JPEG.

Leroy
08-29-2006, 10:49 AM
I have been reading about this, I expected you would be one of the people using RAW for some reason! :D

What RAW processor software do you use?

bigmac
08-29-2006, 11:11 AM
What RAW processor software do you use?

I use Nikon Capture. I have PhotoShop CS which will process RAW too, but I think NC does a better job. That's not a universally-held opinion, I find, but most of the complaints about Nikon Capture are that it's too slow for processing large numbers of files - IOW better, more efficient work flow with PhotoShop.

Usually what I'll do is initially process RAW with NC, sharpen, adjust saturation, exposure etc, then send that RAW file to PhotoShop as a TIFF file (there's a direct button in NC to do this). I can then use PhotoShop to crop since IMHO it gives better resolution control and does better interpolation if I'm creating a big enlargement like 11x17 or bigger. Then I save the 16 bit TIFF as an 8 bit JPEG. I also use Photoshop for layering and masking, but I do all the adjusting in Nikon Capture and just send both differently processed images to Photoshop and paste the second one into a different layer. This image, for example, was too dark in the foreground if the sky was exposed properly, so I adjusted the exposure in NC first for the sky, sent it to Photoshop, then re-adjusted the same image in NC for the foreground, sent it to Photoshop, pasted it into a second layer and erased the boat.

Got a little far afield of the question, didn't I? Sorry about that...:o

http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/63056359.jpg

phecksel
08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I use Nikon Capture. I have PhotoShop CS which will process RAW too, but I think NC does a better job. That's not a universally-held opinion, I find, but most of the complaints about Nikon Capture are that it's too slow for processing large numbers of files - IOW better, more efficient work flow with PhotoShop.

Usually what I'll do is initially process RAW with NC, sharpen, adjust saturation, exposure etc, then send that RAW file to PhotoShop as a TIFF file (there's a direct button in NC to do this). I can then use PhotoShop to crop since IMHO it gives better resolution control and does better interpolation if I'm creating a big enlargement like 11x17 or bigger. Then I save the 16 bit TIFF as an 8 bit JPEG. I also use Photoshop for layering and masking, but I do all the adjusting in Nikon Capture and just send both differently processed images to Photoshop and paste the second one into a different layer. This image, for example, was too dark in the foreground if the sky was exposed properly, so I adjusted the exposure in NC first for the sky, sent it to Photoshop, then re-adjusted the same image in NC for the foreground, sent it to Photoshop, pasted it into a second layer and erased the boat.

Got a little far afield of the question, didn't I? Sorry about that...:o

Have you tried the UnSharp Mask instead of sharpen? Make that the last item in your work flow.

I almost always shoot Raw+jpg. 99% of the time the jpg is good enough, but it's usually the 1% that I really really want to print large.

One of the Nikon Forums had these links on USM

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/sharpen1/sharpen1.htm
http://www.bythom.com/sharpening.htm
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/contrast-enhancement.shtml
http://www.earthboundlight.com/... .../smart-sharpen-cs2-and-more.html
http://www.fredmiranda.com/article_3/

skeeler
08-29-2006, 02:57 PM
I love my 20D. But thats just me, and what do I know? I spend my day taking random pictures like this.....

bigmac
08-29-2006, 05:00 PM
Have you tried the UnSharp Mask instead of sharpen? Make that the last item in your work flow.

It was intended to be an abbreviated explanation, sorry. Nikon Capture doesn't even have a sharpen function. I was reluctant to try to explain to Leroy what Unsharp Mask is on top of everything else.

Archimedes
08-29-2006, 05:19 PM
No idea, but my wife the photog in the family has the high end Sony digital SLR and it sucks arse. Would never buy another.

Ryan
08-29-2006, 09:46 PM
This image, for example, was too dark in the foreground if the sky was exposed properly, so I adjusted the exposure in NC first for the sky, sent it to Photoshop, then re-adjusted the same image in NC for the foreground, sent it to Photoshop, pasted it into a second layer and erased the boat.
http://www.pbase.com/hmac/image/63056359.jpg

Ahaa!!! I wondered how the heck you got that exposure and color saturation since the orange hues are not reflected off the light colors in the boat - the top deck of the boat and your friend's noggin'.;)

bigmac
08-30-2006, 01:44 AM
Ahaa!!! I wondered how the heck you got that exposure and color saturation since the orange hues are not reflected off the light colors in the boat - the top deck of the boat and your friend's noggin'.;)I was just noodling around with it - didn't take a lot of care with the edges. I'm not as good with Photoshop as, say, your average Reuters photographer...;)

phecksel
08-30-2006, 01:11 PM
It was intended to be an abbreviated explanation, sorry. Nikon Capture doesn't even have a sharpen function. I was reluctant to try to explain to Leroy what Unsharp Mask is on top of everything else.
I don't have NC at work, but vaguely remember it being in advanced raw. It doesn't work well.

phecksel
08-30-2006, 01:12 PM
No idea, but my wife the photog in the family has the high end Sony digital SLR and it sucks arse. Would never buy another.
Sony just came out with the digital SLR. What kind of problems is she having?

mitch
08-30-2006, 01:19 PM
Nice pics in the galleries! That's a nice camera

Canon makes excellent digital cameras, especially at the upper end of their price range. My problem with Canon is not the image quality, it's that I find their ergonomics klunky and their menu system, a key component of a digital SLR, to be confusing and mostly requires two hands due to multiple button pushes. It would be wise to go to a camera store that sells both and give them a close look.

Digital SLR's are great for on-water action shooting with a good zoom lens. I have several galleries here (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/water_stuff), here (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/toobin), and here (http://www.pbase.com/hmac/thursday_morning), all shot with my Nikon.

phecksel
08-30-2006, 10:42 PM
I don't have NC at work, but vaguely remember it being in advanced raw. It doesn't work well.
Tool Palette 2
Advance Raw (requires .nef file)
Sharpening {none to high}

Lark
08-31-2006, 10:12 AM
I didn't read through 4 pages, so sorry if this has been covered.

The camera I like is Canon. I've had the EOS-1D and now the EOS-20D. Granted they are more expensive than you are wanting to spend, but once you buy the glass you'll have it for life. You can always buy a nicer body later and still use the quality glass. I don't like buying anything slower than f/2.8, but that means extra cost and extra weight. I also don't want anything larger than 8mp. There's no reason unless you're doing posters, and the more the mp the fewer pictures can be held on a card and the longer the process times to work with the pictures on the computer. It also takes 4x the mp to double quality, so don't get caught up in the difference between a 7 or 8 or 9 mp specs.

bigmac
08-31-2006, 12:56 PM
Tool Palette 2

I'll have to take your word for it. I only use unsharp mask, rarely (if ever) use sharpen in either NC or Photoshop.

costal190
09-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Just got a canon digital rebel and love it.

bigmac
09-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Tool Palette 2

I'll have to take your word for it. I only use unsharp mask, rarely (if ever) use sharpen in either NC or Photoshop.

Ahh...I get it...you're talking about setting the sharpening on the RAW conversionhttp://forums.aswp.net/theme_aswp/smilies/Finger_fing20.gif. That changes the actual conversion process - same as if you changed the sharpening settings from the menu on the camera. As opposed to Unsharp Mask which is applied to the image after the conversion process (and therefore is available in JPEG editing too).

I usually have sharpening on the camera set to medium high, which IMHO makes the previews on the LCD more accurate, then I bump it back to Normal in Nikon Capture in the Advanced RAW palette, and then apply Unsharp Mask.

phecksel
09-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Ahh...I get it...you're talking about setting the sharpening on the RAW conversionhttp://forums.aswp.net/theme_aswp/smilies/Finger_fing20.gif. That changes the actual conversion process - same as if you changed the sharpening settings from the menu on the camera. As opposed to Unsharp Mask which is applied to the image after the conversion process (and therefore is available in JPEG editing too).

I usually have sharpening on the camera set to medium high, which IMHO makes the previews on the LCD more accurate, then I bump it back to Normal in Nikon Capture in the Advanced RAW palette, and then apply Unsharp Mask.
hmm, will have to try that

Kell
09-04-2006, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the good information in this thread. My wife has been talking about getting a DSLR. She currently has a Nikon that she purchased two years ago together with a telephoto lens. This is probably a dumb question, but will her current Nikon lens work with a Nikon DSLR such as the D50 that Leroy just purchased?

bigmac
09-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the good information in this thread. My wife has been talking about getting a DSLR. She currently has a Nikon that she purchased two years ago together with a telephoto lens. This is probably a dumb question, but will her current Nikon lens work with a Nikon DSLR such as the D50 that Leroy just purchased?Yes, it will fit the mount and will take pictures, but without knowing what camera or what lens, one can't say whether the lens will meter or autofocus. If it was bought within the last 3 years or so, it's very likely to work just fine with any Nikon dSLR.

Leroy
09-04-2006, 12:37 PM
I'm told all of the Nikon lens interchange, but check your local store, or else Bigmac will know! One of the advantages of staying with a brand.

Thanks for the good information in this thread. My wife has been talking about getting a DSLR. She currently has a Nikon that she purchased two years ago together with a telephoto lens. This is probably a dumb question, but will her current Nikon lens work with a Nikon DSLR such as the D50 that Leroy just purchased?

Leroy
09-04-2006, 12:41 PM
Anyone do any star trails? I tried last night but think it was not clear enough and I didn't have the settings right yet.

Kell
09-04-2006, 12:56 PM
Yes, it will fit the mount and will take pictures, but without knowing what camera or what lens, one can't say whether the lens will meter or autofocus. If it was bought within the last 3 years or so, it's very likely to work just fine with any Nikon dSLR.

Thanks Bigmac, she has the Nikon N65 SLR body, 28-80mm and 70-300mm Nikon AF Nikkor lens. I beleive both are autofocus.

bigmac
09-04-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks Bigmac, she has the Nikon N65 SLR body, 28-80mm and 70-300mm Nikon AF Nikkor lens. I beleive both are autofocus.

Both are "G" lenses and should work normally on any Nikon dSLR. They're consumer-level lenses and a little on the flimsy side. I don't know much about the 28-80, but the 70-300 AF-G is fairly highly regarded as a good lens for the price.

phecksel
09-04-2006, 08:38 PM
Both are "G" lenses and should work normally on any Nikon dSLR. They're consumer-level lenses and a little on the flimsy side. I don't know much about the 28-80, but the 70-300 AF-G is fairly highly regarded as a good lens for the price.
28-80 could be considered a throw away lens. If I were to buy right now, would wait and get the D80 with the new 18-135(?), or get the 18-200VR.

Kell
09-05-2006, 01:29 AM
Both are "G" lenses and should work normally on any Nikon dSLR. They're consumer-level lenses and a little on the flimsy side. I don't know much about the 28-80, but the 70-300 AF-G is fairly highly regarded as a good lens for the price.What is a "G" lens Bigmac? I took another look at my wifes lens and there is not "G" designation anywhere on the lens. Thanks.

bigmac
09-05-2006, 08:48 AM
What is a "G" lens Bigmac? I took another look at my wifes lens and there is not "G" designation anywhere on the lens. Thanks.

Is it this lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=207359&is=USA&addedTroughType=search)?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/207359.jpg

"G" refers to Nikon's latest line of lenses which are designed to work with cameras (film and digital) that use electronic metering. As such, they don't have an aperture ring for setting the len's f-stop because the camera meters that and sets the lens aperture automatically. Does your lens have an aperture ring?

gtink
09-05-2006, 09:28 AM
I love my Canon EOS Digital rebel XT
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154

I run 100-300 mm zoom as wel as 85mm portrait lens. GREAT for grabbing shoots @ high speed.

I never use the imagestabilization on the lenses, so save the money.

Kell
09-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Is it this lens (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=207359&is=USA&addedTroughType=search)?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/207359.jpg

"G" refers to Nikon's latest line of lenses which are designed to work with cameras (film and digital) that use electronic metering. As such, they don't have an aperture ring for setting the len's f-stop because the camera meters that and sets the lens aperture automatically. Does your lens have an aperture ring?Please accept my apologies Bigmac, I missed the "G" designation when I rechecked the lens. There is a "G" at the end of a string of numbers and the lens you posted is exactly the lens my wife has. Bot lens do not have an aperture ring. So I'm good to go. Thanks for all the help.

BuoyChaser
09-14-2006, 09:58 PM
we have a Canon EOS Rebel X SLR and if we upgrade to a digital camera and go with one of the entry level canons can we still use the slr auto lenses???

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos400d/

CAMERA BODY: Canon EOS RebelX

LENS: 70-300mm
1:4 - 5.6
LDO Macro
Quantaray for Canon AF

LENS: Canon 35-80mm
0.4m/1.3ft

bigmac
09-14-2006, 10:53 PM
we have a Canon EOS Rebel X SLR and if we upgrade to a digital camera and go with one of the entry level canons can we still use the slr auto lenses???

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos400d/

CAMERA BODY: Canon EOS RebelX

LENS: 70-300mm
1:4 - 5.6
LDO Macro
Quantaray for Canon AF

LENS: Canon 35-80mm
0.4m/1.3ft

The Rebel X used the Canon EF mount, as does the Rebel 400D. I know that the lens will fit the mount, but I don't know if it will meter or AF. I suspect it will, but ICBW.

BuoyChaser
09-15-2006, 12:13 AM
the Canon 350D is $610
compared to Nikon D50 for $550

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=search&Q=

Leroy
10-02-2006, 11:36 PM
Finally getting close to the right settings. A little overcast tonight. Lens 300mm, 1/250 shutter, f/8, ISO400.

bigmac
10-03-2006, 12:25 AM
Finally getting close to the right settings. A little overcast tonight. Lens 300mm, 1/250 shutter, f/8, ISO400.

Nice!

:dance:

costal190
10-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Cool Setting

Hoosier Bob
10-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Nioce shot! Monday Night Football? So what are u using? Cool pic Coastal!:D Cool Setting
Sorry, Costal!

costal190
10-08-2006, 09:17 AM
Same setting as Leroy, He's Da Man W/ the camera setting, I am using a Digital Rebel XT w/300 zoom lense. Don't know why my pic has a red hue at the bottom of the Moon.

BuoyChaser
10-08-2006, 09:39 AM
are there any nikon remanufactured D series cameras out there???

Leroy
10-08-2006, 10:26 AM
If you want the Team Talk of nikon cameras! Sure there many be other sites, but this one has been good for me to search on.

bigmac
10-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Same setting as Leroy, He's Da Man W/ the camera setting, I am using a Digital Rebel XT w/300 zoom lense. Don't know why my pic has a red hue at the bottom of the Moon.

Likely chromatic abberation - a function of lens design and coatings. The shot was a little overexposed, which will emphasize that problem that some lenses are more prone to.

bigmac
10-08-2006, 12:40 PM
If you want the Team Talk of nikon cameras! Sure there many be other sites, but this one has been good for me to search on.

Are you talking about Digital Photo Review (http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1021)? That's a HUGE bunch of Nikon users. It cab be kind of a contentious bunch, however, and the occasional flame wars do decrease the signal-to-noise ratio every so often.

On the other end of that scale is Nikonians (http://www.nikonians.org/). That group is far more moderated - almost to the point of oppression IMHO.

bigmac
10-08-2006, 05:47 PM
If you want to shoot the moon, you missed it by two nights. The moon was at perigee AND full moon last Friday. We're now in a waning gibbous moon, but still should be some good shots with 96% of the disk visible.

You can check the US Naval Observatory (http://aa.usno.navy.mil/data/docs/RS_OneDay.html) to get the time of moonrise for your location.