PDA

View Full Version : Concrete cutter- how deep does this thing cut?

mitch
08-25-2006, 10:28 AM
http://www.taylorrental.com/item_detail.asp?id=39

Any idea? Guy at Taylor guessed at 4" I need to cut a slab at the lake house to get to a cesspool/septic, and 6" would be ideal. Thanks figured you guys know just about everything so I'm asuming I'll have an answer to w/i 1/1000's of an inch w/i an hour:D

Maristar210
08-25-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.taylorrental.com/item_detail.asp?id=39

Any idea? Guy at Taylor guessed at 4" I need to cut a slab at the lake house to get to a cesspool/septic, and 6" would be ideal. Thanks figured you guys know just about everything so I'm asuming I'll have an answer to w/i 1/1000's of an inch w/i an hour:D

4" - 4-1/2" looks about right. It does not look like a 6" IMO. Cutting capacity is usually 1/3 the diameter of the wheel on the unit. For a 6" cut a 18 in wheel would be around the minimum.

see:http://www.contractorsdirect.com/Target-MC-18-Concrete-Saw

Steve

TMCNo1
08-25-2006, 11:57 AM
Discuss and ask questions about everything with the rental company if you rent. They should also have a operators manual, outling the saws capabilities. Tell them the depth you expect to cut and the length of the cuts, because good saw blades aren't cheap. Use PLENTY of water to keep the blade cool, wash away debris and prevent dust.
I worked for a asphalt paving company for 4 years and we went through about [1] $600 diamond tipped blade a month cutting asphalt about once a week for a couple hours.

SD190EVO
08-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Keep in mind, if your slab is 6" and you cut 4" of it. It will probably break at the cut (like scoring a piece of glass) and you'd still have a nice clean cut. Might not need to go thru the *whole* thing.

mitch
08-25-2006, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys, Taylor said about 6"

Tom023
08-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Sounds like a question for Gene.

JDK
08-25-2006, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys, Taylor said about 6"

That's with a new blade. If you need a 6" cut to do all your work, take along an extra blade or 2.

mitch
08-25-2006, 01:31 PM
That's with a new blade. If you need a 6" cut to do all your work, take along an extra blade or 2.

Did not think of that. figure I need to cut about 60" for a 12"x12" square 'hole' I imagine they'll start me out w/ a new blade????

Rockman
08-25-2006, 01:36 PM
Did not think of that. figure I need to cut about 60" for a 12"x12" square 'hole' I imagine they'll start me out w/ a new blade????

Not likely....:noface:

phecksel
08-25-2006, 02:10 PM
I dug up several feet of basement floor to move a bathroom. All you need to do is score the cement 1/4" deep, with a diamond blade on a circular saw. Used a jack hammer on the bulk of the floor, until I found some bad pipe and had to extend the cuts. Gotta love swinging a sledge hammer while on your knees!

shepherd
08-25-2006, 05:11 PM

wouldn't that be 48"? :o

TMCNo1
08-25-2006, 05:24 PM
wouldn't that be 48"? :o

He will have to overcut the start and finish of each corner to get thru the entire depth of the concrete, because the center of the blade is above the concrete surface and not at the bottom elevation of the concrete, thus the extra added to the 4'.

mitch
08-25-2006, 06:03 PM
He will have to overcut the start and finish of each corner to get thru the entire depth of the concrete, because the center of the blade is above the concrete surface and not at the bottom elevation of the concrete, thus the extra added to the 4'.

Bingo! Also thought of a jackhammer, but I'm trying to keep it sorta clean. It's in a visible spot. Thanks all!!

Mag_Red
08-25-2006, 06:54 PM
Bingo! Also thought of a jackhammer, but I'm trying to keep it sorta clean. It's in a visible spot. Thanks all!!Ain't nothing going to be clean when you start cutting that slab;)

mitch
08-25-2006, 07:01 PM
Ain't nothing going to be clean when you start cutting that slab;)

Prolly kidding myself, huh:rolleyes:

Mag_Red
08-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Prolly kidding myself, huh:rolleyes:Is the slab inside??? I'm guessing not as you said it's to gain access to the septic. If inside, prepare for a damned mess.

TMCNo1
08-25-2006, 08:23 PM
Is the slab inside??? I'm guessing not as you said it's to gain access to the septic. If inside, prepare for a damned mess.

Wait till he takes the lid off the tank!:eek: One of the "Dirtiest Jobs"!

mitch
08-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Is the slab inside??? I'm guessing not as you said it's to gain access to the septic. If inside, prepare for a damned mess.

Here's the slab. At this point I'm thinking empty it and cement it closed. It's been 8 years since the last empty, so this seems like a good idea. Not sure where to purchase a smallish sewer cover and 'receiver' If I had something like that I could mortor it in place and just silicone the cover in place to keep any odor from seeping out. Any other idea's?? Thanks!

Mag_Red
08-28-2006, 01:38 PM
What ever you do be sure to check what the local building codes.:twocents:

mitch
08-28-2006, 02:29 PM
Just found this. Looks like 275 bucks for a 12x12, bolted and gasketed. 4 week lead time. This might do it, and it's not too far from me.

http://www.lebaronfoundry.com/pc-94-37-type-fc.aspx

M-Funf
08-28-2006, 02:58 PM

That's the same rig my fence guy used to cut a 2" wide channel across my driveway. It cut just about 3-1/2" deep, but I don't think the blade was new. My driveway was about 4-1/2 to 5" deep (surprised both of us). I used a cold chisel and sledge to get the rest out...:o

The new cover looks nice...

Good Luck!

RexDog1
08-28-2006, 05:20 PM
It might be a personal question….but how big is your blade?

The bigger the blade deeper the cut
You just need the horsepower to back it up

TMCno1 is right the rental company will tell you what you need
Good luck, it is not fun, wear ear and eye protection :cool:

SkiDog
08-28-2006, 07:53 PM
It might be a personal question….but how big is your blade?

The bigger the blade deeper the cut
You just need the horsepower to back it up

TMCno1 is right the rental company will tell you what you need
Good luck, it is not fun, wear ear and eye protection :cool:

Better yet, Hire it done!:D

mitch
08-29-2006, 07:52 AM
Better yet, Hire it done!:D

Local septic guys did not want to touch it. It's a small job