PDA

View Full Version : Discontinued skins

tph
11-16-2004, 11:08 PM
I was recently told by a dealer that as of the end of this year, MC will no longer carry upholstery skins for boats older than 1993. Pre '93 owners may want to check into this. :eek:

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 10:26 AM
With a 93, I'm breathing a sigh of relief. I want to replace my motorbox skin and a couple of others, just not at this very instant.

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 11:21 AM
My nearby dealer said that this was partially true, but that it was really directed more toward boats like the tristar and 200 VRS, which didn't sell as many units as, say, the prostar series.

lakes Rick
11-17-2004, 08:34 PM
OH NO, not the TriStar!!!!!! What are the 3 people who own these gonna do.......

André
11-17-2004, 09:11 PM
Same thing that the 4 th one did...Change boat! LOL

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 03:59 PM
Well, just a little update on the discontinued skins issue. When I received my new skins ordered in late December, I started wishing I'd ordered a few more as the non-white portions of my interior were a little more faded than I believed they were.

When I called Bennetts back, I was told that they could get one piece, but not another, but need to check with MC. This, of course, made no sense considered in conjunction with the notion that these are custom made as ordered. He agreed. This morning, I got the call, they could, in fact, make one, but not the other. No biggie, as the one I really wanted was the one they could make, and as for the other, well, that one will just have to never wear out. It's in good shape.

I seem to remember hearing the year '99 and newer as to skins they were still replacing.

I guess, for future orders, MC doesn't get to make any money. So be it.

Brn85ss
01-24-2005, 04:22 PM
My dealer was just a mad as I was that he couldn't get the skins.Easy money for the dealer. I just don't get it.

east tx skier
01-24-2005, 04:37 PM
Yeah, seems like a dumb thing to be random about. Clearly they can get the materials as they are making me a bow seat back. I was perfectly willing to buy an observer seat back, but now it's money in my pocket, not MC's.

Of course, my replacement side panels didn't come with the heat-stamped logo anyway. So as far as the observer seat back, I might prefer to let a local shop do it, and cut out the portion with the heat stamp to use in the new seat.

Brn85ss
01-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Yeah, seems like a dumb thing to be random about. Clearly they can get the materials as they are making me a bow seat back. I was perfectly willing to buy an observer seat back, but now it's money in my pocket, not MC's.

Of course, my replacement side panels didn't come with the heat-stamped logo anyway. So as far as the observer seat back, I might prefer to let a local shop do it, and cut out the portion with the heat stamp to use in the new seat.

I saw a show last week about stiching logo's in hats,shirts etc.Pretty neat you enter your logo into the computor and the machine stiches it up,took less than a minute.I think i'm just going to have something like that done when it's time for my interior rebuild.

Lance
01-24-2005, 06:14 PM
This whole thing about discontinuing skins is a little disappointing for those of us that love our boat and want to refresh it for the second half of its life. Few things look as good as an old MC with new skins which I think would ultimately reflect positively on MC. I understand that they can't carry the exact same material forever but you would think they could put a transition plan in place to at least move to something new that was still reasonable close to original.

Oh well, I guess as the owners it is their decision to make.

JimN
01-24-2005, 07:41 PM
They can want the same material as much as you do, but the companies that make the vinyl won't make it forever. If they sold as much material for replacement seat covers as they do for cars, it would be another story since there are a lot more of a given model of car. I would call MC and find out what they will be doing with the old patterns and get as much info about the color, pattern and manufacturer of the vinyl as I can. They used to sell the patterns to a shop down there in TN, run by someone who worked in/ran the upholstery dept at MC.

Tom Wortham
01-25-2005, 04:16 PM
Well, just a little update on the discontinued skins issue. When I received my new skins ordered in late December, I started wishing I'd ordered a few more as the non-white portions of my interior were a little more faded than I believed they were.

When I called Bennetts back, I was told that they could get one piece, but not another, but need to check with MC. This, of course, made no sense considered in conjunction with the notion that these are custom made as ordered. He agreed. This morning, I got the call, they could, in fact, make one, but not the other. No biggie, as the one I really wanted was the one they could make, and as for the other, well, that one will just have to never wear out. It's in good shape.

I seem to remember hearing the year '99 and newer as to skins they were still replacing.

I guess, for future orders, MC doesn't get to make any money. So be it.

Doug,
Curious to know, when you put your order in...and how many skins you ordered. :confused: I have not received mine :( , however, I ordered a full set. I'll wait a week or two then drop them a line. Not sure they will be able to give me an update.

Any others out there that ordered skins mid-December 2004 (from Bennetts) and still waiting?

east tx skier
01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
I ordered roughly a week before Christmas if memory serves. I received them last Thursday. That is incredibly fast as the last time, I only ordered 1 skin and it took, as predicted, the full six weeks. The mid-December order consisted of both side panels, the motorbox, driver's seat base, and bow seat back cushion (port). Yesterday's order was for the starboard bow seat back cushion. They declined to make me a new observer seat back because the stars didn't line up for that one or something.

milkmania
01-25-2005, 11:23 PM
This whole thing about discontinuing skins is a little disappointing for those of us that love our boat and want to refresh it for the second half of its life. Few things look as good as an old MC with new skins which I think would ultimately reflect positively on MC. I understand that they can't carry the exact same material forever but you would think they could put a transition plan in place to at least move to something new that was still reasonable close to original.

Oh well, I guess as the owners it is their decision to make.

seems they could out-source it to a major upholstery shop.....like they do for vintage automobiles. or maybe someone may come along and see the need for making boats skins???

scott88prostar
01-26-2005, 08:29 AM
Tom

Im still waiting!.....I bought a week before christmas also.....I also purchased the full set.

Tom Wortham
01-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Skins arrived yesterday. (While I was at work). Now that is timing. :D However I was a little suprised. My org. skins are gray in color with the three blue stripes. These were white with the blue stripes. I guess they do not have the gray any more. Since I bought a full set... it probably won't matter. The gray did get a little hot in the summer... plus they never looked "clean". But, they also, never showed dirt. I'll be sure to post some during and after shots. Now the "project" begins. 86 MC.

east tx skier
01-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Interesting that they didn't match. I think you'll like the white. Just keep 'em clean. I'm saving my new skins until my current ones are painful to look at.

Tom Wortham
01-26-2005, 11:44 AM
The story continues... Thought I would share. I called MC to ask them do they still make the "Gray". They said "yes, they make white, gray, and tan... Bennetts ordered white. I told Greg at MC, I thought that is why I gave my Hull number to Bennetts to make sure I got the right color. :mad: Just got off the phone with Bennetts, Estaban (sp?) said he would have to call me back. If you order skins... make sure you tell them what color. I guess the gray were not as common... so they made the wrong executive decision and made mine white. This should be interesting. I'll keep everyone informed. :popcorn: Since the boat is gray, I think the gray skins will look better. The white will stand out too much.
Any comments from any other 86 owners?

east tx skier
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Bummer. My dealings with Bennett's so far have been very good. Esteban has been great about getting back to me on things. I hope they make it right for you.

JimN
01-26-2005, 01:01 PM
Make sure that whoever installs the skins used stainless staples. They won't rust and stain everything the rust contacts.

speckeen
01-26-2005, 02:13 PM
Since the boat is gray, I think the gray skins will look better. The white will stand out too much.
Any comments from any other 86 owners?

I agree, if possible I would go with gray instead of white. The guy that did my rear seat and observer seat cushions just bought some gray and black vinyl, and made them himself. When it comes time for me to redo the interior, I am just going to look for vinyl that matches and use the old skins as a pattern.

Tom Wortham
01-27-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I am going to send back the white ones and get gray ones. Got the stainless staples. Thanks. ;) Regarding "form" or filler for the seats. If I do decide to do this my self... any ideas what type and where to pick up form to make sure the seats are filled out?
Few other questions as I think about this project:
1. Rear bench... I don't think there is any wood... curious to know how the skins are attached... maybe heat glue? That could get ugly. :eek:
2. The carpet that goes on the bottom of the engine box... I'm assuming glue again? Can't staple into the fiberglass? engine box.
3. Do I need to seek out "Marine Plywood". The wood doesn't look too bad that is in the drivers seat bottom and the observers seat.
Thoughts? Success Stories?

Tom Wortham
01-27-2005, 11:40 AM
I agree, if possible I would go with gray instead of white. The guy that did my rear seat and observer seat cushions just bought some gray and black vinyl, and made them himself. When it comes time for me to redo the interior, I am just going to look for vinyl that matches and use the old skins as a pattern.
Would like to see some Pics if you have them.

tph
01-27-2005, 12:14 PM
[QUOTE=Tom Wortham]Yeah, I am going to send back the white ones and get gray ones. Got the stainless staples. Thanks. ;) Regarding "form" or filler for the seats. If I do decide to do this my self... any ideas what type and where to pick up form to make sure the seats are filled out?
Few other questions as I think about this project:

I have a similar MC and I think the answers below are correct.

1. Rear bench... I don't think there is any wood... curious to know how the skins are attached... maybe heat glue? That could get ugly. :eek:

Wood stapling strips have been imbedded in the foam material of the back seat.

2. The carpet that goes on the bottom of the engine box... I'm assuming glue again? Can't staple into the fiberglass? engine box.

The carpet is glued to the glass engine box and a stapling strip has been riveted above the carpeted area to attach the motor box skin.

3. Do I need to seek out "Marine Plywood". The wood doesn't look too bad that is in the drivers seat bottom and the observers seat.

I would use marine plywood where replacement is necessary.

Thoughts? Success Stories?

JimN
01-27-2005, 12:30 PM
Tom- call an upholstery shop that does car interiors and ask if they have a steamer. Steam plumps sagging foam. It can be done with a spray bottle with water and a heat gun, but it takes a lot longer and there's a risk of melting the foam. Or, you could spray the water on the foam and go over it with a hot iron set to steam, keeping a thin towel between the the iron and the foam.

speckeen
01-27-2005, 01:42 PM
Would like to see some Pics if you have them.

The boat is currently in storage, and I do not have any pictures.

Tom Wortham
01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
Thanks guys! :D