PDA

View Full Version : The Secret Spot

Farmer Ted
11-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Rumor has it.....

the DVD and Soundtrack should be available for purchase the end of this week :banana:

If you haven't seen the trailer I highly recommend you download this and check it out, would make an excellent Christmas present!

10 Meg
http://www.callawaybrothersfilms.com/video/trailer_hi.wmv

DVD will have a crash segment at the end and 22 minutes of special features including Pat Green's video Wave on Wave

T

BriEOD
11-16-2004, 10:29 PM
Pretty Sweet!! :banana:

Farmer Ted
11-18-2004, 11:38 PM
Stores open!!!
http://www.thesecretspothd.com/store.html

bradamerry
11-19-2004, 09:23 AM
Farmer, I did not see a shot of me in that video :( ?

TTAdmin
11-19-2004, 10:40 AM
What's the premise behind that video? Is is just a mix or skiing/riding from the various watersports? It looks pretty interesting.

Farmer Ted
11-19-2004, 11:55 AM
TT Admin,

From the site...
http://www.thesecretspothd.com/Synopsis.html

...Travel to a remote Texas river to enjoy a glimpse of this secluded paradise. The Secret Spot, documents a weekend spent at the river that the filmmaker fell in love with as a child and has never outgrown. Experience the quiet splendor of the landscape as well as the raw power of the athletes who come here for recreation or to train for national and world competitions. Many of the diverse and colorful people who are drawn to these waters have been coming here for generations and are passing their love of the river and passion for their sport onto their children. Each interview reveals that no matter how different each family or individual may seem on the surface, deep inside they all share common motivations for coming to The Secret Spot. One local "river rat" summarized it best when he said, "The river’s got a soul to it. It just gets into your blood."

Since there are approximately 40 million waterskiers worldwide it is amazing that The Secret Spot is the first comprehensive inland water sports documentary ever produced. The film features athletes from slalom, barefoot, trick, Sky ski, wakesurf and wakeboard events. The power and artistry of the athletes is captured in 1080i high definition format that reveals every straining muscle and cascading spray of water. The river cuts through 300’ cliffs that shelter the river from winds and provide skiers with year round water that is smooth as glass. This particular river has been ranked as one of the top water skiing sites in the U.S. All of the featured athletes agreed to be filmed only if the location was kept secret.

bcampbe7
11-19-2004, 12:39 PM
At the end of that trailer it looks like that guy is doing a bridge start. Is that you Tex?!? :cool:

tex
11-20-2004, 08:39 AM
At the end of that trailer it looks like that guy is doing a bridge start. Is that you Tex?!? :cool:
no, i would have demanded $$$$ to keep my mouth shut!

André
11-20-2004, 11:14 AM
I must have listen 10 times with full sound at that engine rumble in that dock start...Nice!

Leroy
11-20-2004, 08:11 PM
Awesome, can't wait to buy it! The boarder over the rocks is a bit crazy, love to watch that stuff.

André
11-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Did you noticed the lenght of the jumps on the sky ski? WOW

Foiler
11-21-2004, 11:58 PM
Here's a sequence photo from the pro tour high jump competition this year.

Ryan
11-22-2004, 12:29 AM
I am seriously itching to get this DVD. I have relegated to just adding it to my Christmas list. I would love to hear how it is when someone buys it! I know wouldn't doubt if someone on this board already received their copy. Keep us posted.

Farmer Ted
11-22-2004, 06:43 PM
I just got the confirmation email that it shipped, hopefully it will be here before thursday!

Leroy
11-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Tim; How did you order?

Edit Dooh, just had to look!

atlfootr
12-01-2004, 10:46 AM

I know a couple of guy's in the video and some of the barefooters too. The one standing on bridge at the end is named Gary and I'd say that this so called "Secret Spot" is somewhere on the Brazo River. :eek3: Not so secret anymore ....

VTJC
12-01-2004, 11:32 AM
I got my copy of the Secret Spot Monday and watched it twice. I was really exited to get it after seeing the excellent trailer! It seems like a beautiful place to ski, with great bare footing and sky ski footage. However I found the editing and storyline lacking. I loaned it to my buddy who watched it last night here are his thoughts “Secret Spot vid was pretty bad.. I have to say.. just terrible, cheesy editing.... there were a few good scenes...” I thought some of those on the fence might like a review. Jamie

Leroy
12-01-2004, 11:38 AM
VTJC; sorry to hear that, I have high expectations after watching their promo, maybe they spent too much time on the promo. Also, storyline? Maybe my expectation is different, I thought it would just be a bunch of shots of awesome skiing!

But then again I would probably have bought the clip Neil posted! ;)

VTJC
12-01-2004, 11:56 AM
I suppose I should clarify. They had interviews and stories woven in between and during action about people/families that come to the SS. I found them for the most part to be unremarkable and they detracted from the excellent scenery and good action. Would I rent if for $5 one night, of course, do I regret buying a copy, probably… Jamie

AirJunky
12-01-2004, 01:35 PM
Hey Jamie,
That seems to be the consensus among the riders on the Hydrofoil list too. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hydrofoil

Great skiing footage from all discipilines but not enough of it. Interviews & the video in general are about the river itself & not the skiing.

After seeing the promo, it's disappointing to hear that.

Leroy
12-13-2004, 02:01 PM
I really liked it overall and going into it knew it wasn't a Steven Spielberg movie. Would like to see technical side of the different events added. I would like to see this grow, sure Warren Miller started out pretty small also and his movies are great.

You can imagine several paths, I think this would be great if they started going around the country filming people and making water ski movies.

east tx skier
12-13-2004, 02:12 PM
I haven't seen the Secret Spot. As for Warren Miller, I think he has raised the bar pretty high for skiing documentaries (can't wait to see the next one with Mapple tearing it up). His old stuff is as great as his new stuff. A few things that I believe help him stand apart: (1) that great voice for the narrations ("you want your skis, go get 'em), (2) he uses film, and (3) the story is always, this is how we got up there, and this is how we got down (any interviews are usually tongue in cheek).

My :twocents:

jimmer2880
12-14-2004, 05:53 AM
I haven't seen the Secret Spot. As for Warren Miller, I think he has raised the bar pretty high for skiing documentaries (can't wait to see the next one with Mapple tearing it up). His old stuff is as great as his new stuff. A few things that I believe help him stand apart: (1) that great voice for the narrations ("you want your skis, go get 'em), (2) he uses film, and (3) the story is always, this is how we got up there, and this is how we got down (any interviews are usually tongue in cheek).

My :twocents:
I agree. A lot of skiers bust on Warren Miller, but honestly, I haven't liked anybody else's stuff that I've seen. Warren also seems to always have a "retro" section in his flicks. Like the "you want your skis, go get 'em", or the old B/W stuff.

Farmer Ted
12-14-2004, 07:33 AM
My recent DVD purchases were Andy Mapple's DVD and The Secret Spot.

Mapple DVD blows, it's not marketed correctly. It should include somewhere in the advert that it's an hour of shooting the $hit around the table with Andy, Gordon Rathbun, and two other chucks. Oh well live and learn.

Anyone interested in buying it PM me and it's yours for $25 shipping included.

The Secret Spot, was a slice of everything you can do behind a ski boat sans teak surfing and I'm sure some of those guys probably seek the euphoric effect of a direct drives exhaust.

I believe TSS was hyped as the "first ever inland watersports documentary" it didn't go too indepth regarding the actual history of waterskiing and all the other versions but I think the intended message was delivered.

There's a boat load of people who spend time on the water, with their families, it's good clean fun
(most of the time :banana: ) get your family and find your own secret spot, inspire your children to put down the playstation and get off their fat duff and do something outdoors.

Has anyone seen the Warren Miller film? I saw an ad on Speed the other night which I believe is the downloadable trailer. Uh, just how much water skiing do you guys anticipate being in the movie? A slalom pass with Andy Mapple? and the rest guys are skiing on water albeit frozen water it looks like a snow skiing film.

Hopefully all these DVDs will push inland watersports to the forefront and encourage OLN to show waterskiing earlier than 2 in the morning.

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 10:28 AM
I'd heard that about the Mapple video and have resisted the temptation to buy it as a result. The Drew Ross shortline video is really good, albeit cheezie at first. Great combination of instruction and video. It begins and ends with some incredible footage.

I don't really expect extensive water ski footage in the WM film. But he shot 8,000 feet of film in Acapulco. That's a lot! It might not be a bad idea to start hitting his site with emails requesting more water skiing in the future.

I bought the Warren Miller Box Set that includes "Cold Fusion," "Fifty," "Ride," and "Storm." Money well spent. Always gets me psyched up for the other water skiing.

For some really fun ski footage to watch, I can't recommend highly enough taking your camcorder out with you. We have so much ski footage, you'd really think we didn't do anything else last summer, and last summer was a little short on the skiing as far as I was concerned (too many out of town trips planned).

Farmer Ted
12-14-2004, 11:36 AM
Doug,

Are the other WM films waterski films or snow films? I agree with the video camera in the boat. I got tired of getting sea sick watching the video my daughter took and didn't want to shell out the bucks for a trakker, too lazy to make Leroys version so I just bought a cheap tripod and let my daughter work it. The video turned out surprisingly good compared to freehand.

I just got a computer with a dual layer dvd burner on it so I'll be making some dvd's of this summer once I'm done moving...

Another thing to remember about The Secret Spot is it's filmed in 1080 HD so it's got some pretty impressive video even if you don't have an HD tv.

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 12:04 PM
They're all snow (the new one is the first one with water ski footage).

Burners are the best, although Dual Layer DVD-Rs at $8 a pop are still too expensive to make them worth buying. I just buy the DVD5s at a buck a pop. Nero has some really good recoding software, and if your DVD player can handle MP4, so much the better. They'll come down in price eventually (which is why I got the dual layer capable burner as well).

The tripod does work surprisingly well. Trakkers are great unless your skier gets a lot of slack in the rope, in which case you need to make sure it's zoomed out enough so you don't lose them. We only use the trakker when there's only the driver and the skier. With the image stabalization on, handheld shots are tolerable.

How does HD translate to DVD? I suppose if you're using the component video cables, i.e., X, Y, and Z (as opposed to s-video or RCA), and have an HD compatible TV, you'll get the benefits, right?. I really need to upgrade my video cables as I have an HD compatible widescreen TV, but am waiting to upgrade my tuner until there's a reasonable amount of HD programming for the price.

vtbuehler
12-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Have seen the Warren Miller film and it's a snowboard and snow skiing film with about
5 mins of Mapple and boys skiing. It was a big let down after reading about it in Watersking mag. Of course living in Vermont everyone was there for the snow action.
And the questions about Warren Millers on whether or not they are snow or water skiing, they are all snow except this last film with the 5 minutes.

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 02:32 PM
As far as I'm concerned, 5 minutes of water skiing in a Warren Miller movie is a treat. I'm a pretty avid snow skier (as avid as someone from Texas can be). So I get those movies for the powder action. Can't wait to see it! :banana:

jimmer2880
12-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Have seen the Warren Miller film and it's a snowboard and snow skiing film with about
5 mins of Mapple and boys skiing. It was a big let down after reading about it in Watersking mag. Of course living in Vermont everyone was there for the snow action.
And the questions about Warren Millers on whether or not they are snow or water skiing, they are all snow except this last film with the 5 minutes.
Did you happen to see it at the Flynn theater? My sister lives in Stowe & one year while visiting her, I saw the WM flick Storm at the Flynn.... The amount energy in that theater was INSANE! There is nothing like it.

River Rat
12-14-2004, 04:14 PM
My recent DVD purchases were Andy Mapple's DVD and The Secret Spot.

There's a boat load of people who spend time on the water, with their families, it's good clean fun
(most of the time :banana: ) get your family and find your own secret spot, inspire your children to put down the playstation and get off their fat duff and do something outdoors.

and encourage OLN to show waterskiing earlier than 2 in the morning.

I agree completely……my 12 year old he is a video nut, but nothing can compare to that day when he walked up to his friends and said yea… I went barefooten today…. Oh yea, nothing to it. :D Keep you kids busy or someone will do it for you!

east tx skier
12-14-2004, 04:40 PM
That said, GTA-San Andreas has proven just the ticket to get through the winter months. ;)

Farmer Ted
12-14-2004, 05:43 PM
It's all about the kids, Big and small!

Farmer Ted
12-14-2004, 05:56 PM
I know a couple of guy's in the video and some of the barefooters too. The one standing on bridge at the end is named Gary and I'd say that this so called "Secret Spot" is somewhere on the Brazo River. :eek3: Not so secret anymore ....

If you watch the video, they don't do a very good job of keeping the secret spot a secret.

Watch the video, there is one dead giveaway.

vtbuehler
12-14-2004, 08:39 PM
Yes, we saw the Warren Miller at the Flynn Thearter, and the place was packed. We had seen other WM films there and everyone is loving the big mountain scenes and the powder skiing, since powder days are far and few compared to the west. The waterskiing season is short, so when you want to see some really good stuff you hope to see alot more then what was in the WM film, it would be great if he came out with the whole film he shot with Mapple and the other skiers any way it is one of the better WM films.

MarkP
12-14-2004, 08:58 PM
Warren ROCKS!! :headbang:

jimmer2880
12-15-2004, 07:13 AM
Yes, we saw the Warren Miller at the Flynn Thearter, and the place was packed. We had seen other WM films there and everyone is loving the big mountain scenes and the powder skiing, since powder days are far and few compared to the west. The waterskiing season is short, so when you want to see some really good stuff you hope to see alot more then what was in the WM film, it would be great if he came out with the whole film he shot with Mapple and the other skiers any way it is one of the better WM films.
I hear you on the short season... My sister took her tri-star with her when she moved up ~10+ years ago and usually only gets 6-10 days per year on it.

If I'm ever up there again when the flick is playing at the Flynn, I'm sure going to go. I've seen most of them, a few in theaters, but they stopped showing it anywhere near DC. Even when I did see them in a local theater, it wasn't anywhere near as enjoyable as the Flynn. Nothing compares to the energy that surrounds you at the Flynn.

jpattigr
12-16-2004, 11:54 PM
The new WM flick was well received here as our local hills were well represented with all the Alberta (Lake Louise, Sunshine footage) and BC shots.

The house was rocking and very load cheers for all the local skiers and riders that were here for the film's deput!!

I live between Calgary and Banff and the skiing is great summer and winter!! :D