PDA

View Full Version : Bricks and Stones...............?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2006, 12:03 PM
Anyone done a paver stone project lately, ie. patio? Yourself or contracted?

Maristar210
08-24-2006, 12:07 PM
Anyone done a paver stone project lately, ie. patio? Yourself or contracted?

Pendo did. I remember seeing pics Here:http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10839&highlight=weekend+projects

Rockman
08-24-2006, 02:26 PM
If you can get a bunch of guys for free labor, it's worth doing yourself.

Just need to do it in steps. If done properly, you can save alot of money.

Otherwise, the more bigger projects are better left to the professionals who can do it quicker and possibly better all around.

:twocents:

bdecker
08-24-2006, 02:36 PM
My project was 5 years back. Used Bolduc pavers as well as a Bolduc retaining wall. Came out nice, key is the foundation, especially for the walkway. I remember using Hardpack and stone dust, and a tremendous amount of power tamping. I also set up rails (hard plastic and spiked into the ground) along the edges, which allowed me to easily screet the foundation and get a nice even surface for the pavers. Once set in place, I put a 4x8 sheet of plywood over it and powertamped on top of the pavers, then finally the sweeping stone dust routine. Walkway and walls probably costs $3-5K (been awhile). but I was quoted $20k+. Anyway, house is supposed to be sold tomorrow, and unfortunately I don't have pictures, but a good foundation will make your project stand out as a quality job. We looked at lots of pricey houses with absolutely terrible walkways because the builders just threw a couple of inches of sand under the brick/ pavers. Do that, and in less than a year you are in ankle sprain territory!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2006, 05:19 PM
I was thinkin' concrete at first, but having a stone patio would be nice, I've always done wood decks, so I think its time for stone.

Rockman- Free labor doesn't exist by me anymore. You've never tried to pay these guys in beer & food (which is the way it usually works). It would be less to have it done....;)

So what's the rule, 6" of crushed stone compacted in layers? Leveled, compacted again, lay paver stones, compact again, insert fine stone between? Sounds simple enough right?

scott88prostar
08-24-2006, 05:53 PM
Workin

Have you looked at stamped concrete...some nice stuff...Im going with brick in the spring because I can do it myself....the power tamping on the plywood over the brick was a great suggestion.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-24-2006, 09:00 PM
Workin

Have you looked at stamped concrete...some nice stuff...Im going with brick in the spring because I can do it myself....the power tamping on the plywood over the brick was a great suggestion.
I see your in Grayslake, I'll be up that way in a few weeks for the sled races. You going?
A buddy of mine had the stamped crete done for a sidewalk, I forgot about that until you mentioned it.