PDA

View Full Version : installing eyelets for tie downs?

DooSPX
08-23-2006, 08:09 PM
I was thinking about adding eyelets on the back of the prop guard for tiedowns on a 91 MS PS trailer.
good idea?

MarkP
08-23-2006, 08:17 PM
I did it and am considering putting about a 3Ē X about 3/8 notch in the platform so I can use them while the platform is on the boat..
You can just see one of them under the platform.

I say good Idea..

cwright
08-23-2006, 08:26 PM
I have the same issue. My 88PS190 has no factory provided means for securing boat to trailer. I've posted a previous thread on this and most members suggested going over the gunnwhales with a 2" wide strap, securing boat to trailer. I have thought about putting long u-bolts in my trailer frame back as far as I can go, and coming up with a very short device to grab onto the platform support gussets, keeping the whole thing under the platform, as opposed to through it. Haven't got to it yet, but will probably do some variation of that soon.

DooSPX
08-23-2006, 08:30 PM
mark, where the pics of the finished platform you promised :D

Mag_Red
08-23-2006, 08:32 PM
I did it and am considering putting about a 3Ē X about 3/8 notch in the platform so I can use them while the platform is on the boat..
You can just see one of them under the platform.

I say good Idea..
Good idea Mark! Looks like it would be pretty simple to cut some slots to match the ones on the other edge of the platform, route the edges, and hook up your tie downs.:headbang:

MarkP
08-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I have the same issue. My 88PS190 has no factory provided means for securing boat to trailer. I've posted a previous thread on this and most members suggested going over the gunnwhales with a 2" wide strap, securing boat to trailer. I have thought about putting long u-bolts in my trailer frame back as far as I can go, and coming up with a very short device to grab onto the platform support gussets, keeping the whole thing under the platform, as opposed to through it. Haven't got to it yet, but will probably do some variation of that soon.
I donít know how much good going to the platform bracket will do. Iíd say in an emergency, the bracket would break and you may just rip it out of the boat on bumpy roads.. I think if you cant go between the transom and the platform, over the gunwales is the way to go..

MarkP
08-23-2006, 08:40 PM
mark, where the pics of the finished platform you promised :D
Iíve got a few but was waiting to get in the water for full effect.. I hope to get out sat and sun.. Its been a little crazy at home. School started today and one has moved to the middle school and itís the others first year of ďfull dayĒ..

Boy it looks like you have a project on your hands. The next time I talk to you on the phone Iíll try to offer some suggestions..

MarkP
08-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Good idea Mark! Looks like it would be pretty simple to cut some slots to match the ones on the other edge of the platform, route the edges, and hook up your tie downs.:headbang:
That’s it.. But after all the work making that platform I was a little apprehensive about just adding the hand holes.. I have to get my nerve back up..

DooSPX
08-23-2006, 10:00 PM
Iíve got a few but was waiting to get in the water for full effect.. I hope to get out sat and sun.. Its been a little crazy at home. School started today and one has moved to the middle school and itís the others first year of ďfull dayĒ..

Boy it looks like you have a project on your hands. The next time I talk to you on the phone Iíll try to offer some suggestions..

I know.... I dont get it... thats like 6 coats of oil, and sanding between....
it SUCKS BAD!!! :mad:

east tx skier
08-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Mark, that looks great!

MarkP
08-23-2006, 11:32 PM
Thanks Doug.