PDA

View Full Version : Tranny fluid change?

Mikey
08-23-2006, 03:26 PM
The previous owner of my boat told me that he hadnt changed the fluid on it because he only put about 60 hrs on it. I dont know how often or if ever the fluid was changed before he owned it. From past experience with vehichle transmissions with high mileage if you change the fluid that has never been changed before you are probably going to be changing a tranny soon after. Does this hold true with boat transmissions? Im affraid to change the fluid on the boat and have the tranny crap out on me shortly after. Any advice?

east tx skier
08-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I bought my boat when it was ten years old and have no idea how frequently the transmission fluid was changed. I now change it every fall when I winterize. I just pump it out and replace it with the exact amount I pump out. Over 600 hours and no issues yet. (knock wood).

vogelm1
08-23-2006, 08:08 PM
One possible way to check is rub a little fluid off the dipstick onto a white paper towel. If it's a nice pinkish color I would say it's been maintained pretty good. If it shows up dark red, brown, or has a burnt smell to it...not so good. Most cars and trucks now days don't require a change for 100K, like maybe you've mentioned. Would certainly believe the same is true for a boat except we're operating in a water environment, greatly increasing the chance for water to somehow get into the tranny. However, we all tend to baby our prized MC's, so it's best to follow the manual and change annually or every 100 hrs. Easy job and done just as eastie says. Good luck -

bbutler2001
09-21-2006, 06:23 PM
FYI!! For newer Ford Expedition owners, 03 and up, read the service interval, if you have a certain transmission they say to service it every 30,000 miles. we had a customer who had one go out at 38000 and they said if they had changed the fluid like they were supposed to they could have warrantied it.

B

Farmer Ted
09-21-2006, 06:32 PM
One possible way to check is rub a little fluid off the dipstick onto a white paper towel. If it's a nice pinkish color I would say it's been maintained pretty good. If it shows up dark red, brown, or has a burnt smell to it...not so good. Most cars and trucks now days don't require a change for 100K, like maybe you've mentioned. Would certainly believe the same is true for a boat except we're operating in a water environment, greatly increasing the chance for water to somehow get into the tranny. However, we all tend to baby our prized MC's, so it's best to follow the manual and change annually or every 100 hrs. Easy job and done just as eastie says. Good luck -

From my experience, transmission fluid is Red, if it's Pink it has water in it.

Farmer Ted
09-21-2006, 06:33 PM
bbutler2001

where about in east texas are you?

vogelm1
09-21-2006, 08:10 PM
From my experience, transmission fluid is Red, if it's Pink it has water in it.

Yes, I guess that would be more accurate...was just trying to convey a nice "clean" color rather than dark or brownish. Sorry for the mis-information. Pink would be bad :D

88 PS190
09-21-2006, 09:08 PM
The reason for changing transfluid seasonally is to make sure you don't have water in it.

Really the boats will run on the same transfluid for years and years and years... kinda one of those if you don't mess w/ it it won't break type things.

But if you get water... you're done relatively quickly.

P-hat_in_Cincy
09-21-2006, 09:43 PM
Using transmission fluid holds true for past year MC's, but I think since 2003-ish MC started using motor oil in the transmissions. 15W40 is what I understand to be the case...engine, transmission, and oil bath hubs using the same fluid.

bbutler2001
09-25-2006, 04:50 PM
Farmer Ted, I am in Tyler TX

B

6ballsisall
09-25-2006, 05:02 PM
I will be changing my trans fluid oil in the next few weeks. Does anyone know if my 03' X7 w/ 1:1 uses motor oil or trans fluid? What weights?

east tx skier
09-26-2006, 12:34 AM
In the 1:1, I think your manual calls for Dexron III, Jeff.

pflcjl
09-26-2006, 06:00 AM
I also noticed in the owners manual of my 2006 Prostar 197 TT that it calls for 15W-40 motor oil for the transmission. Never heard of this. Is this true or a typo in the manual??

Davo
09-26-2006, 09:15 AM
I posted this on "eltesoro"s thread too:

I switched from ATF to 15W-40 about a year ago on my '02 direct drive with the 1:1. It seems to run smoother.

I use a cheap hand pump from the auto parts store and (2) empty two liter bottles. Pump the old fluid out into one container and fill the other container with new fluid to the same level as the old fluid. It makes it easy to fill it to the same level. If your going from ATF to oil you might want to run the boat and change it again to get all the ATF out.

east tx skier
09-26-2006, 10:29 AM
I also noticed in the owners manual of my 2006 Prostar 197 TT that it calls for 15W-40 motor oil for the transmission. Never heard of this. Is this true or a typo in the manual??

The motor oil in the transmission is an attempt to deal with rattle that owners were experiencing in boats with vdrives and power slots IIRC.