PDA

View Full Version : need tips on using barefoot boom

timtal
08-23-2006, 01:39 PM
hi all,
just bought univ contour boom from BI for my 2004 prostar 197. set it up yesterday and taught 3 six year olds to ski. what a blast. now I want to teach my 15 y.o to barefoot. I learned 30 years ago by dropping a ski and now will sit off the knee board. For him, any pointers on how to use the boom? how high do I set the boom? How does he get into position, etc. I need real basic pointers on this boom issue as yesterday was my first experience with it. Thanks.

Flatwaterfooter
08-23-2006, 02:14 PM
I think you will get a few different opinions on this so here is mine. The boom height will depend on how tall you are. I would get the adjuster for the boom if you have not already. You want the boom to be about shoulder height or just a little lower. When just learning to barefoot make sure you have a barefoot suit. Have him grab onto the boom and drag forward with his feet behind him. Once you get up to speed roll onto his back and pull his feet in front of him. With the boom this is pretty easy and worst case you get washed out and try agian without stopping. Thats the beauty of the boom. Once he is around and riding on his butt slowly have him put his feet on the water. Make sure he does not try to put the feet in right away as he is coming around. He will end up putting them in to early and get pulled around. Once he is in the 3 point position start putting additional preasure on the feet till he is standing.

Once he has that try starting in normal barefoot position with feet on the cable, then a 5' rope.

Good luck hope this helps and let us know how he does

barefoot
08-23-2006, 04:22 PM
There’s a bunch o’ different ways to start on the boom. You can drag superman style, as flatwater suggested, and tumble up. Another way is to use the bow eye lines to wrap your feet around so you’re riding your butt, which eliminates the tumble part. I’ve taught people to rest their torso on the boom and gently put their feet in the water when you’re at barefoot speed. Yet another way is to get out there with the little guy…you on skis, him either torso on the boom or on the front of your ski. Support him by wrapping your arm around him and have him barefoot in between your skis. When he feels good, drop off...the boat will come back and pick you up (hopefully).

Flatwaterfooter
08-23-2006, 05:06 PM
Barefoot do you find it hard for people to start with their feet on the cables? When ever I have used that style to start them their first time the hips get sucked under because the start a little sideways. How do you go about it.

CoFooter
08-23-2006, 05:17 PM
For the cable start, its always easier if the boom is higher so thier butt is just off the water for the start as opposed to dragging. You can steer away (direction opposite boom) to raise the boom at the start to accomplish this or start with the boom higher.

Timtal, you want to start with a higher boom when starting out holding directly on it (head/shoulder level). When you go to the five foot line, lower the boom to waist high which will prevent a lot of bouncing during your deep water starts and butt glide.

timtal
08-23-2006, 06:07 PM
thanks guys,
this info is just what i need

barefoot
08-24-2006, 01:52 PM
Barefoot do you find it hard for people to start with their feet on the cables?

Yup, but set the boom higher like cofooter said, it should eliminate the problem.

Barefoot Central
08-24-2006, 08:30 PM
You should visit www.barefootcentral.com there is tons of stuff cool videos etc. it is Chuck Gleason's site . Keith St Onage video stuff really cook in my oppinion.

chudson
08-25-2006, 10:00 AM
[You should visit www.barefootcentral.com there is tons of stuff cool videos etc. it is Chuck Gleason's site . Keith St Onage video stuff really cook in my oppinion.]

Ditto, a great site! Sometimes just watching how someone else foots can be a great teacher. And I'm right there with you "timtal", learned by dropping the ski along time ago too. School of hard knocks, right! No teacher no books no forums on the computer just alot of face plants. Buy the way all these ideas are great, I used the superman method with a friend and worked great. Just hold on and at around 25 tell them to pull themselves forward on the boom and spin to a tripod position ( butt and feet ) and slowly stand up to a position sort of like sitting in a chair. That keeps their feet in front and helps prevent the faceplant from standing upright and catching a toe. Good luck!!!
By the way welcome Barefoot Central to the forum!!!