PDA

View Full Version : Incandescent to LED??? 120V.......

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 10:27 AM
Does anyone use or tried LED light bulbs in their home or office?

Leroy
08-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Can you show an example? I've never seen 120v LED application.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:37 PM
Geeze Leroy, of all people I thought YOU might be into these.......

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:38 PM
Or this????????????

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:39 PM
Or????????????

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:48 PM
I know there are some lighting distributors on here that could probably help..

More than 100,000 hr of life
Electricity consumption in standard bulb reduced 80% to 90% to less than 1W
Vibration-resistant, solid-state electronic circuitry
Internal transient voltage surge protection
Low heat generation saves HVAC operating costs
Variety of colors and luminance outputs available
12VDC to 277VAC
120VAC standard
Medium base standard
Replaces 10W to 60W incandescent bulbs

BrianM
08-23-2006, 12:55 PM
How much do these cost? Answered my own question. Looks like they are about $20 to $60 each.

bcampbe7
08-23-2006, 12:59 PM
http://www.smarthome.com/97314a.html
A google search for "LED light bulb" brings up a bunch of links.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 01:00 PM
How much do these cost?
I am in process of getting $ from some of my sources. Supply AND demand are pretty low because not many people know about them, let alone that they are available.
I HATE compact flourescents.

Seems like a no brainer to me.....;)

Anyway, cost looks to be anywhere between $10 to $120 EACH!!! But thats only websurfin prices so far.

BrianM
08-23-2006, 01:02 PM
The savings chart towards the bottom of this page is interesting.

http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 01:03 PM
Any search engine "LED A19" or "LED incandescent"........;)

"Light bulb" brings out the "junk" links.....:rolleyes:

Beau, I am not looking for information on them, I NEED hard facts from "users"...

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2006, 05:41 PM
I "may" have been barking up the wrong tree......:cool:

edit- Cold Cathode

Leroy
08-30-2006, 05:47 PM
I should have!

THe price will drop quickly, LED's can be bought in volume for less than 2 cents each. I can easily see these retail at $2-$3 soon.

Geeze Leroy, of all people I thought YOU might be into these.......

6ballsisall
08-30-2006, 05:49 PM
So whats the big benefit of these things anyway?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2006, 05:50 PM
I should have!

THe price will drop quickly, LED's can be bought in volume for less than 2 cents each. I can easily see these retail at $2-$3 soon.
Well, as it turns out, they may not be all their cracked up to be. I am patiently waiting for some "samples" to arrive. We shall see if my peeps come through for me.
Any how. As I understand the problem to date, these bulbs are "ideal" for blinking, flashing, dancing type signs and whatnot and not nec. the best for a fixture because of the type of the light produced or "lack thereof".....

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2006, 05:52 PM
So whats the big benefit of these things anyway?
LED = 1 watt of power per your lets say 60 watts of incand.
Cold Cathode = 8 watts per your 60 watt incan

Compact flour. need some help in their durability to show a cost savings as far as I am concerned.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2006, 06:00 PM
JR, in a nutshell looking at the big picture (not to mention the skyrocketing energy increases in the works).
If you have 50 bulbs in your home and lets say an average of 60 watts each, that 3000 watts of potential energy being used.

Take those same fixtures and use 8 watts or less. 400watts total?

There is potential for savings, but the equipment has to be efficient enough, and reliable enough to see the savings over the long haul. And I am NOT sold on compact flourescents....Waste of $ IMO.

Leroy
08-30-2006, 06:09 PM
I like the CF's and use them pretty much everywhere in my house. I estimate I save at least $40 per month.

If you have ever used an LED flashlight you will probably know the light is not at the right wavelength and it tends to hurt your eyes.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-30-2006, 06:13 PM
I like the CF's and use them pretty much everywhere in my house. I estimate I save at least $40 per month.

If you have ever used an LED flashlight you will probably know the light is not at the right wavelength and it tends to hurt your eyes.
Exactly!! However, they tend to use a 8000K leds in flashlights. These "bulbs" should only be about 3000K but with Multiple leds.

With CF you need 30watts to equal 100......and you better watch them, they do SMOKE on occation before "burning" out. I've seen it.....Smells like burnt wiring...

Leroy
08-30-2006, 09:31 PM
I put a CF in a fixture that was on a dimmer by mistake, family dimmed it and smoke came shooting out! I had couple of initial failures and nothing more in the past year.

slink976
08-30-2006, 09:53 PM
Exactly!! However, they tend to use a 8000K leds in flashlights. These "bulbs" should only be about 3000K but with Multiple leds.

With CF you need 30watts to equal 100......and you better watch them, they do SMOKE on occation before "burning" out. I've seen it.....Smells like burnt wiring...

Oh this is comical, In my duaghters room this morning we had exactly that happen! Smelt like arse and freaked my daughter and wife out. Going home to replace it now.

I must note by using CF's my energy bill was sliced in half! the light is not the greatest but to take 125$ off my bill I'll deal with it.

As for the LED's I think it is a little early to buy these. But i have seen a few studies where the are taking and adding a few different colors to the bulb to make the visual light more "Life Like". I think i keep with CF's until I can go to Home Depot and see these on a rack there IMO.

billr
08-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Have been using LED's in exit lights for a number of years without any problems. Have also had good results with LED flood lights. They are pricey, but the long life far outweighs the cost.

Leroy
08-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I also have the LED xmas lights that I carried back from Belgium. I have to get out the 220V converter, but they always work.

Workin' 4 Toys
09-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Oh this is comical, In my duaghters room this morning we had exactly that happen! Smelt like arse and freaked my daughter and wife out. Going home to replace it now.

I must note by using CF's my energy bill was sliced in half! the light is not the greatest but to take 125$ off my bill I'll deal with it.

As for the LED's I think it is a little early to buy these. But i have seen a few studies where the are taking and adding a few different colors to the bulb to make the visual light more "Life Like". I think i keep with CF's until I can go to Home Depot and see these on a rack there IMO.
Compact flourescents- They don't like to be turned on and off often, they don't handle vibration (ceiling fans) they suggest AGAINST using in conjuction with timers, don't work well in colder temps.....After having three or so practically melt, and a few CRACKED, I convinced myself there has to be something better, so I am on the hunt.
I know there is someone (or more) on here that deals with lighting and such for a living, surprised they have not chimed in.....

Leroy, Yup, the standard ones are not dimmable, but they do now have dimmable compact flourescents. They are fire hazzards too IMO.