PDA

View Full Version : Ran Out of Gas!

Ski MC
08-22-2006, 02:04 PM
I was boating with a full load (8 people + 1 dog), were out for 6 hours of run time, and ran out of gas. Removed the seat and could still see fuel in the tank ~ 4-5 gallons???
Couple questions:
Will running out do any damage to the engine (i.e. EFI)?
How can I get those last few gallons out?
Are there better level indicators than what is installed (and doesn't work anyway)?

Big thanks to the boaters that towed us for 30 minutes back to the ramp. (Even though he was driving a new Nautique).

88 PS190
08-22-2006, 02:10 PM
i don't know which boats it was a big issue on, but on some boats running dry hurts the fuel lubricated fuel pump... which isn't good. requires a fuel pump replacement. how high off the bottom of the tank is your fuel sender.

bigmac
08-22-2006, 02:20 PM
If you have MasterCraft's in-tank electric fuel pump, running the boat out of gas has a high liklihood of having fried the fuel pump, which will manifest itself sooner or later. Some people (including some dealers and techs that post here) opine that even letting the fuel level get below 1/2 - 1/4 tank will do the same.

Ski MC
08-22-2006, 02:20 PM
My boat is a 96 PS205. It has a 31 gal tank, and there is still an inch and a half of fuel in the bottom. I haven't looked in the tank yet to inspect the setup.

SKI*MC
08-22-2006, 02:24 PM
this thread sonfused me for a minute....

slink976
08-22-2006, 02:39 PM
ahhhhh a duplicate! got it

André
08-22-2006, 06:18 PM
I was boating with a full load (8 people + 1 dog), were out for 6 hours of run time, and ran out of gas. Removed the seat and could still see fuel in the tank ~ 4-5 gallons???
Couple questions:
Will running out do any damage to the engine (i.e. EFI)?
How can I get those last few gallons out?
Are there better level indicators than what is installed (and doesn't work anyway)?

Big thanks to the boaters that towed us for 30 minutes back to the ramp. (Even though he was driving a new Nautique).
1 Not on your engine,the pump is right beside the engine.
2 I suggest you don't try to run that last inch of gas as it may contain debris or water...6 hours of runnning time is normal i think.
3 Good luck!;)

André
08-22-2006, 06:20 PM
this thread sonfused me for a minute....
Me too!
Was sure it was you!

MasterCrafting
08-22-2006, 06:27 PM
whoa...that blew my mind for a minute....steve with a 205...whhhaaaa? haha

Jesus_Freak
06-30-2007, 04:12 AM
1 Not on your engine,the pump is right beside the engine.
2 I suggest you don't try to run that last inch of gas as it may contain debris or water...6 hours of runnning time is normal i think.
3 Good luck!;)

I have a 94 205. My guage is only functional from 1/3 to 3/4 of a tank. Above 3/4, it stays on 3/4. Below 1/3 it just falls to near zero, and I have to keep removing the seat to check. Is this normal, or do I need to replace something? I would not think this is normal...

stulesmi
06-30-2007, 09:30 AM
I have an 02 209 and this happened to me. I cut it off as soon as it started to sputter, but, too late. I had to replace the fuel pump. I hope you have better luck. If you do have to replace it, you may have to get some special tools from a GM dealer to remove the fuel lines if it's like mine. Good luck!!!!!

tex
06-30-2007, 12:34 PM
It's a roll of the dice. I have ran mine out once and it didn't fry the pump. I also know a guy who ran one out and kept turning the motor over trying to bump it back to the dock. He made it and his pump was fine. I have also seen guys run out once and the pump is fried. So as I said, it's a roll of the dice! Good luck!

chico
06-30-2007, 02:48 PM
get the new fuel sender.you calibrate it empty and full,very accurate.

yippikaiyay
06-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Last season I ran my fuel pretty low - likely running on fumes and in hindsight, it picked up some debris that was in the tank, (must have been there for years from the previous owner) which partially blocked the fuel delivery, and ended up ruining the pump.
Needless to say, I'm never below 1/3 from now on.

TMCNo1
06-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I have a 94 205. My guage is only functional from 1/3 to 3/4 of a tank. Above 3/4, it stays on 3/4. Below 1/3 it just falls to near zero, and I have to keep removing the seat to check. Is this normal, or do I need to replace something? I would not think this is normal...

You can remove the sending unit from the tank and adjust it, but you would need instructions. I would suggest, just replace it with a new replacement unit from www.skidim.com and be done with it,
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1088

cbryan70
06-30-2007, 10:02 PM
man 6 hours of run time on 30 gallons! that is nuts i get about 5 on 14 gallons!

Jesus_Freak
07-02-2007, 01:09 PM
You can remove the sending unit from the tank and adjust it, but you would need instructions. I would suggest, just replace it with a new replacement unit from www.skidim.com and be done with it,
http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1088

Thank you sir.

TMCNo1
07-02-2007, 01:48 PM
Thank you sir.

Mine got to jumping around and then finally went dead. Got a replacement, instructions are simple and took about 1/2 hour to switch out! I set mine by the instructions and it reads 7/8 when totally full and 3/8 when 1/2 tank, so I left it that way, cause that means I have more gas than it shows.

Lennyp04
07-06-2007, 08:08 AM
Mine got to jumping around and then finally went dead. Got a replacement, instructions are simple and took about 1/2 hour to switch out! I set mine by the instructions and it reads 7/8 when totally full and 3/8 when 1/2 tank, so I left it that way, cause that means I have more gas than it shows.

Thats a really good idea Harold...ill keep that in mind if this ever happens to me, knock on wood hopefully it doesnt