PDA

View Full Version : Prop Shaft Adjustment?

dpolen
08-21-2006, 05:14 PM
I am currently unable to remove my prop on the boat because my prop puller will not fit. There is a gap between the prop and the strut that supports the prop shaft...my issue is that the puller will not fit into this gap. Someone suggested that I might be able to loosen, adjust/extend, and tighten the prop shaft in order to increase the gap between the prop and the strut. I guess the previous owner of the boat was lucky enough to never have to replace the prop, because I don't know how he got it off without some brute force which can't be good for the boat. Has anyone ever made this adjustment on their boat? If so, how hard was it to do and would you mind sharing how you did this for a V-Drive? I'm debating on whether to try this myself or spend he extra $ to take it to the MC dealership.

Tom023
08-21-2006, 05:26 PM
Seems odd there is not enough space, but nevertheless, you might be able to get it off with your method. I pulled the shaft out of my v-drive and it's not too difficult, but you will need a shaft puller or slide hammer. You would just loosen the shaft nut at the coupler and give it some whacks with the puller until the gap is large enough. I actually found it more difficult to get the shaft back into the coupler all the way than getting it out. Good luck.