PDA

View Full Version : Gps??

6ballsisall
08-21-2006, 04:03 PM
I use Streets and Trips quite a bit for work and during my travels to various cities I am always relying on directions to get to each location. Is there an GPS that plugs into your computer that you can download streets and trips directions to the handheld GPS? I know w/ Streets and Trips you can get a GPS device that turns your laptop into a GPS but prefer not to keep my laptop booted up all the time in the car (hassle)
Any advice?? Specific GPS models to look at?

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 04:08 PM
I had a garmin street pilot for a while. Had to buy the softward for the really specific map info, but it workd well. There's another one with a sort of cutsie name that people seem to like as well, but I'm not sure how great their mapping software is. While they're not technically hand held, they're pretty small.

I can't remember the street software that worked with my Street Pilot, but it'll come to me.

Oh yeah, it was Map Source (http://www.gpsonsale.com/software/products/MapSourceMetroNA.htm)

6ballsisall
08-21-2006, 04:43 PM
Thanks Doug!

What I am hoping to accomplish is still use Streets and trips on my laptop and then somehow sync a "route" with the GPS device and then just take the GPS device with me on my days travel. Is such a GPS device available?

bcampbe7
08-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Thanks Doug!

What I am hoping to accomplish is still use Streets and trips on my laptop and then somehow sync a "route" with the GPS device and then just take the GPS device with me on my days travel. Is such a GPS device available?

You know that Smartphone you use to have would work. ;) :D

I think most handheld GPS units can accept waypoints. My cheap Garmin eTrex can.
As far as a graphical interface, I am not sure. Most of the handhelds use proprietary software. You would need a PDA or something that you could load Streets and Trips on as well as plug in a GPS receiver.

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 04:48 PM
My etrex doesn't, but the newer ones will load maps I believe.

Oh, yeah, Tom Tom is the other one.

bcampbe7
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
My etrex doesn't, but the newer ones will load maps I believe.

Oh, yeah, Tom Tom is the other one.

Not load maps but it should be able to accept waypoints.

My father-in-law has a TomTom. I messed with it for about 2 minutes one day and couldn't figure out how to input a destination. I didn't have the manual so that would have probably helped.

pilot02
08-21-2006, 04:50 PM
My brother-ini-law has the tomtom. I thought it worked rather well in my limited experience with it.

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Not load maps but it should be able to accept waypoints.

My father-in-law has a TomTom. I messed with it for about 2 minutes one day and couldn't figure out how to input a destination. I didn't have the manual so that would have probably helped.

With the street pilot and the Map Source software, you could do all the routes on your computer and just load them to the Garmin SP. Doing routes on the SP itself wasn't nearly as user friendly.

That was one of three things I sold in Summer 2004 to buy Perfect Pass. I regret nothing.

6ballsisall
08-21-2006, 05:03 PM
You know that Smartphone you use to have would work. ;) :D

I think most handheld GPS units can accept waypoints. My cheap Garmin eTrex can.
As far as a graphical interface, I am not sure. Most of the handhelds use proprietary software. You would need a PDA or something that you could load Streets and Trips on as well as plug in a GPS receiver.
I know!! To some degree I miss that phone for those types of reasons (Microsoft software stuff) :(

bcampbe7
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I know!! To some degree I miss that phone for those types of reasons (Microsoft software stuff) :(

She is in good hands.:toast:

michael freeman
08-21-2006, 05:28 PM
I'm looking at the Garmin 378 which has lakes and streets, as well as weather radar if you are willing to pay XM for the sat data.

Probably more then you want, but I'm looking into it because I hit something a couple of weeks ago on my first trip to a new lake and I am a bit paranoid. Plus when I go to PK (area lake) I will know where I am until I learn the lake. Cost of 1-2 props should cover the expense. ;)

It can be used on the boat, truck, motorcycle, and portable. Comes with mounts for your boat and truck.

3event
08-21-2006, 07:01 PM
Further to Michael's comments, I heard that the marine-equipped units will give you location and water depth real time. Makes navigation a nobrainer ! If anyone has used one of those , I would be interested to hear how well/unwell it works. If I were a big-lake cruiser or sail enthusiast I would imagine it as a must-have.

T Scott
08-21-2006, 08:51 PM
Jeff,
Why don't you bag the Streets and Trips and get a small portable GPS system as mentioned here? I use the Garmin Street Pilot for my everyday travel. It is getting a bit outdated as the newer models can be had for $500 and are touch screen. My friend has the TomTom and loves it.

MasterCrafting
08-21-2006, 09:04 PM
I use a Garmin handheld and load maps with "mapsource"

emnesto
08-21-2006, 09:17 PM
I've had the Garman Nuvi for about 5 monthe, and really love it. No lake data, but I've never missed on the map directions.

6ballsisall
08-21-2006, 09:34 PM
Jeff,
Why don't you bag the Streets and Trips and get a small portable GPS system as mentioned here? I use the Garmin Street Pilot for my everyday travel. It is getting a bit outdated as the newer models can be had for $500 and are touch screen. My friend has the TomTom and loves it.

I would bag it but our company uses it alot to share data throughout the US and it would be nice to be able to stick with that program and not have to transfer or re-enter the same info just for the sake of directions. I seem to get the impression from my research that this really isn't an option for me. :(

Farmer Ted
08-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm looking at the Garmin 378 which has lakes and streets, as well as weather radar if you are willing to pay XM for the sat data.

Probably more then you want, but I'm looking into it because I hit something a couple of weeks ago on my first trip to a new lake and I am a bit paranoid. Plus when I go to PK (area lake) I will know where I am until I learn the lake. Cost of 1-2 props should cover the expense. ;)

It can be used on the boat, truck, motorcycle, and portable. Comes with mounts for your boat and truck.

Can you get the XM traffic routing with that model also?

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 11:44 PM
I think the TomTom has built in traffic info.

Farmer Ted
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
I think the TomTom has built in traffic info.

I don't think it's the same, looks like it only works with Pioneer and Factory installed NAV systems on Caddies, Acura, Lexus and Infinity

http://www.xmradio.com/xmnavtraffic/get_nav.jsp

Detailed Traffic Information with XM NavTraffic
XM NavTraffic®, powered by NAVTEQ Traffic, allows Pioneer Navigation Systems to serve as a powerful tool that helps the driver understand traffic conditions and routes the driver to their destination avoiding traffic congestion.

Traffic on Route Alert and Alternative Route
If there is a traffic jam on the route to your destination, the Navigation System will automatically alert you of the traffic ahead, and suggest any alternate route found by the unit.

Traffic Flow at a Glance
Where information is available via the XM NavTraffic service, traffic flow is overlaid as a blinking line on the navigation map to let the driver know how fast traffic is flowing. Color-coding is used for easy visual identification - red for slow or standstill, yellow for stop-and-go or medium traffic, and green for traffic flowing freely. A circle icon on the line indicates the average speed of the area.

Leroy
07-29-2007, 01:27 AM
I just bought a TomTom Go 300 CAR GPS NAVIGATION, wonder if it does this? Wife needed something as she just started a job at a home health place and will be travelling around taking care of patients and needed it. I saw this unit in operation several times and it looked super easy and accurate.

Oldest son goes to college, dropped him off at Indiana U today, wife goes to work! Great wife to cover his college expenses!

TMCNo1
07-29-2007, 08:30 AM
I always have had great success with "Lynn, Lynn, Read the Damn Directions On the Map" self powerd system. A stop at McDonalds occasionally for a Double Chee Burger, Fry and a Big Orange drink, usually keeps her charged!:rolleyes: :D

bigmac
07-29-2007, 09:12 AM
I use Streets and Trips quite a bit for work and during my travels to various cities I am always relying on directions to get to each location. Is there an GPS that plugs into your computer that you can download streets and trips directions to the handheld GPS? I know w/ Streets and Trips you can get a GPS device that turns your laptop into a GPS but prefer not to keep my laptop booted up all the time in the car (hassle)
Any advice?? Specific GPS models to look at?Any of the Garmins with mapping will do that but you have to have Mapsource software on the computer. You DON'T need to use Street Pilot. You can put routes, tracks, waypoints, whatever, in on the computer and upload that map with all that stuff to your GPS.

Street Pilot is a nice unit, but the handheld Garmins with Mapsource will do the same thing but still allow you to slip the whole unit in your pocket and take it along.

Leroy
08-05-2007, 01:24 AM
I'm loving my TomTom and realized the company was founded and is in the Netherlands. That helped explain the name and why there is no French language on it when there is >30 languages supported! I'm sure you can get French on there somehow with CD or connecting to the internet, but not on it initially!

Funny trivia....makes sense after living there for couple years.

milkmania
08-05-2007, 02:16 AM
wonder how well the laptop GPS units work:confused:

http://www.boatersland.com/gps18.html
Turn your laptop PC into a powerful street navigator with the GPS 18 ù a GPS sensor bundled with nRoute and City Select software that automatically guides you with turn-by-turn directions and voice prompts to get you safely to your destination.

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10091&forge_prod=fGCUW8BlKlJgL4AOopyh-Pfi:S&forge_prod_pses=forge_prod%3DfGCUW8BlKlJgL4AOopyh-Pfi%253AS%7E
https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/sectionInfo/StreetAtlasUSA/images/SAU_Wired.jpg
Turn your large-screen laptop PC into an affordable GPS navigator

Leroy
08-05-2007, 06:55 AM
Milk; would be a nice big screen, but a little awkward to carry around.

bigmac
08-05-2007, 09:40 AM
wonder how well the laptop GPS units work:confused:

http://www.boatersland.com/gps18.html

https://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10091&forge_prod=fGCUW8BlKlJgL4AOopyh-Pfi:S&forge_prod_pses=forge_prod%3DfGCUW8BlKlJgL4AOopyh-Pfi%253AS%7E

They work great. I have one I plug into my laptop when I fly. About 30% of the time a flight attendant will ask me what that thing is that I have stuck to the window, and sometimes they'll me that the FAA says I can't use it. It's great in that it tracks you in real time and displays it on the laptop. The down side on a plane is that satellite reception might be problematic depending on the direction the plane is headed and the side of the plane you're sitting on.

milkmania
08-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Milk; would be a nice big screen, but a little awkward to carry around.

just something to play around with in the truck