PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got POND in the backyard?

jlf
08-21-2006, 09:49 AM
Okay now I don't mean a pond you can ski on or put your boat in, I mean like landscaping ponds or water features in their yards. I really want to add a pond with a waterfall to our backyard and I am looking for some ideas. Anybody care to post pictures of their pond? They don't look too tough to do yourself, care to share if you did it or of if you hired someone to do it?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2006, 09:52 PM
I don't have one myself, but have had my hand in a few.....Well back to the pond...:rolleyes:
I do know the materials are getting easier and easier to get. 'round here even the super-home center carry everything you need. Including the rubber sheets for the bottom, I think they are 10' or 12' width if I recall. Basically you dig your hole and this would depend greatly on what you are going to keep in it, fish, water, boats, kids, whatever you size the hole appropriately. And if needed the pump hole could be deeper. Unless you want to use an external pump/filter system, then you plumb in the bottom drain and perhaps a skimmer(with weir/screening to keep the fish and/or kids from being pulled in) And you size the pump by how much water "fall" you want. It takes planning to figure it out in advance if you want it to be a waterfall instead of say something like a water slide or something that shoots water up like a fountain.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-21-2006, 09:54 PM
:( What's with this double posting being such a problem lately.....?? STUPID KEYBOARD...:o

Leroy
08-21-2006, 11:04 PM
I am interested in this also as I would like to put in a fountain, stream and pond at the end in my back yard also. I really want a stream as part of my design. There are a lot of people that are building these and the big stone fireplaces in the back yard now.

I have also looked at putting in a metal fountain like the hotel in CA in attached picture and that would be neat. The owner ordered this one from Thailand and had it shipped over. Pretty cheap, but you have to wait 2-4 months for shipping since in goes ship. With this fountain, some brickwork, and cobblestone around it this would be pretty neat.

Ric
08-21-2006, 11:09 PM
I have a pool, I have a pool and a pond... A pond would probably be better for you..

jlf
08-22-2006, 08:33 AM
I want a pond with a small waterfall into a lower pond, doesn't have to be huge my yard isn't all that big. I've checked out a few web sites but most of the ponds that are pictured are in people's yards that make more money in a day than I'll ever see in my lifetime and they are absolutely beautiful but probably more money to install that I can afford right now. If anyone cares to share their backyard sacturary I'd really appreciate it.

Ric will you post a picture?

stevo137
08-22-2006, 08:41 AM
I just took these pics Sunday at the lake. This is two houses down from my BIL. They recently renovated this lake house and added this water feature. You need shade if you want ferns and they may have a problem due to the fact that the tree on the left was struck by lightning and needs to be removed. Great idea if you have a hill to deal with. This is about the best water feature that I have seen in awhile.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/CedarLake004.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/CedarLake005.jpg

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/CedarLake008.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/CedarLake009.jpg

jlf
08-22-2006, 08:47 AM
Leroy that might be more along the lines of what you want. That is beautiful, I little big for my backyard. Thank you Steve137

Workin' 4 Toys
08-22-2006, 09:12 AM
A few houses ago, a friend of ours built a pond with a good size play house in the middle for his kids to play in, had a "little" waterfall in comparison, I guess it looked more like a moat than a pond because of the island in the middle with the house on it, but it was really neat looking, sorry no pictures as it was awhile ago.:o

JLF, how big are we talkin here? Diameter, 5',10' 15'??? How many layers of waterfall?

Looks like the one steve posted is about a 10' difference in height and takes up about 500 sq ft. and has concrete/stone bedding.

jlf
08-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Probably only one maybe two levels to the waterfall and the pond no bigger than the 15' diameter I would think. I still want some yard. I guess that is why I am looking for some ideas I don't want to copy anyone's pond, just looking to see what people have done. We are planning on redoing our deck and putting in a patio also to tie the pond in.

Datdude
08-22-2006, 10:33 AM
We have a small pond in front of our store. It is a neat thing to have, but it is a lot more work than anyone here thought. Because it is so shallow and out in the sun the water warms up very fast and starts an algae bloom. We have a small fountain that is continually getting clogged with algae. We have tried pond dye to block the sunlight (navy blue water), as well as industrial strength algae control products that cost almost $100 per gallon to no avail. Just something to think about

stevo137
08-22-2006, 10:51 AM
We have a small pond in front of our store. It is a neat thing to have, but it is a lot more work than anyone here thought. Because it is so shallow and out in the sun the water warms up very fast and starts an algae bloom. We have a small fountain that is continually getting clogged with algae. We have tried pond dye to block the sunlight (navy blue water), as well as industrial strength algae control products that cost almost $100 per gallon to no avail. Just something to think about
Have you tried copper sulfate?

BuoyChaser
08-22-2006, 11:42 AM
I just took these pics Sunday at the lake. This is two houses down from my BIL. They recently renovated this lake house and added this water feature. You need shade if you want ferns and they may have a problem due to the fact that the tree on the left was struck by lightning and needs to be removed. Great idea if you have a hill to deal with. This is about the best water feature that I have seen in awhile.
cool looking water feature, NICE!!!giving me some ideas for our "waterside hill"...

88 PS190
08-22-2006, 11:53 AM
grass carp... yum

M-Funf
08-22-2006, 12:19 PM
I have a pool, I have a pool and a pond... A pond would probably be better for you..

What's your address? You're on Briar, right?

Natural spring?

Anything would be good...8p

M-Funf
08-22-2006, 12:22 PM

So do they recirc the water from bottom to top, or do they simply pump lake water to the top and let it drop back into the lake?:confused:

slink976
08-22-2006, 01:49 PM
okay, I own a landscaping company and would be willing to offer you advice if you get stuck. PM me and i'll give you my cell phone just in case.

BuoyChaser
08-22-2006, 04:45 PM
here's some different pond pumps and accessories fron Northern Tool
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/category_6970_291699+88475

pq2
08-22-2006, 05:02 PM
thats the view from my room, you can see a sailboat with the mast down, thats the original "pq2" and the sleep for the MC its just at the side of it.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-23-2006, 12:58 AM
Have you tried copper sulfate?
Isn't that the same stuff they have cows clean their feet in???

stevo137
08-23-2006, 08:17 AM
So do they recirc the water from bottom to top, or do they simply pump lake water to the top and let it drop back into the lake?:confused:
It's a recirc. system. The water is pumped back up to the pond where it is filtered and then displacement sends it over and back down again.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e27/stevo137/CedarLake009.jpg

jlf
08-25-2006, 09:16 AM
Thank you Stevo for sharing your pond with me nobody wants to share or else nobody has ponds in their yards (I find that hard to believe). I would like it to either be a fall project this year or next spring.

stevo137
08-25-2006, 09:36 AM
Thank you Stevo for sharing your pond with me nobody wants to share or else nobody has ponds in their yards (I find that hard to believe). I would like it to either be a fall project this year or next spring.
YW, as I mentioned, it is my BIL's neighbor at the lake house. You can also go to the library and there will be many books on the subject with great pics and ideas. Keep us apprised of your progress.

bepresto
08-25-2006, 10:55 AM
my brother lives on a golf course in augusta, Ks. His backyard was not that big and the fence was falling down. So instead of redoing the fence, he added a lower section to the deck and killed all of the grass, and then put down a lot of mulch and got landscaping rocks from our hunting lease in Southeastern Kansas. He built a wall with most of the rock and then filled the voids in with concrete, then brought in a lot of dirt to make the ground level and to also make some tiers so he could have a waterfall. He worked his butt off on this project, but will have to agree that it looks pretty darn good. I will try and get over there and take some pictures and post them for them.

ski_king
08-25-2006, 11:13 AM
I dont have one, but have several friends who do ranging from bathtub size to swimming pool size.
Some use clorine like a pool to keep the algie out and some go natural.
One is a avid fisherman and brings home his catch and stocks his. Small kids in the neighborhood fish with a barbless hook and have a blast.
The bigist one was made from a "new" but discarded swimming pool liner that had a small hole inone end. He cut it down to size and claims it works great.

One word of caution, dont put a waterfalls or babling brook too near the deck where you sit and drink beer. It seems to make you need to pee much more often and you know where the drunks will pee.

jlf
08-29-2006, 08:43 AM
thank you good advice, I never thought of that. don't want drunks peeing on my goldfish!