PDA

View Full Version : Oil Capacity???

DrNautica
11-15-2004, 12:28 PM
1989 MC Tristar w/351 Indmar/Velvet Drive.

What is the crankcase oil capacity (including filter change). I changed it this weekend for the first time since buying this boat and added five qts. It shows about a qt high on the dipstick. Can the capcity really only be 4 qts??? That seems low for a marine engine. I guess the other possibility is that I didn't get all of the old oil out. I did extract it through the factory drain hose.

Also, does anyone know what thread the drain hose cap is?

Thanks for the help.

JimN
11-15-2004, 12:49 PM
How much did you pull out? If the trailer wasn't level, you won't get an accurate reading, either. It's possible that you didn't get it all out, for whatever reason. Did you run it after you refilled it?

harba
11-15-2004, 01:45 PM
I have a 1989 MC ProStar with a 351 Indmar and I can't find any documentation for what the oil capacity is, but I watch my oil level very closely and I use about 4 quarts as well, which is low compared to automovtive standards for a Ford 351, but seems to keep my oil level correct according to the calibrations on the dipstick.

east tx skier
11-15-2004, 01:57 PM
I took out five plus what was in the filter. I added 5 (including a half full filter) and ran it. It read low. I added another quart. Ran it, and it read "safe."

lakes Rick
11-15-2004, 02:18 PM
I took out five plus what was in the filter. I added 5 (including a half full filter) and ran it. It read low. I added another quart. Ran it, and it read "safe."

Dr. Nautica, my 90 tristar 351 did the same thing.. IF I remember right the dealer told me 4 qts was correct, which does not make sense.

Almost seemed as if there was no compensation for tilting the engine for the boat application by Indmar or MC....

G-man
11-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Doug

At one time there were some mis marked dipsticks. I beleive you may have one. Five quarts total is all I have ever used. I have been told too much oil is not a good thing. Maybe Jimn can solve this one.

DrNautica
11-15-2004, 07:38 PM
How much did you pull out? If the trailer wasn't level, you won't get an accurate reading, either. It's possible that you didn't get it all out, for whatever reason. Did you run it after you refilled it?

JimN,

The boat's sitting on a lift not on the trailer and is fairly level (boat, not engine). The angle of the engine in these inboard installations is pretty steep compared with an I/O. I did run the engine after filling and it definitely shows over full. I can't get a good read on how much I took out because I pumped it into a 5 gal. container that already had oil from another of my boats.

Too much oil is definatley not a good thing. It has a tendancy to get agitated by the rotating assembly and become areated (foamy) which will cause a lack of lubrication and possibly low oil pressure.

Any more info on these potentially mismarked dipsticks? Years, engine models, etc? 4 qts just doesn't seem right. :confused:

Tgchrist
11-15-2004, 09:35 PM
I have had the same issue. '92 Prostar, 351. I check the oil with the boat in the water and showed almost full. Drained and got three quarts plus the oil filter. Put in four quarts and it is right in line. Appears to me that I should be adding five. I have checked and the right capacity for this motor is five quarts. Either I am not getting it all out or the dipstick is wrong????? :confused:

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 10:55 AM
George, was the issue with the dipstick that it read too low or too high? It won't be a big deal to pump out a quart. It's only been run on the hose with the extra oil at this point.

JimN
11-16-2004, 11:05 AM
Why not call MC and get the original part # for the dipstick? As far as I know, the only ones with the wrong one from the factory were GM 5.7L, but if you weren't the original owner, someone else may have replaced it.

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 11:50 AM
Worth a shot inasmuch as it's not the Chevy 5.7.

George, did yours have the wrong dipstick on it at some point?

G-man
11-16-2004, 12:06 PM
Mine did the whole time I owned it. I looked at the dipstick just after an oil change so I would know where full was. My engine never burned oil.

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 12:08 PM
I guess I'm not understanding. If you had the wrong dipstick, how would you know where full was? Did they tend to read too high or too low?

G-man
11-16-2004, 12:38 PM
Doug mine read low, i had a drawing of the dipstick after an oil change. I'll see if I still have it to give you a better idea where 5 quarts full is. I think it was just bearly in the safe XXXXXX area of the dipstick with full being above the XXXXXX area.

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 10:12 AM
George, I went ahead and sucked out a quart last night (I couldn't stand it). :) I've got the dipstick part number and will be calling MC today. I'll post when I know something.

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 11:23 AM
George, Jeff at Texas MC has checked and said I have the correct dipstick (D5UE 6750 AF Ford M). He said that with the longer filter (counterpart to Framm PH8A), it should hold 5.5 quarts. I may have checked it on a bit of an incline, so I'll check it on the water before I get started next year.

G-man
11-17-2004, 11:45 AM
Doug
You don't know how lucky you are to get an answer that fast. His answer helps explain why my dipstick was reading low on the XXXXXX side. Good job on the reasearch.

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 11:58 AM
Yeah, they just broke even for not calling me back earlier this year. ;)

So was it reading low because you had the big oil filter on there or the wrong dipstick?

G-man
11-17-2004, 01:53 PM
I have always used the FL-1A motorcraft filter which is a longer filter. For those that keep forgetting when they did their last oil change I use a sharpie and put the hours and date on the filter.

lakes Rick
11-17-2004, 08:31 PM
My 94 Maristar had the wrong dipstick in it.. Level engine ( v-drive) but it wanted to take 6 qts instead of 5.. New dipstick fixed it..

André
11-17-2004, 09:19 PM
Dr Nautica
I believe the threads on the hose cap is ¼ NPT.
ICcertainlyBW!

east tx skier
11-18-2004, 10:07 AM
As has been mentioned here previously, according to the dealer with whom I spoke, the dipstick problem was with early 5.7 Chevys. I don't know if certain vintages of Fords had this problem, but mine either didn't or was corrected before I bought it

/George, I don't know if you meant that the filter was what was causing low readings (I realize that you said you had the wrong dipstick and I know you had the same Ford engine as I do).

G-man
11-18-2004, 10:53 AM
Well based on what you say I probably had a dipstick that was not marked for the larger filter. I know the FL-1A filter was also used on PCM engines of the same vintage and they got 5qts. of oil at their oil changes. I use a FL-1A filter on my new PCM Chevy engine. Having the remote filter set up you can use the Chevy or the Ford filter.

east tx skier
11-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Cool. Just didn't want you to think I'd discounted what you said.

JimN
11-18-2004, 05:46 PM
The dip stick doesn't know if the filter is long or short. You just want to know how much is in the crankcase. The filter won't (or shouldn't) allow the oil to siphon back into the motor. That's why the side mounted filter is so much fun to remove withough getting oil in the bilge.

DrNautica
11-18-2004, 07:27 PM
Dr Nautica
I believe the threads on the hose cap is ¼ NPT.
ICcertainlyBW!

Thanks Andre.

I'm three hundred miles from the boat and was pretty sure it was 1/4" but couldn't look at it until this weekend.

east tx skier
11-19-2004, 10:37 AM
The dip stick doesn't know if the filter is long or short. You just want to know how much is in the crankcase. The filter won't (or shouldn't) allow the oil to siphon back into the motor. That's why the side mounted filter is so much fun to remove withough getting oil in the bilge.

Right, but if I filled up the filter half-way and installed it. Then I put four and 1/2 quarts in the engine, it would make sense that the dip stick read a little low.

As long as I have the correct dipstick, I'm :)