PDA

View Full Version : Got up on a Trick Ski!

Farmer Ted
08-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Finally got up on a single trick ski, deep water start :banana:

Of course, my daughter only gets a decent shot of me getting down....
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/crash1.jpg

I think my kid has it in for me....
http://www.theswimsuitthread.com/Red/crash2.jpg

88 PS190
08-20-2006, 09:37 PM
congrats!

what method did you use? I learned to get up on one this summer as well. I just have the tip slightly off to the side then when the boat goes i let the ski come back towards me. Easier than i'd thought it was going to be.

Though the next time i went slaloming i got pulled out the front because it was sitting trick ski style.

6ballsisall
08-20-2006, 09:39 PM
Nice job FT!! Tricking is FUN!!

Farmer Ted
08-20-2006, 09:57 PM
at first I tried going at it like a wakeboard, but the bindings are medium and really uncomfortable (kids ski) so the second pass I stuck it straight up and tried the regular slalom but that didn't work either

in the end I kind of tilted it 45 degrees and did a hybrid wakeboard/slalom thing

very odd feeling not having the fin to stabilize the back, plus I don't think my wife was driving fast enough

much respect to anyone who can ski on that thing with one foot in and one foot attached to the rope!

so can anyone tell me what's the best way to get up on a trick ski?

I've got another one in the shed with a large binding but it's set up for RFF, I guess I could switch the rear toe plate over to LFF

88 PS190
08-20-2006, 10:11 PM
Best way is to jump off a dock onto in so you don't need to get up.

Perfect.

Slippery slippery.

I'm working on wake jumps since i'm tired of falling trying surface tricks.

tex
08-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Do a hop dock or drag a foot!

Farmer Ted
08-20-2006, 10:22 PM

I had the wife drag me a bit with my foot out and I couldn't keep the ski straight so that didn't work.

I've never gotten up on a slalom ski like that either, but it's usually a 70/30 if I get up 1st time on a slalom.....

chudson
08-21-2006, 10:34 AM
Like Tex says [Do a hop dock or drag a foot!]

It ain't easy but you "can do it". I drag a foot and when taking off the ski tip is just out of the water and when the boat starts pulling I put my chest to my knee ( but my gut kinda gets in the way lately ) and stay on top the ski as it's planning out. I also just freeze my leg in position to try and keep from wobbling and with no fin I am was going at a slight angle while skiing. Keep the speed down too you don't want to be planning all the way out on top of the water, you want the ski sinking in just abit. I ain't gonna lie to you it may take several trys, but it's loads of fun once you can do it. Once you master it try turning around backwards. And don't worry about getting the rear foot into the back foot binding, just get the foot onto the ski. Once your up and going then put the back foot in. Hope this is clear to you this is how I've done it and it worked for me. Goodluck Bud!!!

east tx skier
08-21-2006, 10:37 AM
Congrats, Farmer. We have a pair of old Cypress Gardens tricks and I haven't even tried to play with them yet. My wife rides them from time to time. Always 2. I don't think we have a rear toe strap on either of them.

Chef23
08-21-2006, 12:30 PM
I get up with one foot dragging just like I do on a slalom ski. Be patient and don't try and stand up too quick and you will be okay.

I can also get up with both feet in. In that case the ski is tilted a little to the side but less then 45*. I treat it more like a slalom than a wakeboard (maybe because I learned before there were wakeboards)

When you are trying to do tricks remember to keep your eyes on the horizon not looking down at the water and keep the handle in close to your body and down by your waist. The trick ski is much less forgiving on being out of position than a wakeboard is.

ski_500
08-21-2006, 01:21 PM
Congrats Farmer,

When I first tried the slalom trick. I was dragging a foot. But I always had a problem with the ski twisting out of control while I was putting my rear foot into the toe-loop. Besides dock starts are not an option where we ski, unless we use the platform from another boat. So I focused on learning to start with both feet in.

Ditto what Chef 23 said "The trick ski is much less forgiving on being out of position"

I'm really comfortble with the starts, now if I can only learn that front-to-back 180:confused:

88 PS190
08-21-2006, 01:22 PM
always seems to me that one foot dragging is learned when people learn to ski behind boats that don't have enough engine. And that its almost impossible to teach skiers to do one foot out.

This past summer my father (always a one foot out skier) finally learned to get up on slalom both feet in, which means he can take more pull, is out of the water quicker, has fewer failed attempts to get up on the ski, and experiences less pain in his leg or back than he did with one foot out.

Alot of really good trickers have a rubber strap to hold the foot into the toe strap...

And I really feel like the trick is easier to get up on than slalom, it has alot of surface area, its easy to control and you can take less pull from the boat. I just find that most people when trying with both feet in have to learn to allow their body to ride up onto the ski, instead of trying to pull against it with their body back. and then the ski twitches and turns instead of riding under you.

ski_500
08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
FT,
One more thing...

Be sure to keep lots of flex in your ankles and exagerate the knee-bend. If you do this along with good upper body posture, it will give you a much more stable feel.

Chef23
08-21-2006, 02:12 PM

If he is struggling with getting and staying up he is going to crash jumping off the dock.

Crash
08-22-2006, 05:57 PM
Congrats, Farmer. We have a pair of old Cypress Gardens tricks and I haven't even tried to play with them yet. My wife rides them from time to time. Always 2. I don't think we have a rear toe strap on either of them.I believe I have the same old Cypress Gardens Tricks. I installed a rear toe on one. Getting up, my 'trick' is to keep my leg pressed against my chest (staying in the ball) and drag the other. My PROBLEM is once up, all I can do is fall! :o :confused:

88 PS190
08-22-2006, 06:07 PM
That's why i avoid teaching people to trick or slalom with a foot drag. Foot in the rear toe, ski in front of you with the tip displaced so that your knees are both pointing roughly up, when the boat pulls keep your elbows in and squat, then as you start coming up you'll find you can jump clear of the surface and land standing. It really comes together.