PDA

View Full Version : Setting timing on 97 TBI

tntempest
08-20-2006, 12:11 PM
I have a new to me 97 maristar with the 275hp tbi engine, is this motor a vortec headed motor? Are there any tricks to setting the timing on the motor, do I need to unplug anything?

Engine Nut
08-20-2006, 01:12 PM
I have a new to me 97 maristar with the 275hp tbi engine, is this motor a vortec headed motor? Are there any tricks to setting the timing on the motor, do I need to unplug anything?

The 275 TBI is a pre-vortec model. To set the base timing, find the data link connector in the wiring harneess. It will be located near the ECM. It is a plug that has a gray protective cap that is tethered to the rest of the harness with a black wire. Take the cap off the connector and locate connector pins A an B. The pin locations are lettered around the outside of the plug. Start the engine and use a paper clip or piece of wire to short pins A and B. You should hear the engine RPM increase. Once the RPM stabilizes, you can check the timing. It should be set at 10 degrees BTDC. Once you have it set remove the jumper and the RPM should come back down to normal. That is it. Unless someone moves the distributor, the timing shuld be good for life.

Engine Nut

bret
08-20-2006, 02:07 PM
and you can buy this, this will read trouble codes, put the ECU into service mode so that you can set timing, and perform a couple of other checks. I have one and it's pretty handy for less than $50

Codemate
http://216.230.203.183/acro/prodlist.pdf