PDA

View Full Version : Best concert you ever saw....

Knoxes
11-15-2004, 01:15 PM
CSN - not a great show, but by far the best sound I have ever heard live.

sfitzgerald351
11-15-2004, 01:27 PM
Grateful Dead at Squaw Valley. Late 80's maybe? It was awesome. I actually came across the concert by accident. We we're hiking in the area, popped over a ridge and there beneath us were thousands of people lounging in the high meadows of Squaw Valley resort listening to the Dead grooving at 8200' They were set up at the bottom of the bowl and the music carried forever. I have no idea of how many people attended, but it did make the news that it took like 8 hours for everyone to hike down the mountain that night. They had to turn on the ski lights.

JimN
11-15-2004, 01:58 PM
For a small club gig, a couple of the best I have seen were:

Dicky Betts', Berry Oakley's and Robby Krueger's sons formed a band (don't remember the name, it was B.O.K., or something like that). I wouldn't be surprised if Derek Trucks was in it too.

Another one was when a friend of mine was playing at the same club in '95 and Buddy Miles (drummer in Hendrix's Band Of Gypsies) sat in. Started with 'Them Changes' and then they did a whole lot of Hendrix. Still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck and arms. Miles was interviewed a couple of weeks later and when he was asked about Greg, he said "He's the best guitarist I have played with in 25 years." Greg does clinics for Fender, played at Clapton's Crossroads Festival last summer, does clinics and writes method books for Hal Leonard Publishing. www.gregkoch.com

dmac
11-15-2004, 02:13 PM
Summer of '82 or '83; Gary Wright, Lynard Skynard, Peter Frampton and Yes. A full day of outdoor concert fun.

east tx skier
11-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Some of my tops in no particular order.

Maceo Parker. November 1995. Satellite Lounge. Houston, TX
David Byrne. 2002. Red Jacket. Dallas TX
Phish. Austin, TX 09/99 (South Park Meadows)
Prince. Bosier City, LA 06/04
Rolling Stones. 11/89 Houston, TX
Ween. Dallas, TX 09/03 Grenada Theater.
Soulhat. 09/92 Austin, TX @ Liberty Lunch.
Blues Traveler 04/92 Fitzgeralds. Houston, TX
Beck with Flaming Lips. Will Rogers Auditorium, Fort Worth, TX

I'm sure I left some out.

JimN
11-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Summer of '76 (I think), in order of appearance, Cheap trick, Gary Wright, BTO and Frampton. Seven and a half bucks!

tph
11-15-2004, 04:38 PM
Winter of '77 ...The WHO in S.F. The opening band was a (then) little known group...Lynard Skynard. They brought the place down!
The WHO started out great, but had to stop when Keith Moon passed out on his drum kit. They pulled a drummer out of the audience to finish the set.

atlfootr
11-15-2004, 06:43 PM
Gonna have to say, without a dout "The Eagles" VooDoo Tour held in Atlanta, GA. Man, It ROCKED! :worthy: :toast:

Farmer Ted
11-15-2004, 06:51 PM
BB King: London England

Santana: Birmingham England

UB40: Omaha Nebraska

Brian Setzer Orchestra: London England

U2: Ames Iowa

Lallapolloza 92: Alpine Valley Wisconsin

Quiet Riot: Des Moines Iowa

JimN
11-15-2004, 08:52 PM
Ted- was '92 the year of The Sugar Cubes, Chili Peppers, The Pogues and the Femmes? I thought I saw you there!

paulphillipson
11-15-2004, 08:58 PM
I guess I'm old.
Creedence Clearwater Revival at the Pierce Street Annex - San Francisco 1968
Jimmy Buffett - Las vegas 2002
Little Feat - Reno 1998??

Farmer Ted
11-15-2004, 09:11 PM
Naw Jimmer,

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam
Ministry
Jesus and The Mary Chain
Ice Cube

Maybe you saw me at Apple River :banana:

rem_p
11-15-2004, 09:53 PM
in order from most recent;

River Run Band - (just about every weekend...its a buddies band and i usually run sound and lights FREE BAR TAB :toast: )
Diamond Rio - AUBURN UNIVERSITY
Sister Hazel - AUBURN UNIVERSITY
David Alan Coe - Columbus, Georgia
Kenny Chesney and Montgomery-Gentry - Montgomery, Alabama
Matchbox 20 - Birmingham, Alabama
Bocephus - Birmingham, Alabama (3 different times)

not bad for a 21 year old kid.....im flying out to Vegas to visit my aunt during December...hope i can catch David Cassidy and Wayne Newton :eek: just kiddin guys

phecksel
11-16-2004, 01:10 PM
J-Geils, Pine knob (outdoor venue). Heard an interview 20 years later with the Perter Wolfe (lead singer) if he had a fav concert, and it was that one. They played something like 8 or 9 encores. The only reason they stopped, and thankfully he didn't remember, was some $#%^&^* threw an M80 on stage and blew up one of their monitors :(

tex
11-16-2004, 01:27 PM
U2-Germany 1993
Van Halen Dallas 1984-front row
Stones Cotton Bowl ???
Judys-Dallas?
B-52's and Ziggy Marley 1988? Dallas

River Rat
11-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Ozzy, Diary of a Mad Man!! Early 80’s I think……. those years are kind of fuzzy……He brought the roof down , really. There were tiles falling from the ceiling onto the floor and nobody cared! Man that was a good night!

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 01:53 PM
Jim, 92 was the year of Ice Cube, Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam, Primus, etc. Saw it in Houston. Don't remember the Femmes at that one.

Whoops, Tim, I didn't see that you'd responded. Was the Ice Cube chant a universal thing or did Houston just rock more than Springfield?

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 01:55 PM
U2-Germany 1993
Van Halen Dallas 1984-front row
Stones Cotton Bowl ???
Judys-Dallas?
B-52's and Ziggy Marley 1988? Dallas

Tex, my brother was the sound engineer for that Judys album that did better than most of them, but which I can't remember the name of for the life of me at the moment.

Zach S
11-16-2004, 03:00 PM
Wasn't Soundgarden part of 92 Lollapalooza Lineup as well? Maybe Farmer Ted will remember but I think they covered cop killer at the Alpine Valley stop. I believe it was because of some threats Alpine Valley was making to Mr. Cube. :noface: Right up there with this show was a Stone Temple Pilots show at Milwaukees Summerfest in about 95 or 96 :headbang:

NeilM
11-16-2004, 03:12 PM
Led Zeppelin. late 60's, maybe even early 70's.

Leroy
11-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Man you guys sound old, anyone converted from 8 tracks! 8p

But I must admit from a concert viewpoint I dont' think the modern concerts are as good as the old concerts.

For me, Led Zeppelin, around 1985 in West Palm Beach area, for some reason it's hard to really remember year and exact location....

George Thorogood, Nashville, TN, 1982, and one friend was ejected for climbing on the light support structure by the stage!

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Hadn't Led Zeppelin broken up by '85?

I should probably add that I saw Dick Dale and Link Wray at the Satellite Lounge in Houston in 1997 on separate occassions. Both are madmen on the guitar in different ways.

tex
11-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Tex, my brother was the sound engineer for that Judys album that did better than most of them, but which I can't remember the name of for the life of me at the moment.
moo or washarama!

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 04:30 PM
Well, I had to do my homework. Apparently, he first worked with them on "The Wonderful World of Appliances." He's later mentioned as "faithful producer" under the write-up of "Modo Music." If memory serves, he worked with them on Washorama as well. This was the one I remember being really popular when I was a kid. If you ever see any copies of it, grab it.

You can look at an album bio at
http://www.thejudys.com/

tex
11-16-2004, 04:48 PM
every once in a while, something pops up on ebay. they were a great live band!

east tx skier
11-16-2004, 04:54 PM
I've never seen anything and I periodically do a search. Unfortunately, a lot of those albums came out at the height of Cassette tape, which does not hold up well over time. I'm listening to washorama right now online.

I was a little too young to catch them live, unfortunately.

Farmer Ted
11-16-2004, 06:35 PM
Man '92 seems like such a long time ago....I think Soundgarden was there, pretty sure Temple of The Dog played too but not sure if it was on 1st stage or 2nd or 3rd.

Pearl Jam is an excellent live show, Ministry was pretty good too except when they did some of their faggy Euro stuff. Psalm 69 was an awesome album!

It's a love affair, Jesus and my Hot Rod

I gotta ding a ling a dang my ding a long ding long....

anybody like MC 900ft Jesus?

Leroy
11-16-2004, 07:02 PM
Looks like you're right Doug, appears they broke up end of 90. It may have been the Robert Plant tour or something like that, but they played all of the Led Zeppelin stuff.

ChrisG
11-16-2004, 07:07 PM
BB King concert at Shoreline Amphitheater in Mountain View, CA. I believe it was 1998...then again, due to the aroma in the air, I don't remember for sure. :confused:

lakes Rick
11-16-2004, 08:48 PM
Average White band with Cold Blood.... U of Oregon Mac court ( Basketball court) in about 75.... Cold blood kicked a$$... Lydia Pitts was the lead singer..

Kinda showin my age HUH !!!!!

bradamerry
11-16-2004, 08:51 PM
Poison, in Shreveport about 86'.

JEREMY79
11-17-2004, 11:08 AM
lynyrd skynyrd,hank williams jr,38 special in nashville about 6 years ago

east tx skier
11-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Leroy, thanks to Google, it appears that LZ broke up after John Bonham's death in 80. They played at Live Aid in 85 with Phil Collins on Drums. They played with Jason Bohnam at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary concert in around 87.

Chris, that sounds like a sweet show. Were you on the hill at Shoreline? Although I like the venue as a whole, the view from that hill is terrible.

Rick, there's no denying the Average White Band.

Leroy
11-17-2004, 12:30 PM
You're right Doug, I got a bad Google!

ChrisG
11-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Doug, yes it was on the hill/grass. Yeah, the view was horrible but the music still sounded great. Besides, not much to see other than a great musician sitting on a stool playing the guitar.

tex
11-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Poison, in Shreveport about 86'.

Bradamerry-Poison-Best? Is that your only concert?

captkidd
11-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Vince Gill, before he became really popular (probably late 80's). He was at this little hole-in-the-wall night club and it was definitely SRO. Between sets he stood outside in front of his bus and signed autographs by the light from the headlights. The second set wasn't nearly as crowded, so we sat on the floor right in front of the stage.

Bob Seger, 1982, when I was in college. I've always been a big fan and he put on a great show.

JimN
11-22-2004, 01:55 PM
Even after he hosted 12 CMA shows. That guy can PLAY! Never seen him live, but have seen him on a lot of shows. Ever seen him on Austin City Limits?

Dan K
11-22-2004, 02:50 PM
Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band, Our high school dance 1975. Not the best, but one of the most memorable since it was a first for me.

Rockman
11-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Some shows I've been to...

Neil Young at Rosemont Theatre (sat behind Billy Corgan)

Metallica at Allstate Arena (seats so close, we scared the band)

Springsteen at Soldier Field (1987)

Puddle of Mudd (Aragon Brawl Room)

Disturbed (Various venues, always on stage / back stage), most meanigful was the night they were signed by Reprise after a show at Martyrs, downtown Chicago.

causewayskiier
11-23-2004, 05:54 PM
Paul McCartney, New Orleans Super Dome had 7th row seats. He did all his best songs from Powercut to Band on the Run. Also did a whole lot of old Beatles tunes. What a great show.

east tx skier
11-23-2004, 06:59 PM
I regret not going to see Paul when he was in Dallas. Although I think I can safely say that for an encore, there were no surprises (probably took a sad song and made it better, right?), he's a friggin' Beatle. I love the Beatles. Why wouldn't I have gone to see him.

jake
11-29-2004, 06:09 PM
Best I've ever been to: Eric Clapton, 3 straight hours of perfect slow hand. No intermission, no fancy stage show (stool and a microphone on a rug), no fancy costumes (jeans, slippers, and a wrinkled shirt), amazing back up musicians (I think about 12 covering everything from brass to percussion).

Best part was, he started in on the beginning riff of Layla a couple times, the crowd would go nuts, then he would slowly transition into a different song, kinda teasing the audience along. When he finally played Layla...I've never heard such noise.

Very few musicians could play 3 hours of great songs and only hit about half of their hit library. Most of them have been covered on this thread.

Second best I've been to: Robert Plant and Jimmy Page reunion tour, row 5 center stage. I know it's not Zep, but for a guy my age it's the closest I'll ever get to the real thing. So Plant has lost a bit of range and Jimmy's a little slower than he used to be....they still rocked! Played everything you'd want to hear, but wouldn't do Stairway. There were people in the crowd with signs asking for it, but they wouldn't do it. They had John Bonham's son on drums...he was pretty good, I caught one of his drum sticks when he tossed them into the crowd after the show.

Next on the ticket? Cream reunion concert in London next summer...

JimN
11-29-2004, 06:14 PM
Is there any new info about the Cream reunion? I heard that they weren't doing anything other than Royal Albert Hall (not sure if this is the right venue). They better do a DVD for that series!

xseriesman
11-29-2004, 10:33 PM
Best concert for me would have to be the METALLICA CONCERT!!! this year in atlanta it was amazing :D

jake
11-30-2004, 01:41 PM
Is there any new info about the Cream reunion? I heard that they weren't doing anything other than Royal Albert Hall (not sure if this is the right venue). They better do a DVD for that series!

I heard the same thing...Royal Albert Hall, think I heard as many as 6 shows. That's all I've heard so far, but I'm committed to being there.