PDA

View Full Version : Replacing oil sending unit - oops

cwright
08-18-2006, 11:28 AM
Well I learned last night that if your wrench on the sending unit too hard to loosen it, the little bronze pipe coming out of the engine block simply snaps off. Fortunately inside of a reducer bushing, which I was able to ratchet ut. Now I'm on a quest to replace the pipe and bushing. Anybody knwo for sure what size that is. The bushing looks to be 1'4" NPT, but if it is, what size is the little pipe nipple coming out? Also, does it have to bronze?

Also, the new unit I bought from MC dealership, leaked oil out of the pin hole. ???? Come to think of it it wasn't in a box or a bag when they gave it to me. Is this thing used or do they test them with oil as a part of the mfg process.

Anybody been here before??

Engine Nut
08-19-2006, 08:36 AM
The bushing is a 1/4 to 1/8 npt reducer. The nipple is 1/8" npt pipe. It doesn't have to be brass but we use brass for corrosion resistance. The sender should not leak oil. In fact none of the senders that we use even have a hole in them.

Engine Nut

cwright
08-20-2006, 01:30 AM
Thanks for the help. I finished the project and this is what I found/confirmed.

Sending unit is 1/8 NPT and most of the collection of fittings are 1/8" pipe. I was able to find an abundance of brass stuff at the local Ace Hdwr. Busihing into block is 1/8 to 1/4 NPT. Tight clearance between fuel lines and engine block, it is best to replace with exact matches if possible.

Good news is the new sending unit work like a top and ended my bouncing guage causing an intermittent low OP alarm. Finally. Thanks again for the reply.