PDA

View Full Version : Any Duramax Diesel Owners Out There?

Datdude
08-17-2006, 05:49 PM
I have a 2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab short bed 4x4 with the Cummins Turbo Diesel. I bought the truck 15 months ago and have 37,000 miles on it. All in all I really like the truck, but find that the "Quad Cab" is a little small. I knew this going in as I was coming from a 2000 Ford F-250 Crew Cab. A friend of the family owns a few car dealerships and happens to have a great deal on a 2006 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab with the Duramax LBZ and the Allison Transmission. I am looking for anyone who has some input. Thank you

Rockman
08-17-2006, 06:10 PM
I know they are ALOT quiter than the Fords and Dodges...hands down. Plus they don't smell as bad. The Allison Tranny is top notch in all respects.

Diesel on the board had one. Check in with him. See pics below... (Diesel, I finally got the tires!)

My buddy's dad has one and loves it! He went from a 2500 Chevy Gas to the 2500HD Duramax and says there is a big difference.

UMP...any comments on this one from your side?

LakePirate
08-17-2006, 06:47 PM
Please tell me that thing has the running lights on the roof.

I keep building that truck to pull the MC I keep building

Sad, Sad, Sad I know.

parrish1
08-17-2006, 06:49 PM
I've got one and it will pull my mastercraft and few more if I could hook them all together. I have been told that if i would put a chip in that my performance and mpg's will drastically improve. Only complaint is that it only has a 25 gallon fuel tank---my wife yukon has 32 gal tank. That makes little sense to me.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-17-2006, 07:15 PM
The Dmax's are much quieter for sure. The Ford and Dodge rappa-rappa's are louder. I really havent heard any negative feedback on the Dmax, our customers love them. And they REALLY love that Allison Tranny. I have guys that tow big horse trailers, 3500 dually with Dmax/allison and they say it shames their friends Fords and Dodges.

I have a few guys putting hot rod chips in them now too. better mileage and more power, if your into that stuff.

WE really havent had any problems with them at our dealership too. No chronic problems or complaints.

thats all I got to report.:)

bepresto
08-17-2006, 07:35 PM
if you are looking for interior room and love the dodge with the cummins diesel then you ought to look into just upgrading to a mega cab. drove one and pulled the boat to table rock lake last week. The room inside the cab is unbeleivable and nothing matches it. Let me know and I can price one out for you.

Ric
08-17-2006, 07:38 PM
I'd like the jimmy 6 door I saw in the sema pics with the duramax.
where do I send the deposit?

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2006, 08:30 PM
IMO Quieter yes, better trans yes, better interior yes, smoother ride yes.

I do not like IFS........:(

mtrask
08-17-2006, 08:40 PM
I have a 2003 Duramax. I have 150,000 on it. I love it and the Tranny(Allison), though I have had the injectors done 3-times

SkiDog
08-17-2006, 09:15 PM
I have on 05' crew cab with Duramax & an Allison! Wouldn't trade it till it falls apart! 70 mph uphill, pulling my X30, and it NEVER has to change gears! Getting about 16.2 mpg right now. Have not chipped it yet, I hear that voids the warranty. How bout it UMP, does it void the warranty? If not, I might just chip it just to improve the mileage. Don't really care if it has any more power, cause it don't really need it!

Ric
08-17-2006, 10:06 PM
dog I don't think that a reprogram voids warranty but maybe a bad reprogram that could be proven to have caused damage would void your oem warranty

details are in the magnuson moss act (call one of our resident attorneys for interpretation)

Datdude
08-17-2006, 10:53 PM
As far as mileage goes in my Dodge on the highway empty I am getting about 19-19.5 hand calculated. Pulling my 95 PS 190 on a 300 mile round trip on the freeway I got 15.9mpg at 74mph. I wish the Mega Cabs were a little bit cheaper becuase I have been very happy with this truck so far. This Chevy is going to be almost $4000 less than the Mega Cab the dealer has on their lot after incentives etc. That $4000 can go towards upgrading the MC when the time comes:D . The funny thing is that I will have owned Ford, Dodge and Chevy diesel trucks within a 15 month time span. I am not brand loyal I guess................ except boats:cool: . The wife gave me the green light so I guess I am going to pull the trigger. Thanks for all of the input!:toast:

I love that new car smell:D

BrianM
08-18-2006, 10:22 AM
Wait for the new 2007 GMT 900 HD. It is going to be available the first quarter of '07. Much improved interiors and fit and finish with the same Duramax / Allison conbo. If you get the one now you will have an old body style truck in 6 months. They are blowing them out right now for a reason.

Ric
08-18-2006, 11:31 AM
that is good info brian !

Workin' 4 Toys
08-18-2006, 11:35 AM
Wait for the new 2007 GMT 900 HD. It is going to be available the first quarter of '07. Much improved interiors and fit and finish with the same Duramax / Allison conbo. If you get the one now you will have an old body style truck in 6 months. They are blowing them out right now for a reason.
I agree a huge improvement in all you mentioned, and looks REAL nice. However he isn't looking to break the bank on the upgrade, he wants the "extra" couple grand for a boat update......
Now if he were asking me '06 or '07, I'd say '07, but it's not my money. :D
Now if Beau would share some of his bags o' cash, I'd go get one too......:rolleyes:

bcampbe7
08-18-2006, 12:36 PM
I agree a huge improvement in all you mentioned, and looks REAL nice. However he isn't looking to break the bank on the upgrade, he wants the "extra" couple grand for a boat update......
Now if he were asking me '06 or '07, I'd say '07, but it's not my money. :D
Now if Beau would share some of his bags o' cash, I'd go get one too......:rolleyes:

I'm putting the blank check in the mail now... You just make it for however much you need.:rolleyes:

BrianM
08-18-2006, 02:09 PM
New LT interior.

Datdude
08-18-2006, 02:10 PM

I ended up getting screwed in 1999 because I bought a Z-71 Tahoe and then the new bodystyle came out shortly after so I know how it goes:o . I have thought about the body change and I am really having a hard time passing up the deal on this leftover 2006. The same truck is almost $1800 less than a comparably equipped 2007 "classic". If I bought the new 2007 I will still have an "old" bodystyle truck when the new ones arrive so I will take the savings now. I am also not a fan of first year vehicles. The pics I have seen of the new ones coming out are so so in my opinion. I like the look of the new Tahoe, but the pick ups look different. I pulled the trigger today and will have it early next week. Thanks again guys

milkmania
08-18-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm putting the blank check in the mail now... You just make it for however much you need.:rolleyes:

did you get the UMP Seal of Approval before you sent it?

Ric
08-18-2006, 04:38 PM
think about this if you put alot of miles on too... if you buy the 06 now, you have used up at least half a year worth of average miles which will look better when you go to sell (if you are into that)

Diesel
08-18-2006, 04:47 PM
The LBZ appears to be the real deal. Most owners are very happy and you cannot beat the 6 speed auto with paddle shifters. The GM trucks will ride much better than your Dodge and will be quiter. Also don't forget trucks MFGd after Jan 1st 2007 will have to meet the new emission standards. What that means to performance is really unclear but everyone seems to agree it will increase the price of the Duramax. I have heard anywhere from $1K - 5K increase in the option price for the GMT 900 Duramax.

Stay away from any 04.5-05 LLY trucks. They are dogs and will overheat.

Read up a bit here for more info on the Dmax www.dieselplace.com

Datdude
08-20-2006, 12:28 AM
The LBZ appears to be the real deal. Most owners are very happy and you cannot beat the 6 speed auto with paddle shifters. The GM trucks will ride much better than your Dodge and will be quiter. Also don't forget trucks MFGd after Jan 1st 2007 will have to meet the new emission standards. What that means to performance is really unclear but everyone seems to agree it will increase the price of the Duramax. I have heard anywhere from $1K - 5K increase in the option price for the GMT 900 Duramax.

Stay away from any 04.5-05 LLY trucks. They are dogs and will overheat.

Read up a bit here for more info on the Dmax www.dieselplace.com

I stumbled upon the diesel place website and found a ton of great information. I have been very happy with the Ram, but the CHevy seems to be a little more for the money. I am hoping totake delivery of the truck on Tuesday:) . Thanks again for all of the input