PDA

View Full Version : Best Prop For A Ps197

pq2
08-17-2006, 05:43 PM
What would you recomend? I have to buy a new prop for my boat and I dont know wich is better??

Help:confused:

vogelm1
08-17-2006, 06:01 PM
You hadn't mentioned which engine option you have, but if it's the MCX, I would HIGHLY recommend a cnc'd Acme 13x12. I believe their part number is #843. This is a 3 blade prop, so not sure how you feel initially about that. I was looking for a couple mph for barefooting, and did a side by side comparison on the same day, same lake, same conditions and gained 2.5 mph and 200 rpm. Hole shot appeared to be pretty close to the OEM prop (I took a pull on the double-boot slalom ski), but acceleration was noticeably faster and it felt less "doggy" while driving. The only minor thing I didn't like about the prop was it sounded just a little noisy. It was especially apparent while pulling back on the throttle - just had a bit of a 'growl' to it. Actually my friends thought it sounded tough. My dealer let me "test drive" the prop during July before buying and a week later, I tore my ACL - my season is shot the rest of this year - so didn't plunk down the $350 yet. I'll definitely be doing that first thing next year and running exclusively with the Acme.

pq2
08-17-2006, 06:52 PM
thanks, I have the MCX, motor, i will look for the one you are recomending. I had read good things about the here.

thanks again.

6ballsisall
08-17-2006, 06:55 PM
I have the 843 on my X7 (same boat as you) w/ MCX 1:1. I really like it! Top end is better, mid range is better, and when you back out of the throttle from slalom speeds you have SERIOUS brakes. Get one, I think you'll like it!

Ric
08-17-2006, 07:00 PM
erk says "stock prop"

pq2
08-17-2006, 07:03 PM
that sounds perfect, thaks JR

pq2
08-17-2006, 07:10 PM
erk says "stock prop"

Why???:confused:

Ric
08-17-2006, 07:19 PM
Why???:confused: It's a sales tactic :rolleyes:

pq2
08-17-2006, 07:25 PM
I read that the 4 blade props are more resistant, is that true???

Ric
08-17-2006, 07:30 PM
I am kidding about erk
I have not even begun to study props but erk kept telling me stock prop when I'd ask what prop was on the 04 197 he had for sale

jr has studied the 197 props, so has pendo but he is running the slot

PendO
08-17-2006, 08:38 PM
I read that the 4 blade props are more resistant, is that true???

What do you mean by "resistant" ... are you talking drag?

vogelm1
08-17-2006, 09:01 PM
thanks, I have the MCX, motor, i will look for the one you are recomending. I had read good things about the here.

thanks again.

No problem - One thing to keep in mind is this won't be a quantum 'knock your socks off' difference (we're talking a couple mph, and peppier performance overall), but enough to spend the bones for it. After having it on my boat for a week, then going back to the stock 4 blade, it was REALLY apparent what I was missing. Good luck!

6ballsisall
08-18-2006, 09:09 AM
No problem - One thing to keep in mind is this won't be a quantum 'knock your socks off' difference (we're talking a couple mph, and peppier performance overall), but enough to spend the bones for it. After having it on my boat for a week, then going back to the stock 4 blade, it was REALLY apparent what I was missing. Good luck!

Agreed........there was noticeable difference on my MCX BUT i doubt you'll feel like you gained a supercharger. Now on my last boat, the 95 190 w/ TBI engine it WAS like a different motor. Everyone that drove that boat swore the motor had to be hopped up, it ran like a raped ape.

3event
08-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Anyone have comments on Predator / RTP engine on a 197 upgrading to ACME 843?

Do you guys recommend buy direct from ACME ?

What's the approx price I should expect to pay?

Thanks !!!!!

6ballsisall
08-18-2006, 09:24 AM
Anyone have comments on Predator / RTP engine on a 197 upgrading to ACME 843?

Do you guys recommend buy direct from ACME ?

What's the approx price I should expect to pay?

Thanks !!!!!

No first hand experiences about the RTP engine on a Acme prop. I don't think you'll need the 843 as the 843 is for the splined shaft which they started using in 03 IIRC. Prior to that the 1:1 3 blade was the 541, which I had on my TBI PS190. The prices of materials have gone up and I think they are retailing for around $425-450 IIRC. Decent deals can be had though but probably not directly thru ACME. ;) Most places will let you trial test one of these to make sure you like it. I know Chicago MC sells them, might give erk a try if you want one.

3event
08-18-2006, 09:30 AM
Got it. I will have to check and see what my options would be. Got to benchmark performance a little this weekend. Don't run her wide open too often.

I haven't looked seriously at upgrading the prop yet, but with all the info you guys post here it's easy to get a bit educated real quick. If I can improve BOTH pulling and top end it's a winner !

pq2
08-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Im tring to find an ACME dealer in florida, thanks for the comments.