PDA

View Full Version : Moisture control question during storage

dwe
08-02-2004, 12:57 AM
I live in an apartment, and have to store my boat outside. When I come home from skiing, I clean the boat, and have to cover it up--and the interior is usually not dry. My main problems are that I don't like to leave it open all day while I'm gone to let it dry, and I'm not in range to plug in some type of dehumidifier or fan.

I've thought of maybe finding a battery powered fan and some rechargeable batteries, and/or something like the damprid cannisters. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David

Leroy
08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
David;

Maybe it depends some on how much water. Are you having any trouble or just worried/curious what others do?

I have never had a problem with the boat drying, but if a lot of water and under the cushtions leave them out of place. You really need to dry between cushions or you'll get black spot mold. For ski vest and other gear I just spread out, velcro gloves to the steering wheel, and hang the wet ropes on something. I did pack wet life jackets in storage once when I first got my boat and they really smelled like 2-3 days later. Never again since I spread out on the boat. If your cover leaks that is another issue. But if you crawl under the cover during the day it's an oven inside there and things dry out quickly. You can do things to aid the drying, but I haven't found it necessary with a little care when you put it away for the day.

Prostar19
08-02-2004, 10:30 PM
Not sure how well these work but just saw them in the catalog and thought it may work for you. :confused:

www.overtons.com
20424 - Model 1000, Happy's Air Dryr® $53.99

20425 - Model 500, Happy's Air Dryr® $45.99

dwe
08-03-2004, 12:04 AM
I haven't actually experienced mildew yet--just go the boat saturday. I just noticed the next day when I came out, the interior was moist everywhere from what seemed to be steam from the wet carpets--glass was fogged, etc. I'm just concerned that that will turn into mildew. Leroy, do you leave your boat out under a cover? I spoke w/ mastercraft today over a bunch of questions I had, and on this topic, they said with an outdoor cover, some owners have rolled up carpet between the egde of the cover and boat--still keeps rain from getting in, but allow some ventilation.

Prostar-thanks for the link to happy's. My only problem is I can't run a power cord out to the boat.

David

H20skeefreek
08-03-2004, 06:29 AM
they make 12volt dryers that would run off your battery, you could install a second batter just for that. also, they make vents you can put on your cover. They would help.

http://www.boatcovers.com/boatCovers/accessories.asp

DanC
08-03-2004, 11:16 AM
You need to get that moisture out of there.
I use the snap-on vents. See H2OSkeefreak's link. I install two on the center line of the cover, one just aft of the windshield, one just in front of the rear seat. A small battery powered fan and natural convection should do ya just fine. Mine dries out in about 24 hours. If you don't want to install the vents, keep the boat cover lifted up in two spots, such as right behind the windshield on each gunnel and use a fan. I am a big fan of using fans 8p .

If you don't get the moisture out you will get mildew. You may not see the mildew but it gets into the carpet. You may not smell the mildew but when the carpet gets wet it will smell like cat pee :mad: .

bcampbe7
08-03-2004, 11:19 AM
Not sure how well these work but may be worth a try:
Moisture control (http://www.no-odor.com/23300R.html)

dwe
08-03-2004, 04:41 PM
Dan, how do you like those vents? Is that the only venting you do? Are you storing under similar conditions as I am (sunny florida)? What I did was cut 4 4x4" styrofoam blocks, and I stuff them under the cover, on outside edge of the gunnel. It seems to create a pretty good sized area for moist hot air to escape. I also made a frame of pvc similar to the one from the malibu site, to prevent water pooling. A vent at the highest point would probably be pretty efficient though. Would water intrude if the vent was at an angle, like the slope down from the windshield?

Does anyone know of a good battery powered fan source? I searched, and what I've found so far are very small desktop fans. The 12 volt fan sounds interesting as well.

My only experienc with the damp rid stuff, was in college. My dorm room would use up one of those things in short order--couldn't imagine how short they'd last in the boat. Any experiences?

DanC
08-03-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm in California. Not humid but hot.
Your styrofoam blocks method should work well. I do the same thing if the boat is really wet and going to be in the direct sun (like when camping, and there is no 1 hr road trip to help dry the boat out) You don't need much of a fan, just enough to mix the air a little. Those little battery powered toy fans that hang around your neck would probably do. I like a fan because it helps pull the moisture out of the nooks and crannies faster.

My front vent is just aft of the windshield peak, vent cover pointing down, so no water comes in. Rear vent is just behind a support pole I put in the engine cover drink holder, also at an angle.

I hear dessicants work well but you will have to bake them once in a while to dry them back out.

I run an extension cord to my boat and run a small desk top fan on the floor in front of the engine cover. I have it set up on a 110v timer but I have removed the start time pin. Plug it all in, set the timer and it will run for 24 hours, turn off and not turn back on again.
A 12v fan is cheap and will work but you have to remember to go out and turn it off. I don't know of any cheap 12v timers. If you can't run 110 to your boat you could use a converter. I have a small 12v -110v converter installed in my boat for cell phone chargers, cameras..... 12-24 hrs of a small desk top fan should not drain your battery too much.

gene dobies
09-01-2004, 09:21 AM
I see that on the 2005 covers they have built-in vents now.

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 02:30 PM
A good breathable cover & a few Dry-Z-Air baskets. Dry-Z-Air is a funky little basket that you fill with silica pellets. Their cheap, available at most any hardware store & absorb a lot of moisture. I use like three of them in my own boat & empty the basket of water once a week.... and have little or no problem with moisture at all.

Check them out here:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/ProductPage.aspx?productname=Dri-Z-Air&productid=102093&producttype=10

ski_king
09-01-2004, 02:49 PM
I have been thinking of getting one of those little solar powered fans they make for cars and modifing it to use to get some air moving under the cover.
Mount the fan on a litttle stand and lay to sit on the floor and set the solar cell on the swim platform.

Memo
09-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Has anyone considered installing solar powered vents on the canvas? I have seen them on West marine catalog they are designed to be installed on hard surfaces such as hatches or fiberglass deck but with little resourcefulness it could be modified to fit canvas. They operate day and night on solar power. The only down fall I see is that would not be able to tow with the cover on due to weight, but I never tow with the cover on anyway. Below link is example of one solar powered vent. Any thoughts……

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=13726 (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&langId=-1&catalogId=10001&productId=13726)

Leroy
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
Both of these products look really neat, being electrical engr I appreciate things like this. Are you looking to solve a problem or just prevention? I even have 110V next to my boat but haven't found it necessary to put in fan or dehumidifier if I wipe down after each trip.

dwe
09-01-2004, 07:36 PM
My problem seems to be that the carpets dont' dry out, and from there they'll get an odor. I generally use the boat 1x/week, so it doesn't get too bad--just musty smelling. I wonder if the damp rid type devices would help my problem, seeing that is has become more of a drying the carpet out thing? What I have been doing is when I come in, I take towels and dry the carpet as best I can, to get most of the water out (sometimes I leave it open in the sun for an afternoon, but some wet spots always remain), prop open the obs. seat and engin compartment, and put my cover on with two styrofoam spacers on each side to allow air in/out of the interior. I looked at a battery powered fan to leave in the boat, but wonder if they would move enough air to do any good?

AirJunky
09-01-2004, 07:59 PM
You will be stunned how much water you'll dump out of the Dry-Z-Air baskets every week. It's so simple & cheap, you wouldn't think it would do a damn thing. Rest assured they work. I use them with a small fan I picked up at West Marine. The boat is usually dry inside of a day or two.

Leroy
09-02-2004, 01:25 PM
Looks cheap enough. How does this work? Does it just blow air across the crystals and they soak up the water? How often do you need to change or buy new crystals?

AirJunky
09-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Looks cheap enough. How does this work? Does it just blow air across the crystals and they soak up the water? How often do you need to change or buy new crystals?

It's witchcraft.... no idea how they work. You fill the basket with the crystals about once every 3 or 4 weeks. They cost like $1.49 per bag. I buy them at Lowes, Home Depot, Fred Meyer, etc. I dump the water out like once a week or so.

dwe
09-06-2004, 08:25 PM
Bill,
How big is a Dry-z-air? Damp-rid is what's sold around here, and the catch basin is about 1 quart. Just wondering if the dryzair might be bigger or better. damp rids are $5, and the dryzairs are $17 at performance. I'd like to try these w/o using a fan, since I don't have a close power source. Do you leave your carpets wet at all when you put your boat away?

Thanks,
David

Leroy
09-06-2004, 09:38 PM
Thanks Bill, looked on the internet and couldn't see how it works. Just like knowing how things like that work! :confused: