PDA

View Full Version : I'm glad they stepped up security

milkmania
08-16-2006, 11:33 PM
I wonder if I have a chance to save a couple bucks?

and to think that they in Orange Alert status:rolleyes:

British boy sneaks on plane in London

A 12-year-old boy managed to get around stepped up security and board a jetliner at an airport outside London without a passport or a boarding pass.
The boy was discovered by cabin crew and turned over to airport police. Officials said they could not explain how he got aboard the plane, especially in light of security checks imposed last week after authorities foiled an alleged plot to bomb jetliners leaving Britain.
The youngster, who was not named because of his age, left a children's home near Liverpool and began the 245-mile journey Monday by taking a train to London and then going to Gatwick airport outside the city, said Phil Green, spokesman for the Wigan town council, which oversees the boy's care.
"Police were alerted as soon as it was realized he had absconded," Green said.
Once at Gatwick, the boy dodged stringent airport security and made his way aboard a 6 a.m. Monarch Airlines flight to Lisbon, Portugal.
He was noticed by a staff member and taken to the airport's police station before the plane departed.
Christine Smith, a Sussex police spokeswoman, said the boy waited in the station until social services officials arrived. "As far as I'm aware he was quite well-behaved," she said.
The British Airports Authority said it was investigating the incident.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060816/ap_on_re_eu/britain_boy_on_board

jimmer2880
08-17-2006, 07:41 AM
That makes me feel all warm & fuzzy about how well the new security screening is working.

6ballsisall
08-17-2006, 11:22 AM
New security is nothing different....My wife, 1 year old and I flew to Colorado yesterday out of CVG. At the airport there were signs ALL over saying no juice, baby food etc... allowed. We put the diaper backpack thru the x-ray scanner with all of that stuff, I watched the security lady look right at it and wave it on no problem. My allergies are a mess right now and I carried on a bottle of OTC nasal spray in my carry on no problem. Lastly, the bomb sniffer/puffer thing you go thru was broken and they just waived everyone on like it was no big deal. The new security changes are nothing more than a scare tactic shown on the media...........

edit: forgot to add, the lady behind me in the security line walked thru security with a Venti sized cup of Starbucks in her hand, not a word was said......

phecksel
08-17-2006, 11:57 AM
Airline security has always been a joke.

Maristar210
08-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Security in general is a joke. You can only do so much when there are that many people traveling on any given day. It's just a matter of time.

Steve

Thrall
08-17-2006, 01:15 PM
I thought you were allowed to bring baby food/formula.
***. We are flying in a couple weeks w/ a newborn (1mo old now) and he doesn't go more than 2-3hrs w/o needing a bottle. It's gonna take about 6 hrs to get to Ohare form Albq thru DFW. That anit gonna work. The little bugger will eat twice in that amount of time. I guess if he's crying uncontrollably, we'll be able to give him to a stewardess to babysit until we land????
I thought the biggest problem would be the return flight (we are going to boat/ski/board w/ friends for a week) when I can't have my 64oz water/Mtn Dew to help w/ the hangover!

Workin' 4 Toys
08-17-2006, 02:31 PM
Thrall, they allow baby food. They "MIGHT" check it. Well, "should" would be a better word....:rolleyes: How do they check it anyway, safety seals?

This word security is a hot topic around now. Strange thing is, O'HARE has been finding lately some police and servicemen have shown up at their destinations with theirs Guns missing from CHECKED baggage.....
Click here for the story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0608140200aug14,1,2838681.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true)

milkmania
08-17-2006, 02:54 PM
Thrall, they allow baby food. They "MIGHT" check it. Well, "should" would be a better word....:rolleyes: How do they check it anyway, safety seals?

This word security is a hot topic around now. Strange thing is, O'HARE has been finding lately some police and servicemen have shown up at their destinations with theirs Guns missing from CHECKED baggage.....
Click here for the story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0608140200aug14,1,2838681.story?coll=chi-newsnationworld-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true)

you're gonna have to paste a little bit of it
Please register or log in
The story you requested is available only to registered members.

boatless
08-18-2006, 09:44 AM
Come on people, give our airport security system some credit will you ? Maybe you were able to go through a check line easily is because you don't look like Osama.

If you want to test how well the airport security system, try to go through the gate with a walky talky, a China made AK-47 and dress up like Osama. I bet you will be laying on the floor eating dirt before you can say the words America is great. :D

God, I love the USA.

boatless.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-18-2006, 11:28 AM
you're gonna have to paste a little bit of it:o

Several handguns have been stolen from bags checked by police officers, military personnel and others on United Airlines flights departing O'Hare International Airport, sparking concern that the weapons are loose in what is supposed to be a secure part of the airport.

Since the beginning of the year, there have been "a handful" of firearm thefts from luggage being handled by United personnel, Chicago police spokeswoman Monique Bond said. Bags containing guns also have disappeared, authorities said.

News of an investigation surfaced days after new security restrictions were placed on airports across the nation in the wake of British authorities foiling what they said was a plot to blow up U.S.-bound airplanes.

Aviation security experts said stealing from checked luggage long has been a problem at many airports and that guns are a favored target because they are easy to smuggle out and easy to sell.

Still another concern is that putting something into a bag could be just as easy as taking an item out, experts said.

"It's a problem at every airline and every airport," said aviation security consultant Douglas Laird.

Obviously theres ALOT more to it, but you get the idea.....

Jwhitsett1129
08-18-2006, 11:45 AM
Am I the only one that thinks it is ridiculous that you can't carry on any type of liquid, but you can check it? Do they think that terrorists can't devise a mechanism to automatically open a valve and mix two fluids in a peice of luggage to make an exlposive device? The scary thing about the whole situation is that terrorists are intelligent, and damn good at what they do. This leaves us in a fairly reactive instead of proactive mode to fight them.

Don't get me wrong, I am as anti-terror as anyone, but I just don't see how we can stay one step ahead...:confused:

Monte
08-18-2006, 12:06 PM
W., not that he has made me too happy lately, but is tryng his dangdest to keep the internal spying going. If ya don't have anything to hide whats the big deal... That is proactive... It's been going on for years.. why is it just now the courts wanna stop it:confused: .. Not trying to get political for sure.... :toast: Feds busted some pregnant pakistani chick in Charlotte or Detroit (story wasn't too clear)yterdy with a bottle of something w/ explosive agents on the outside. It was in the check luggage...:mad: Those %*$@! are crazy!!

phecksel
08-18-2006, 08:56 PM
W., not that he has made me too happy lately, but is tryng his dangdest to keep the internal spying going. If ya don't have anything to hide whats the big deal... That is proactive... It's been going on for years.. why is it just now the courts wanna stop it:confused: .. Not trying to get political for sure.... :toast: Feds busted some pregnant pakistani chick in Charlotte or Detroit (story wasn't too clear)yterdy with a bottle of something w/ explosive agents on the outside. It was in the check luggage...:mad: Those %*$@! are crazy!!
Pakistani chick first. Please provide the link that says there was woman busted for carrying explosives. There was one woman detained for allegidly carrying bomb material, but it was an overly sensitive or improperly calibrated sniffer.

I personally get offended with any group characterizations, such as "those" are used.

WRT courts ordering the stopping of illegal wire tapping, they made the right decision. Over and over and over again, our fearless leaders have historically taken illegally obtained information and use it in less then honorable ways. The law allows for short term emergency wire tapping, but the ordering agency has to follow up and obtain the court order. Bush administration has stated they can listen in on anybody's conversation they want to, all in the fight against terrorism. The big deal is the potential of justifying wiretapping to help his replacement get elected, instead of one of "those" democrats. The day I depend on any elected govt official (other then my wife, LOL) to always doing the right thing, is the day I'll buy a bayliner! Being as close to politics as we have gotten, it absolutely amazes me, and the bigger they are, the worse they get.

Monte
08-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Pakistani chick first. Please provide the link that says there was woman busted for carrying explosives. There was one woman detained for allegidly carrying bomb material, but it was an overly sensitive or improperly calibrated sniffer.

I personally get offended with any group characterizations, such as "those" are used.

WRT courts ordering the stopping of illegal wire tapping, they made the right decision. Over and over and over again, our fearless leaders have historically taken illegally obtained information and use it in less then honorable ways. The law allows for short term emergency wire tapping, but the ordering agency has to follow up and obtain the court order. Bush administration has stated they can listen in on anybody's conversation they want to, all in the fight against terrorism. The big deal is the potential of justifying wiretapping to help his replacement get elected, instead of one of "those" democrats. The day I depend on any elected govt official (other then my wife, LOL) to always doing the right thing, is the day I'll buy a bayliner! Being as close to politics as we have gotten, it absolutely amazes me, and the bigger they are, the worse they get.
OK...... again: not trying to get political.... made an err in judgement.... I APOLOGIZE.... I am a little p-terbed of the fact that I have to watch my arse soo much!! Getting on and off the airplne stinks now!!!

phecksel
08-18-2006, 11:30 PM
OK...... again: not trying to get political.... made an err in judgement.... I APOLOGIZE.... I am a little p-terbed of the fact that I have to watch my arse soo much!! Getting on and off the airplne stinks now!!!
Being involved in politics like we are, has reinforced how crooked politicians are. I have watched some unbelievable stuff happen, and the attitude is let them chew up their own personal money suing us, because I'm going to take care of my stuff first. It took over six months for me to get documents from a FOIA requests, and they never did provide the one document I was looking for. I know it exists, because I saw it. Best part, my wife is on council! My solution is to file a lawsuit in circuit court, and can already hear the defense, there is no such document in existence.

WRT to flying, like I said in an earlier post, the actions taken are mostly feel good. I've done my share of flying, both commercial and private, and there's way too many ways for someone who really wants to cause havoc to succeed. Terrorists, both citizens, and international will always unfortunately be with us, and I will support taking the upper road in the fight. For us to give up our rights and laws means they won. Our rights have been slowly eroding over the years, with occasional large losses, usually as a reaction to some event.

Time to get off the soap box and get some sleep, just in case it doesn't rain tomorrow and we can ski!

Monte
08-18-2006, 11:50 PM
:twocents: Wakeboard I will!!!!!!!