PDA

View Full Version : Oil in the hull!!! Any ideas??

DrJ
08-16-2006, 07:30 PM
Here is the story. 2004 X2 w/ 350 predator engine. Ran the boat fairly hard all weekend and had no problem. It ran very very well. No oil pressure problems over the weekend. I did not notice any oil in the hull when I pulled the plugs on Sunday. I put the boat in the garage on Sunday, everything seemed OK. Last night went to the garage and noticed a HUGE puddle of oil that had leaked out of the front drain plug hole:confused: . It's about 1 1/4 qts. low. It is definitely engine oil, not transmission. I quickly checked the usual suspects; oil filter, oil drain hose (drain end), head gaskets. And nothing. So, has anyone had this happen to them on this new of an engine? And what else needs to be checked? I will go back to the shop tonight, look a little harder and see what I can find. I will keep everyone posted.

sanjuan23
08-16-2006, 09:15 PM
:eek3: :eek3:

wesgardner
08-17-2006, 10:12 AM
Hate to say it, but an engine can be "bad" right out of the box - maybe the rear main oil seal? Maybe wipe the entire underside of the engine down REALLY well, run it for a bit then see if you can further isolate the leak

BuoyChaser
08-17-2006, 10:19 AM
use purple power (get at WalMart) and spray on directly to the hull...will bead up oil and can easily hose it down...then you can track down where the leak is coming from exactly!!!

Purple Power is biodegradeable too!!!

Monte
08-17-2006, 10:38 AM
use purple power (get at WalMart) and spray on directly to the hull...will bead up oil and can easily hose it down...then you can track down where the leak is coming from exactly!!!

Good idea BC... make sure to water the PurpleP down though... it is not a good thing for protective finishes. Will eat Clearcoat/ waxes off. Check around the oil pan. Had that issue with a veh. Gasket can loose seal.

BuoyChaser
08-17-2006, 10:52 AM
Good idea BC... make sure to water the PurpleP down though... it is not a good thing for protective finishes. Will eat Clearcoat/ waxes off. Check around the oil pan. Had that issue with a veh. Gasket can loose seal.
i could see it eating off waxes, but not the clearcoat???

Monte
08-17-2006, 11:07 AM
i could see it eating off waxes, but not the clearcoat???
Serious, learned it the hard way:mad: Maybe I just left it on a little too long 5 or so mins tryng to get bugs off the front bmpr 200bones for repaint.... stuffs parful.. ruined a set of alum whls too..:mad: It works, I just suggest a dilute!:D

bigmac
08-17-2006, 12:13 PM
i could see it eating off waxes, but not the clearcoat???No clear coat on boats, though..right? It might ruin the wax, but shouldn't harm the gel coat?

KnoxX2
08-17-2006, 12:19 PM
Don't think I would risk my Gel-coat. Good luck with the leak!!! Keep us posted....

DrJ
08-31-2006, 05:22 PM
Well I have good news to report. Turns out there was a small crack in the brass cap on the end of the oil drain hose. When I checked it the first time I missed it. So I cleaned up all the oil and found fresh oil at the end of the hose the next morning. So it seems that someone tightened it to much and cracked it. So the fix cost a whopping $1.35 at Lowes. So, the good guys win again. Thanks for the advice guys.

WTRSK1R
08-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Glad you found the leak and that it was nothing serious. I have a curious question though. On both of my boats the oil change hose is routed up through a cable tie so that the end of the hose is higher then the engine or at least near the top of the engine. Maybe I am just anal, but I always put it back in that spot after an oil change, and it could never leak. In fact, I barely tighten it with a wrench since there is no way it could leak. Was / is your oil change hose just laying in the bottom of the bilge? Just curious.

TMCNo1
08-31-2006, 07:54 PM
It sure is sweet when good news is disclosed. Many times problems are just like the split cap, yet drive you crazy till you find out how simple a fix it is. Great to hear you found it!

brianaw26
08-31-2006, 07:57 PM

But watch out. The oil in the purple power isnt

TMCNo1
08-31-2006, 08:01 PM
Glad you found the leak and that it was nothing serious. I have a curious question though. On both of my boats the oil change hose is routed up through a cable tie so that the end of the hose is higher then the engine or at least near the top of the engine. Maybe I am just anal, but I always put it back in that spot after an oil change, and it could never leak. In fact, I barely tighten it with a wrench since there is no way it could leak. Was / is your oil change hose just laying in the bottom of the bilge? Just curious.

Our '89's hose always laid in the bilge, till I saw the newer boats had them attached high on the engine. I hung it off the alternator bracket with a clip, making it easier access, less scratches in the bilge gelcoat, easier to see and less likely to leak if cap come loose or cracks, etc., because the end is now above the oil pan.