PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft cruise control vs. Perfect pass

bonedoc
11-14-2004, 05:05 PM
Just wanted to hear a few people's experience with the Mastercraft cruise control system. I have used wakeboard pro in the past and loved it, though it comes with a ton of features I never use. All I need is something that I can set the speed on, will get up to speed without overshooting the entered speed by more than a few MPH, and hold it there constantly while wakeboarding. I have heard Mastercraft's system is a little sluggish on maintaining speed when really pulling on the boat, slowing down and then over shooting the set speed every time you cut across the wake. Just trying to determine if Perfect Pass is worth getting, or if Mastercrafts system standard w/ the MCX will suffice without me getting ticked off with it's lack of accuracy. Thanks.

André
11-14-2004, 05:53 PM
Hey Doc!
Do i smell new boat order? :confused:

WakePowell
11-14-2004, 07:14 PM
When we ordered our new boat we elected to add the Wakeboard Pro version of PerfectPass. The standard version does not allow you to preset the speed. It is more like the cruise control on a car where you get it to the desired speed and then set it.

WallenpaupackPA
11-15-2004, 02:36 PM
I have had both PerfectPass and the MasterCraft Cruise that is included with the MCX and the 2 systems work a little bit different from each other. With PerfectPass, once you reach the set speed the system takes over pretty responsively. With MasterCraft Cruise, you set the speed (you can preset it - it is not like the cruise control in a car as indicated above) and after you _exceed_ that speed, the control takes over and slowly brings the speed down to the set point.

My thought on these systems is that if you've had PerfectPass in the past and actually used it, you'll probably be happier sticking with that system particularly if the cost is not a massive factor. Some of the quirks of the MC Cruise will be a little irritating such as: what seems like a programming error is the fact that in the Speed mode, the display does not switch from a flashing to a constant display as it does in the other 2 modes, you have to exceed the set speed by at least a few mph before it takes over, and once engaged, moving the throttle forward to accelerate does nothing (freaked me out at first).

On balance, if you were somebody that never had any speed control before, the system is very adequate for the purpose and you'd be less sensitive to the differences particularly given that if you upgrade to the MCX or higher engine you don't specifically have to pay anything additional to get it.