PDA

View Full Version : Oil in my bilge blower hose?????

Danimal
08-16-2006, 10:34 AM
So... I was pulling the boat apart last night to look at my rudder assembly. I have a larger than normal leak that has been driving me nuts. Took the motor box off along with the rear center section of flooring and the battery box. To get the battery box out I had to disconnect the blower hose from the blower. While doing this approximately 1/4 of a quart of oil dumped out of the blower hose. Needless to say I FREAKED!! After further inspection I decided that there is no way on this earth that oil could have got inside the blower hose due to some sort of engine failure. The engine runs great and the oil level is fine. When running the boat I have never even smelled burning oil which would leave me to believe I don't have a gasket leak or anything of that nature.

Does anyone have any idea, short of a MasterCraft mechanic being a smart *** by dumping oil down the hose for sh!ts and giggles??

ntidsl
08-16-2006, 10:37 AM
dude that's weird...

Danimal
08-16-2006, 10:39 AM
dude that's weird...

Tell me about it!:confused:

JimN
08-16-2006, 10:40 AM
If the oil was dirty or you haven't been the only one to change the oil, it's possible that some got in the blower and hose either directly by dropping the filter and not cleaning everything out or by being in the bilge and floating in with the water from leaking in.

Danimal
08-16-2006, 10:49 AM
If the oil was dirty or you haven't been the only one to change the oil, it's possible that some got in the blower and hose either directly by dropping the filter and not cleaning everything out or by being in the bilge and floating in with the water from leaking in.

Jim, the oil was dirty. I agree that it must have happened during an oil change however even if that did happen I cannot see how some oil in the bottom of the bilge could get into the blower hose. The blower hose intake is a good 6 inches off the floor of the bilge as is the blower motor. I cannot see the blower being strong enough to suck oil 6 inches off the floor of the bilge. Not saying it isn't possible, just seems unlikely.

Edit - My oil filter is on the opposite side of the blower motor also.

Leroy
08-16-2006, 11:00 AM
This is strange, however oil floats and seems like a mythbuster test that maybe oil floated into the blower hose and then the water evaporated leaving the oil behind.....`

Danimal
08-16-2006, 11:12 AM
This is strange, however oil floats and seems like a mythbuster test that maybe oil floated into the blower hose and then the water evaporated leaving the oil behind.....`

What you and Jim say are true. If this is indeed the case then this boat had water in it that up to or over the bottom of the motor at one time. That's a lot of water!!

Now - I still have the problem of that pesky little water leak. The rudder is just a touch sloppy but not to bad that it has me concerned. Today I will hit the zirks with some grease and re-caulk the rudder plate and see if that helps. I hate maintenance. That is why God made mechanics on the 8th day8p

JimN
08-16-2006, 12:08 PM
The oil on the water was my point. It won't look like just oil if this happened, though. It'll look a lot more funky.

Greasing and sealing the plate won't get rid of the looseness. It's out of tolerance or the O rings are gone. It's not that bad of a job to replace them. This really should be done right. If the rings are gone, it's metal on metal and then it wears, causing it to eventually fail.

cwright
08-16-2006, 02:12 PM
Sounds strange all right. An idea I have would require your blower hose to be laying in the bottom of the bilge, and the bilge be full of oil. Are you the boats only owner?

I did an oil change once and the gasket from the filter stuck on the block, the new filter had its own gasket and the result was a double stacked gasket. Well they don't like being dowble stacked and the one on the block squirted out producing an undetected and unknown gap. Starting the engine (with the engine box closed of course) I basically pumped all of my new oil out of my engine and into my bilge, before Irealized waht was happening. (The no oil pressure should have been a clue). If this has ever happened to your boat and you don't know about it, and if your blower hose was laying in the oil, and if your blower hose is not a perfect seal (small holes), I could see oil seeping into the closed system. If the clean oil sat there long enough it would pick up dust, become dirty looking (?), thicken up and get kind of gummy. Thats the only explanation I can think of other than somebody pouring old oil down your vent.

PS: I always double check the removed oil filters (cars too) for the old gasket.

Danimal
08-16-2006, 03:21 PM
Yeah not sure what happened but with that being said I will assume that is not an issue. There was some oil residue in the bilge when I bought it. It looked as though whoever changed the oil had a little accident. The blower hose may have well been on the bilge floor at that time.

Jim - I was going to replace all the seals/o-rings at the end of the season. I have a lot of work that needs to be done on the boat including shaft/engine alighment. The prop shaft is not coming out of the center of the hull through hole. It's way off to the left side when looking at from underneath the boat. This has me concerned about burnig out the strut bearing and damaging the shaft. I was also going to replace all the carpet and thought this fall would be a great time to rip everything apart.

Thanks for all the replies guys!

Hunterb
08-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Look closely at the shaft before you condemn the strut bushing etc. The shaft is supposed to be to the left of the rudder when you look from the back of the boat. If you take off the prop and unbolt the coupler at the tranny is should slide back right past the left side of the rudder. You can check your shaft alignment by unbolting the coupler, knockng it back a bit, then sliding it up to the transmission and measuring the gap at various points around the coupler. I believe there should be no more than a .02" difference around the coupler. If you have to force it in any direction to get it bolted back up, you have an alignment problem.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Good luck with the oil problem.

Bruce

Danimal
08-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Look closely at the shaft before you condemn the strut bushing etc. The shaft is supposed to be to the left of the rudder when you look from the back of the boat. If you take off the prop and unbolt the coupler at the tranny is should slide back right past the left side of the rudder. You can check your shaft alignment by unbolting the coupler, knockng it back a bit, then sliding it up to the transmission and measuring the gap at various points around the coupler. I believe there should be no more than a .02" difference around the coupler. If you have to force it in any direction to get it bolted back up, you have an alignment problem.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Good luck with the oil problem.

Bruce

Thanks Hunterb. That is great info. I will try to do that this weekend if I can get a chance.