PDA

View Full Version : Lawd, even I'm tired of it.

Knoxes
11-12-2004, 07:10 PM
Anybody see John Mellencamp on A&E's Live by Request? What a great show. Cool idea too.

MarkP
11-12-2004, 07:43 PM
I dint see it Knoxes.. Whud I miss??

BriEOD
11-12-2004, 08:22 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say that you were sick of talking politics... :purplaugh

Knoxes
11-12-2004, 10:21 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say that you were sick of talking politics... :purplaugh

Ugh. I am.

Mark - It's about a 2 hr show, live in front of a small audience, and the artist, JM in this case, just takes call in requests. This show was done in Indiana, his home state. I didn't catch the whole thing, but people just call in and most had a little story about one of his songs and then he justs plays away. Then they take another call. There's a host who kinda directs the flow, but it's almost pure live requests. Obviously, most people want to hear his old stuff, but he played some more recent tunes. Man, that guy was on in the 80's and 90's - had his finger on the pulse of American folk music. He did one of my favorites, Jackie Brown. Awesome song.

They've had a bunch of others that I musta missed - Tony Bennett, Earth, Wind & Fire, Willie Nelson, Elvis Costello, Don Henley, Vince Gill, Reba McEntire, Neil Diamond, BB King, John Fogerty, Lyle Lovett. I think it's being rebroadcast (yes - http://www.aetv.com/global/listings/series_showcase.jsp?EGrpType=Series&Id=11996509&NetwCode=AEN) tomorrow morning at 11.

lakes Rick
11-13-2004, 11:20 PM
Earth wind and fire only has one of the orignal people in it.. I saw them (him) about a year ago and they suck.. Nuthing like they were in the day......

stevo137
11-14-2004, 12:00 PM
This guy never stops being great! Joe Satriani.
We met him a couple of weeks ago in a local music store for a mingle and signing session!
We went to this show at the House of Blues Chicago that same night and it was the best!
Keep in mind, pic phone. Whoops, I don't think taking pics is allowed at the show! :D

dmac
11-14-2004, 06:09 PM
We saw RUSH in August, 30th anniversary tour, they left nothing on the table. They gave us 3 hours, 2 90 minute sets. :worthy:

If you are a RUSH fan, this is the tour to see.

JimN
11-14-2004, 10:03 PM
I saw them in June. Another great show. How did you like their tribute to the bands they grew up listening to? Summertime Blues and Crossroads absolutely ROCKED! :headbang:

Knoxes
11-14-2004, 10:47 PM
That's a band that I never did see that I really wish I had.

Too old now...

JimN
11-14-2004, 11:04 PM
I had never seen them till last year, but they do a great show. I would like to have seen them way back, but they play the old stuff as well as I could have wanted them to back then and they have more material to play now, anyway.

jpattigr
11-14-2004, 11:18 PM
I have seen Rush many times and they are always very professional! They never rip off their fans!! But the list of bands above that were on A&E are all pros.

JimN
11-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Yeah, nothing like seeing a band that just seems to be going through the motions, eh? The bands listed care enough to not put on bad shows. Too bad there are bands that think the universe revolves around them so they may put on a bad show or tour, but they don't care at all.

Knoxes
11-15-2004, 09:50 AM
I could think of a few that I'd love to see do that kind of format, and first on the list is probably Paul Simon, but after that, Steve Winwood, Sting, Dylan, Bonnie Raitt, ...

east tx skier
11-15-2004, 10:41 AM
I have seen Rush many times and they are always very professional! They never rip off their fans!! But the list of bands above that were on A&E are all pros.

I saw Rush when I was in high school, and felt ripped off. Probably among the worst shows I've seen. And this is when I was really into them. It was very mechanical. Probably just a bad night or whatever, but that's the way it went and I haven't felt any desire to listen to them since then.

dmac
11-15-2004, 10:57 AM
I saw them in June. Another great show. How did you like their tribute to the bands they grew up listening to? Summertime Blues and Crossroads absolutely ROCKED! :headbang:
I thought it was excellent, especially since I grew up listening to those tunes too. Their show in Rio is on DVD, available at their website. I don't have it yet but I have heard it is outstanding.

JimN
11-15-2004, 11:28 AM
When they did the intro to Summertime Blues, I was amazed because it was the Who/Blue Cheer version. I thought I was the only one who likes that version.

Thrall
11-15-2004, 12:57 PM
Now I could kick myself for not giong to see Rush this summer. I was busy that weekend and figured they would probably be "over the hill" by now. Best concerts ever, RUSH is right at the top of the list. Their Presto tour back in ? '89-90 was awesome, as was Roll the Bones a couple years later.

dmac
11-15-2004, 01:17 PM
Those two shows were excellent. Although I enjoyed it I think that the Counterparts show was the weakest. R 30 without question was the strongest.

Get "Rush in Rio", that should help.

Maristar210
09-08-2007, 12:02 AM
Look at the OLD SCHOOLERS in this thread.

This is when I was a lurker

BriEOD
09-08-2007, 08:32 AM
Yeah, I saw 'Knoxes' and thought, wow I haven't seen that guy on here in ages. I remember he and MarkP got into a classic war of words in 2004.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
09-08-2007, 09:40 AM
Look at the OLD SCHOOLERS in this thread.

This is when I was a lurker
To me,YOUR Old school! 8p

Ric
09-09-2007, 10:41 AM
Yeah, I saw 'Knoxes' and thought, wow I haven't seen that guy on here in ages. I remember he and MarkP got into a classic war of words in 2004. I don't get any credit for some battles with knoxes?

:rant:

BriEOD
09-09-2007, 10:55 AM
I don't get any credit for some battles with knoxes?

:rant:
Were you even around back then? I remember getting engaged on this site in summer 2001. The people I recall also being around were: Doug, Andre, JimN, LeeC, NeilM, MarkP came around shortly there after.

TMCNo1
09-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Were you even around back then? I remember getting engaged on this site in summer 2001. The people I recall also being around were: Doug, Andre, JimN, LeeC, NeilM, MarkP came around shortly there after.

Lord, Ric has been here since forever, his and Steve's Social Security Numbers are 006 and 007 respectively if that tells ya anything!:rolleyes: :D

BriEOD
09-09-2007, 11:47 AM
I didn't know they issued social security numbers to annoying women in Texas.

Maristar210
09-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Well that's not entirely true. We use "Social" and "numbers". The physical is the numbers and the emotional represents the social....

What did I just say?

BriEOD
09-09-2007, 12:51 PM
What did I just say?
That is typically the reaction I have to all of your postings.

Ric
09-10-2007, 09:01 AM
Were you even around back then? I remember getting engaged on this site in summer 2001. The people I recall also being around were: Doug, Andre, JimN, LeeC, NeilM, MarkP came around shortly there after. I don't remember my join date, nor do I have any polaroids or anything like that but I remember knoxes and fitzgerald slightly not agreeing with my politics or economics ;)

RK@UST
09-10-2007, 10:04 AM
This guy never stops being great! Joe Satriani.
We met him a couple of weeks ago in a local music store for a mingle and signing session!
We went to this show at the House of Blues Chicago that same night and it was the best!
Keep in mind, pic phone. Whoops, I don't think taking pics is allowed at the show! :D
You are right.
I started a thread about him a couple of weeks ago.
Search and check it out Some interesting replies. I picked up some other great guitarist from it.