PDA

View Full Version : Ski binding screw inserts

shepherd
08-14-2006, 11:57 PM
I have an old KD 7000 (1999 vintage) and the screws that mount the bindings are rusted in place. The only way I could get the bindings off was to unscrew the inserts (with screw still stuck in them) from out of the ski. I still can't get the screws out of the inserts.

Question: Is there a source for replacement inserts that I can screw back into the ski? I figure I'd also have to glue them in place with epoxy or something after I screw them back in. If inserts are available, any recommendation on the best adhesive I should use?

Thanks.

rodltg2
08-15-2006, 12:03 AM
first of all , you should get a new stick. you will be surprised how much better they have gotten.

im curious to know how you got the inserts out with the bindings still on.

PendO
08-15-2006, 12:05 AM
you should be able to find inserts at a hardware store, I have had to replace inserts like that on different items

PendO
08-15-2006, 12:06 AM

shepherd
08-15-2006, 12:12 AM
first of all , you should get a new stick. you will be surprised how much better they have gotten.

Yeah, I noticed :rolleyes:

The KD is still a good ski, thought maybe I could sell it for a few bucks, but not if I can't put it back together safely...

MarkP
08-15-2006, 09:42 AM
Last time I was faced with this problem I used “brass wood insert nuts” , # 8-32, http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/659.html found at Home Depot. After you have them threaded in correctly just back them out and juice the sides with a little JB weld. Then re-install. You should be good to go..

Hoosier Bob
08-15-2006, 09:54 AM
Same here, brass inserts from lowes. Working fine so far.

ski36short
08-15-2006, 01:07 PM
Paul Jager sells them for installing Fluid Motion bindings - I've used them on about half a dozen skis. Just drill the hole, screw them in dry to tap the hole, then re-install them with some epoxy and it's good as new. www.fluidmotionsports.com - follow the Fin & Blocks/Hardware link. They're stainless but not cheap.

PS, I second Rod. I was held back by a 1999 KD7000 for a couple years.

88 PS190
08-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Easier to use a self tapping screw first it takes quite a bit of effort to drive the inserts in when you're going to be doing 10 of them.

shepherd
08-24-2006, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. I got the 8-32 brass wood inserts from Lowes, some brass 8-32 machine screws, and some JB Weld. Easy fix. Waitin' for the adhesive to cure and I may try the ski out tomorrow night.

André
08-25-2006, 07:57 AM
Wonder how the screws rusted as they are stainless steel???

shepherd
08-25-2006, 10:13 AM
Wonder how the screws rusted as they are stainless steel???

Nope, don't think so since they were covered with rust. I used the ski a couple times in saltwater but rinsed it off with a hose after each use. I guess that wasn't enough. The ski is pretty old too and I never removed the screws before.

JimN
08-25-2006, 10:47 AM
Shepard- use stainless screws. The brass ones aren't as strong as stainless. Stainless inserts are available from the ski manufacturers, too. This would be in case the brass ones don't hold up.

Yes, stainless will rust- it still has steel in it. Different types have more or less of the other metals in it that make it corrode less.

Also, when you tighten the brass screws- if you hear it make a slight squeaking sound, take it out and use a different one. The squeak is the screw failing. For the small cost, I would use stainless- better than having the screws fail while you're using the ski.