PDA

View Full Version : Brakes - think they are burning up?

normanpoon
08-14-2006, 07:07 PM
This past weekend I noticed that my brakes had a funny smell and that the front brakes on my tandem trailer were very hot, back ones were warm. I only drove maybe 2 miles at the most from water to storage. I have noticed sometimes that it seems like my car cant pull the boat or is stugglling.

My question is how do I manually dis-engage the brakes, because I dont want to burn up the brakes, taking into the shop, it is a really far journey.

thanks

Norm

erkoehler
08-14-2006, 07:08 PM
You can't really disengage them, and odds are that you have a caliper that is stuck.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-14-2006, 11:49 PM
As seen in others posts.....:rolleyes:

Remove caliper, remove pads, compress piston into said caliper SLOWLY (with master cover removed), insert 2X4 (wood), reinstall master cover, depress tongue for brake application, this will squeeze the piston on 2X4 (KEEP FINGERS CLEAR!!!), then tape or bungee 2X4 to caliper in said position, and then tape or bungee the caliper/2X4 assembly to the trailer to keep it from dragging.
This is NOT suggested to so while towing with boat loaded, but it would get you to the dealer for the proper caliper replacement project.