PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires

cincix10
08-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Anyone seen this on their newer trailer tires? This is off of my '03 MC single axle trailer - boat is an X10. I trailer quite a bit, but, probably have less than 10k miles on the trailer.

Any thoughts on the cause? Overinflate, underinflate, etc?

trickskier
08-14-2006, 09:50 AM
That's sidewall seperation, I had happen to me as well. The tires were about 3 years old when it happened. The dealer said he thought it was caused by hitting submerged objects at the ramp.

I believe they're just a cheap tire. They can only be used on trailers not an automobile....

WilliM1940
08-14-2006, 10:03 AM
Four popular beliefs:

1. Underiflation causing excessive heat in the sidewall due to constant flexing under load. Check constantly.

2. Misalignment of multiple tire arrangements, hard to believe on a single axle trailer, but tandem for sure a potential problem

3. Were your trailer tires dynamically balanced? Don't see weights in this view. Some places will not balance a trailer tire without special request, can't figure out why.

4. Cheap tires. This is possible, but I think the upper problems are more likely.

TMCNo1
08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
This type of seperation frequently comes from underinflation and dropping the trailer off the side of the roadbed while trailering, cutting corners too sharp and climbing up on curbs. It damages and breaks down the sidewall and sometimes will even break the belts under the tread. It will happen more often on the right side tire/tires closest to the ditch, which gets more abuse than the left side that is most always on the asphalt. The tire shown is a Goodyear Marathon, which according to some, is the best trailer tire on the market, yet it happens to the best.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-14-2006, 12:34 PM
EXACT thing happened on our former '02 X10 S/A trailer! Something I watch for constantly now. Probably some of those hard hits on 75N and 75S b/w Dry Ridge, KY and Georgetown, KY!

atlfootr
08-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Anyone seen this on their newer trailer tires?Must'a been a Carlcrap tire, go GOODYEAR MARATHON :steering:

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Must'a been a Carlcrap tire, go GOODYEAR MARATHON :steering:

Actually, when it happened to me it was a Goodyear Marathon...as is the one in the picture above.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Hey all,
I just shared this info with cinciX10 that was passed along to me by a CC dawg. It has some good info...

http://www.goodyear.com/rv/pdf/marathon_gen_info_032806.pdf

"Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph, it is necessary to increase cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the load. Do not exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel. If the max pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph."

3event
08-14-2006, 02:44 PM
That's good info. If Goodyear issued a service bulletin, does that suggest that there have been incidents of tire damage that they attribute to "excessive" speed? What is the normal cold rated PSI for these things anyway?

WTRSK1R
08-14-2006, 03:07 PM
Max Cold PSI for these tires is 65 PSI. I am not sure if there is any other recomendation in the MC manual, but I have always kept my trailer tires at or near the max rated pressure.

The one interesting thing in the photo above is the seperation is on the interior sidewall of the tire. So it did not come from hitting curbs since that would be on the outside sidewall. It could have come from drop offs at the launch though. I know of a few that have big dips at the end of the ramp, and you are forced to go up and down the bump to get the trailer deep enough to launch and load.

P-hat_in_Cincy
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
That's good info. If Goodyear issued a service bulletin, does that suggest that there have been incidents of tire damage that they attribute to "excessive" speed? What is the normal cold rated PSI for these things anyway?

I'm not sure if it's suggesting anything, or not. Please note that the bulletin does say to follow the information on your (trailer) placard, but...

According to my '04 205V S/A trailer...65psi COLD.

My 'bubble' happened on the inside wall too....just like cinciX10's picture. The only thing I could attribute it to, I mentioned above...there are some rough stretches on 75N & S in north/central KY (on the way to Norris or Cumberland). I've learned to be a left lane driver in those areas. :o

trickskier
08-14-2006, 04:10 PM
The one interesting thing in the photo above is the seperation is on the interior sidewall of the tire. So it did not come from hitting curbs since that would be on the outside sidewall. It could have come from drop offs at the launch though. I know of a few that have big dips at the end of the ramp, and you are forced to go up and down the bump to get the trailer deep enough to launch and load.[/QUOTE]

Now that you mention it, both of my tires had seperations on the inside. They both failed within a month of each other. I always ran 50Cold PSI. That was on my 98 single axle trailer.

I have an 06 tandem axle trailer now and the sticker say's to inflate to 50 Cold PSI. I know what the bulletin say's but with the temperatures we get in FL I would be afraid to run 65 Cold PSI. By the time they heat up they would probably be at 70 PSI or higher. A little too HIGH for me on a 14 inch tire.

WTRSK1R
08-14-2006, 05:05 PM
My single axel trailer came with 15 inch wheels and the tires are marked 65 PSI cold. I can say this with a high degree of confidence since I just looked at them last night and filled them in prep for a 4.5 hour drive this upcoming weekend. Maybe the dual axel trailers are a smaller tire. Or maybe it is just a factor of the age of the trailer. My 1992 had 14 inch wheels on it, but my 2004 has 15 inch. Both are single axel.

Steve

trickskier
08-14-2006, 08:29 PM
My single axel trailer came with 15 inch wheels and the tires are marked 65 PSI cold. I can say this with a high degree of confidence since I just looked at them last night and filled them in prep for a 4.5 hour drive this upcoming weekend. Maybe the dual axel trailers are a smaller tire. Or maybe it is just a factor of the age of the trailer. My 1992 had 14 inch wheels on it, but my 2004 has 15 inch. Both are single axel.

Steve

I don't know the exact year, but sometime around 03 or 04 MC decided to put 15 inch tires on single axle trailers and keep 14 inch on tandem axle trailers. If I had 15 inch tires my MC would not fit in the garage. It just barely clears the garage door now.

floridamastercraft
08-14-2006, 08:46 PM
wow how high is your garage door it just fits in

trickskier
08-14-2006, 09:10 PM
7 Feet....and notice the tower is laying in the engine compartment.

weskix4
08-17-2006, 09:53 AM
I think Goodyear has a problem and they know it. I have the Marathon tires on my trailer. I purchased the boat from a TMC member who had changed the tires last fall (three new tires). I lost two of the three on my vacation within 100 miles of each other. Both tires experienced belt seperation. Lucky for me I had taken the time to get the spare replaced so I was able to make it home. Now I have a little more ammo to see if Goodyear will step up and do the right thing. I know the tires were at proper psi...I checked them. Can you say Carlisle trailer tires?

WilliM1940
08-17-2006, 10:06 AM
Whoa is this interesting info. I bought Carlisle quickly when my old Marathons split, and have been looking in the rear views ever since at these tires going down the road, waiting for them to blow, based on other reports.

trickskier
08-17-2006, 09:33 PM
Both of mine seperated on the inside near the crown just like the one pictured at the beginning of this thread.

'02xrider
08-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Seems like there may be a problem with the Goodyear marathons? I had a tread seperation on one installed on a tandem. Total seperation at 60. I check the tire pressures before every trip, no matter how far...

jimmer2880
08-18-2006, 07:30 AM
Seems like there may be a problem with the Goodyear marathons? I had a tread seperation on one installed on a tandem. Total seperation at 60. I check the tire pressures before every trip, no matter how far...

My marathon I just pulled off (still needs to be replaced) was starting to seperate. But - that was from a '95, so it doesn't owe me anything.

MC needs to warranty my trailer tire. I can't believe it doesn't cover 11 year old tires :rant:

kidding - of course :uglyhamme

sfitzgerald351
08-20-2006, 09:45 PM
I had 3 Carlisles totally blow out on me so I went with the Goodyears because having a tire go on a single axle trailer at 65 mph is not something I ever want to do again (after having it happen 3 times!). I'm now going to keep a close eye on my Goodyears. If you go to an actual Goodyear store you can harass them a bit and get them to figure out how to put road hazard on trailer tires. It took the guy at the store a bit of time to figure out how to do it, but I'm now happy I have it. I think I posted the SKU for the trailer hazard in another post about 2 years ago if someone needs it. I'd repost but I'm 2000 miles away from my boat for the next 5 months.

Ric
08-21-2006, 09:38 AM
I had 3 Carlisles totally blow out on me so I went with the Goodyears because having a tire go on a single axle trailer at 65 mph is not something I ever want to do again (after having it happen 3 times!). I'm now going to keep a close eye on my Goodyears. If you go to an actual Goodyear store you can harass them a bit and get them to figure out how to put road hazard on trailer tires. It took the guy at the store a bit of time to figure out how to do it, but I'm now happy I have it. I think I posted the SKU for the trailer hazard in another post about 2 years ago if someone needs it. I'd repost but I'm 2000 miles away from my boat for the next 5 months. FITZ!! Good to see you here! 2000 mi from the boat in summer is not fun:(
Economy is Rockin' though8p

captkidd
08-21-2006, 03:17 PM
My guess is that they are more likely to separate on the inside because the inside tends to bear more weight. I had to have a tire repaired last week (screw) and the inside was worn much more than the outside (tandem axle trailer), which seems to indicate that it was bearing more weight on the inside. I'm sure that it is also rougher on the inside of the tire when you drop it off the edge of the road. I'm now considering having all my tires rotated to put the inside on the outside. Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

I had really bad tread separation problems with the Goodyear Wranglers that came as OEM on my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup. I think they only lasted about 19K miles. It may be a Goodyear problem, but I still think the Marathons are the best trailer tires you can buy.

TMCNo1
08-21-2006, 03:51 PM
My guess is that they are more likely to separate on the inside because the inside tends to bear more weight. I had to have a tire repaired last week (screw) and the inside was worn much more than the outside (tandem axle trailer), which seems to indicate that it was bearing more weight on the inside. I'm sure that it is also rougher on the inside of the tire when you drop it off the edge of the road. I'm now considering having all my tires rotated to put the inside on the outside. Does anyone know if this is a good idea?

I had really bad tread separation problems with the Goodyear Wranglers that came as OEM on my 3/4 ton Dodge pickup. I think they only lasted about 19K miles. It may be a Goodyear problem, but I still think the Marathons are the best trailer tires you can buy.

If your tires are wearing on the inside or outside you have a bent axle and you can take it to a truck alignment shop or frame shop, where they can pull or push it back in tune with hydraulics. I had to replace the axle [bad spindles] on our '89 and the one I received was bent and I ruined 2 tires on a trip to Florida [1400 miles]. They jacked it up took measurements and I had 3/16' toe-in ea. side, 3/8" total. They chained it to the alignment platform and pulled it right into place and that was 18,082 miles ago and have had no wear issues since.