PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Switch or Sollenoid?

WVUSKI
08-13-2006, 09:46 PM
I have a 89 Tri-star 190, and as I started the boat yesterday, it acted like the starter gear was stuck in the flywheel. I then turned the key off, but the boat was still running. We unhooked the battery, and the engine finally quit. We next took the hot wire off of the starter, and touched it to the starter bolt when we needed to start the boat. It seemed to work fine like that, but not real convenient :) Seems like a switch to me, anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

jimmer2880
08-14-2006, 06:07 PM
Ignition switches on boats tend to go bad after 10 to 20 years. I'd replace that cheap part first before looking any further.

cwright
08-14-2006, 08:22 PM
Sounds like switch is not telling the solenoid to disengage to me. Since solenoid worked fine when you jumped it, I would anticipate that the problem is stemming from your switch. I'd remove and take it apart and see if there is a mechanical reason that the switch is not functioning. If I couldn't figure it out, I'd go buy a new one. I've seen them in the 14-20 dollar range at marine west. Pay attention to the number of posts. Good luck and let us all know what it turns out to be.

WVUSKI
08-15-2006, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I replaced the switch last night, but the problem still exists. Is it possible to use a solenoid from an auto parts store? Thanks!

wesgardner
08-15-2006, 10:15 AM
I've had all kinds of starting problems over the years and finally solved mine by running in a new 10 ga. wire from the large "battery" terminal on the solenoid up to the key switch and a 10 ga. wire from the "s" terminal on the key switch back to the "s" terminal on the solenoid - that fixed it...this was after many moons, a key switch and eating several solenoids due to low voltage...

I use AutoZone solenoids - $15 and can change 'em out in 10 minutes - hopefully I'll not need that skill anymore...my starter is marine

SO FWIW there you have it - mine's fixed...

cwright
08-15-2006, 10:56 AM
Wow good stuff. Light duty wiring to the switch has appeared in multiple threads. Sounds like a good mini-project. Thanks for the tip.

Monte
08-15-2006, 11:59 AM
Had that problem last week, if the starter selenoid is sticking.. it is bad.. or your battery is low and has ruined it. Napa has it... 20 bucks! wesgardner had it right 15 mins to fix.. Got one from autozone, ruined it first fire b/c bad battery. pull battery out of the boat and get it checked when you go to the parts store... they won't take back elec devices after install. Hope that helps

WVUSKI
08-15-2006, 10:43 PM
Well I'm back in business! The new solenoid from NAPA did the trick. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

wesgardner
08-16-2006, 10:22 AM
If you continue to eat solenoids, you'll need to do step #2 - replace wiring

Good luck

WVUSKI
08-16-2006, 10:32 AM
If you continue to eat solenoids, you'll need to do step #2 - replace wiring

Good luck

Thanks for the tip. I'm crossing my fingers for now, but will definitely do that if this happens again.