PDA

View Full Version : HO Shock sizing mystery...

Trip
08-13-2006, 11:07 AM
I found an HO Mach 1 that looks promising and it comes with their Shock boot, but I just don't know whether to go Standard or Extra Large on the Shock boot because standard is size 5-13 and XL is 10-15.5, so they both overlap my foot (11/11.5) just fine. But I have a feeling going withone or the other could make all the difference. Anyone with a size normal men's size 10-12 foot with experience in an HO Shock care to comment? Thanks a ton! ~ Trip

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Well, that sure is some odd sizing. I would GUESS the standard would be fine, but you can confirm that with a call to HO, or to an HO dealer.

Trip
08-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Thanks UMP. I'll give them a call, but in the meantime if anyone else knows more feel free to chime in...

Tom023
08-13-2006, 02:08 PM
I can't help you with that specific binding but having an 11.5 myself, I find that I frequently have the same problem you do in being between two sizes, or size ranges. What I have found through trial and error is that I get the best fit with the size that 11.5 is closest to the middle; or going with the smaller size and making it bigger, rather than the larger size and having to crank it down to make it smaller. Using that logic, I would choose the standard size rather than the XL, because 11 is too close to the low end of the 10-15 range.

Trip
08-13-2006, 03:43 PM
Thanks for your that, Tom; I've been thinking the same thing. I just want to get it right, as returning and replacing the binding for another size would be a pain in the @ss.

pilot02
08-13-2006, 03:52 PM
I'm not familiar with the "Shock" but considering the size range I'm guessing it's an adjustable instead of a standard plate. If you're the only person that will be skiing on this ski, I'd highly recommend going with a better plate binding that would fit better. I also disagree with the one of the poster's above in that it really depends on you and your foot. I wear a 10.5 - 11 and am extremely uncomfortable in a "Large" since I have a wide foot. Even XL's depending on the binding don't fit well (HO Phantom for Ex.) I'd suggest finding a ski shop and test fitting a binding before buying. If that's not an option, check the return policy from the place you purchase and make it clear when you purchase that you want to make sure the binding fit's well. I think most mail order co's will accommodate that request. The last thing you want is a binding that doesn't support you well or is uncomfortable.

rcnjson
08-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I have a Mach 1 with the standard shock binding. I wear a 13 and it is a little tough to get on, but it feels really good once my foot is in. I like the range of sizes that the standard binding fits. Really anyone in the boat can use it. I have been pretty happy with the ski too. This is my first "real" ski, I had been using half of a combo set before this. I don't plan on setting any records with it, but it is a really nice step up from the old combo ski.
k

Trip
08-14-2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks pilot for the advice and rcnjson for sharing your experience with the actual setup! :)