PDA

View Full Version : Prop hitting anode

Jesus_Freak
08-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Hello all. I will try to make the long version short. I have been experimenting with props and other items trying to make an old clunky, crusty, dumpy sterndriver act like a ski boat. OK, OK, I know, I know. My 1978 invader will never be able to be used in the same sentence (except for now) with a mastercraft. BUT! I know some of you either have kept one of your old dumps, or you remember the countless hours trying to make them work long enough to ski.

Anyway, I desperately need help. Picture this...floating at the lake... changing the prop under water...trying to get ready to ski the course (that I just put in) with my BRAND NEW stainless prop. I slide it on the shaft and confirm all washers, etc. are in proper sequence. Bam! The prop smacks the sacrificial anode. The length of the hub, along with blade rake, makes this thing stick way out the front. I have to take it off and go back to my other prop (which is actually on loan from an MC dealer).

One obvious solution is to file down the back of the tab until the prop passes. My fear is that the prop was never really designed for my drive (vibrations, stress, bending moment,etc.). So if I can make it work, SHOULD I? Any experience? Any advice? (besides for me to buy a real boat)

Thank you!

JimN
08-12-2006, 12:42 AM
You probably have the regular trim tab which also serves as an anode. If this is a Mercury or Mercruiser, there's a performance anode available that won't be in the way of the prop.

Jesus_Freak
08-12-2006, 12:47 AM
Thank you! It is a mercruiser. This "performance" anode is better than a mangled/filed stock unit in what way? Surface area? Style?

H20skeefreek
08-12-2006, 08:15 AM
Jesus Freak,

The Perf. Anode just starts back farther and extends out aft of the prop, it works the same just fits larger props. Where in TN are you? There are West Marine stores in both Nashville and Knoxville where you can get these. Any Merc. dealer would have them too.

Jesus_Freak
08-14-2006, 09:29 AM
Thanks for your help. All worked well. I appreciate your time.