PDA

View Full Version : Water outboard the stringers?

peterb
08-11-2006, 12:42 AM
I have an 86 mastercraft. If I understand the construction correctly, there are two stringers that run front to back that basically make up the walls for the "bilge" and mounts for the engine. The pump is also mounted in front of the pylon between the stringers.

Is there a possibility for water to get on the outside of the stringers? I can't see away for it to happen, and the outside panels of the flooring don't look removeable but....

I have a transom mount depth guage mounted years ago under the swim platform. It is basically just below the bracket for the platform and slightly inside it. It would place it outboard of the driver side stringer.

I removed the mount to replace it and for whatever reason, used a long screw when it was originally installed. When I removed it, I got a steady stream of water out the hole for about a minute... that was odd.

Then, someone said the other day, "boy you seem to be riding low in the bow". Without much under the deck except for a couple vests, this peaked my interest and I wonder if I had some unexplained water somewhere.

If water gets in an area outside the stringers (if there is such an area), how does it get out?

SKI*MC
08-11-2006, 12:51 AM
thats strange... i always thought that the stringers went from the bilge to the outside... like this..

peterb
08-11-2006, 01:10 AM
Wow, that's a pretty impressive picture... although I would have preferred the boat BEFORE the band saw. But that makes more sense now....hmmm, wonder where the water came from then.

TRBenj
08-13-2006, 05:42 PM
Its completely possible for there to be a leak in your floor- most likely a crack at a 90 degree joint or a screw hole. If water gets under the floor, the foam would probably have absorbed it- I dont think your boat is new enough to have used closed-cell foam. If its holding water, that would explain why your bow sits low in the water due to the extra weight, and would also explain why water ran out when you gave it a path to escape from.

Brent
08-13-2006, 06:51 PM
How do they replace stringers? Do they remove the transom & extract the old stringers & re-install new?:confused:

TRBenj
08-14-2006, 06:04 AM
To replace a stringer, you need to get access from the top. You need to remove the floor and any foam that is in your way. Any saturated foam needs to be taken out. Im not familiar with the process for replacing a fiberglass stringer, as Ive only replaced wood. I can tell you that you dont want to be cutting apart the transom though!

I cut out the rotten part of the wooden stringer, glassed a new one down to the hull, refilled with foam and glassed over the floor.

michael freeman
08-14-2006, 07:02 AM
To replace a stringer, you need to get access from the top. You need to remove the floor and any foam that is in your way. Any saturated foam needs to be taken out. Im not familiar with the process for replacing a fiberglass stringer, as Ive only replaced wood. I can tell you that you dont want to be cutting apart the transom though!

I cut out the rotten part of the wooden stringer, glassed a new one down to the hull, refilled with foam and glassed over the floor.

I would think you also need to take care in maintaining the shape of the outer hull as you cut out these structural elements. It would really suck to do all that work and find out that the shape of the hull was changed.

Just a thought.

TRBenj
08-14-2006, 11:13 AM
I would think you also need to take care in maintaining the shape of the outer hull as you cut out these structural elements. It would really suck to do all that work and find out that the shape of the hull was changed.

Just a thought.

This is a good point. If youre going to be doing major stringer repair, it is important to give the hull adequate support. Luckily, I only had to repair 1 stringer, and it was the smaller floor support- not an engine support. Having a nice 4-bunk trailer made it a non-issue.

ski_king
08-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Somebody may have already this....

Water probobly leaked thru the screws that held on your depth finder mount and the speedometer pickup screws, swimplatform mounts, etc, may have leaked as well if not sealed properly.

The boat has a inner liner and the water may be trapped between the linner and the hull.

Somebody else on here had a problem with saturated foam that was causing the floor to bulge and may have had a simular problem.