PDA

View Full Version : transmission slipping, maybe?

Hunterb
08-10-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi everyone,

I've been experiencing a strange 'slipping' of the tranny lately. It's happened a couple of times while making a hard right turn in a slalom course turn-around. It has only happened when turning right and feels similar to cavitation. Unfortunately it has only happenend with someone else driving so I can't say exactly what it feels like. I do know that from the end of the rope I hear the motor rev and the pull momentarily stops. It seems that cavitation is unlikely with an inboard, but I could be wrong about that. I also thought that if the tranny was low on fluid it would slip under the load of pulling a skier out, which it doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas what to check, other than the tranny fluid level?

Thanks in advance if you have a suggestion.

Bruce

Dan K
08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
I would first check your fluid level and make sure it is right on.
I had a similar experience earlier in the year when fluid was low due to a leak. Also smell and inspect the fluid for signs of burning, this would indicate time for a rebuild.

Hunterb
08-11-2006, 08:03 PM
Problem solved, I think. The fluid level was down a bit. That may be my fault as I may not have filled it correctly at the start of the summer. There is no sign of oil in the bilge and no sign of burnt fluid. I topped up the fluid and it worked fine this morning.

Hopefully that solves it.

Thanks

Bruce