PDA

View Full Version : Live on Lake/water?

gene dobies
11-11-2004, 01:38 PM
Just curious how many people actually live on a body of water and therefore don't have to trailer their boat. I live on a Lake and have a boat lift for my boat. It's the greatest living year around, yes, even in the winter. Take walks on the ice, ice skate, all that good stuff, used to have a snowmobile too.

Dan K
11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
I don't "live" on a lake but have a cottage that we weekend to. I don't have lift but would really like to get one. I keep the boat docked all summer and really haven't had a problem, just feel a lift would give me more peace of mind.

G-man
11-11-2004, 02:04 PM
I don't live on a lake but my boat does. I did build a two story dock with lift. Someday I may build on the lot but the college kids of mine keep needing money. In the winter I'll go out and run the boat about three-four weeks to gas flowing and the oil moving around. I have petcocks on most of the fittings so draining only takes about five minutes.

gene dobies
11-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Wow George. That two story dock sounds cool, love to see some pics.

Stritt
11-11-2004, 02:33 PM
I live on a lake.......have a lift.....but still keep the boat in the garage ;)

AirJunky
11-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Live about a block away from the lake, shared waterfront, with 53 other owners. Have our own boat slip, ramp, and 300' of beachfront. We bought the boat to use so it lives 8 months of the year on the water. Takes all the work out of it. Come home from work, grab the gear & hit the water!
It's the only way to go!

ski_king
11-11-2004, 03:18 PM
I do not live on the water, but my family has leased the same river front lot for 35 years. Since I cannot have a permanent structure there, I have a travel trailer that spends 6 months of the year there. I keep the boat there on the trailer when not in use. I have my own ramp, so it only takes about 5 minutes to dump it in.

I would love to have a lift on my dock, but I would feel uneasy with it there when I am at home, 45 minutes away.

Since I am only 45 minutes away, I usually get to ski at least 2 weekday evenings plus the weekends during a typical summer. (This was not a typical summer…)

ski36short
11-11-2004, 03:44 PM
I live on a lake and keep my boat in the back yard on a lift but rarely ski there. The lake is such a zoo that skiing is nearly impossible but I enjoy everything else about it. This year I joined a club that is a little ways from home but worth every penny and minute in the car to ski there - except maybe the Malibu club boat!

That said I would love to ski off my own dock but that's not going to happen any time soon.

Rockman
11-11-2004, 06:36 PM
We don't live on a lake either but head up North to my parents summer home. The boat comes out as soon as the ice breaks and then is garaged again until May 1st. Then up on the lift until Halloween. We have ski hours on our lake :rant: but the lake next to ours has longer hours than we do. So we sometimes pull the boat out and travel the 2 blocks to the next lake for some added time.

Halloween until Dec 1st, the boat is back in the garage and only comes out for the weekends we are up there. Easy to drain and not have to worry about freezing since we have the outboard.

Wish the cottage was closer though...2002 Silverado 2500HD with 76k on it already :eek3: . Still haven't gotten brakes on it. All highway driving.

mitch
11-11-2004, 07:30 PM
Have a lake home, boat is in the water May-Oct. I use whips, which have been awesome. Would love a lift. Wife is a teacher and her and the kids are up there for the summers. I bum pulls locally during the week and hit the lake house Fri thru Mon. It's 900 acres.

sfitzgerald351
11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Mitch,

We're definitely going to have to trade pulls next year since I should be back in beantown. I'll meet you for the urban skiing and will show you what a 454 can do and you can pull with your boat on the weekends! :D Wait, did I just invite myself over? Why thank you! :uglyhamme

André
11-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Gene
I live on a lake and enjoy every season of it like you!The boat is on a lift and i can't imagine keeping it tie to the dock with all the weekend traffic!It's a 3 minute cruise to the course in a secluded bay.It's a totally different thing then having to tow the boat and launch everytime you want to go for a set and then head back home again.
I did that for 10 years and wanted to ski everyday of the summer,so i moved from Montreal to the country.
A view from my bedroom... :)

André
11-11-2004, 07:42 PM
Mitch
Is your lake 900 acres or ...your land???
I was close to NH border line yesterday and watching the map,you're not far from me.If your ever in the area,Let me know!

Mag_Red
11-11-2004, 08:03 PM
:eek: Andre..........I'd trade "Boat Mate" for a place like that! :worthy:

Ops :uglyhamme Guess I'll have to come up with somethng else to trade :D

VTJC
11-11-2004, 08:20 PM
I have a small third of an acre lot third back from the water on this (http://terraserver-usa.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=13&x=407&y=3071&z=18&w=1) small lake called Lake Iroquois in North Western VT. Fortunately the land owner on the lake is nice enough to let me have a lift. I just upgraded to one this fall that has a cover! The lift is probably worth more the single wide trailer from the 50’s on the lot. I guess I have my priorities in order! Jamie

erkoehler
11-12-2004, 02:49 AM
Grandpa has a five cabins on a nice small lake in Northern Wisconsin. Keep the boat tied to the dock there. Virtually no other traffic. Small jewish camp that has two inboard boats along with one other house that skis on a regular basis. That is basically all the traffic there is. Unfortunately, it is not big enough/there to many people against putting in a course.

Also, in the winter I can SNOWMOBILE right from the door. Trail is maybe 50ft from the main house.

bfinley
11-12-2004, 07:38 AM
Erkoehler, what lake in Wisconsin are you talking about?? I'm looking for a place up North and not sure where I want it to be??

Brandon

mitch
11-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Scott, No prob! Andre Sounds good, you never know! The lake is 900 acres, and the lot is 6 acres.

Leroy
11-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Been looking at and reading these with envy! Great pix André!

I shop for lake lots and houses every week! My dream someday.

I am on an Indiana pond. Useful only for controlling water so we do not flood.

bcampbe7
11-12-2004, 10:30 AM
Don't live on the water. I am about 7 miles from 2 different ramps. It would be great to have a lake house, but man there pricey. The best deal I have found is 4 acres (no house) for $180K! A "cheap" house is $250K-$275K. Call me cheap but I think I would rather buy 10 acres, build a house, and drive to the lake. I keep thinking that the prices will plateau but they just keep going up. Taxes will kill ya also...

G-man
11-12-2004, 10:39 AM
Gene

Here's a shot of the dock. It's great the kids go up top with the radio and my wife and I have the shade to sit in and watch skiers. The hardest part about building a dock like this is the roof between the boat and upper deck. There is a 3 1/2 inch fall side to side so the rain goes to the side and not in the boat.

sfitzgerald351
11-12-2004, 11:47 AM
A "cheap" house is $250K-$275K.

Wow.... I guess living in Boston has screwed up my idea of $$$. You can't buy anything better than a tiny 2 bedroom condo for $275k around here. Most of my friends have started to buy houses and I think the cheapest one so far was $460,000. Some starter home! I've been looking up north in Maine / NH for lakefront property figuring I'd buy the property now, put a dock in and build a house later. But the property is still $300k and up for anything decent. I'm toying with the idea of learning to fly, buying a seaplane, and then buying lakefront property way the heck in the interior of Maine and building there. I figure if you can't drive there easily the land will be cheap enough that I can get the house, land and plane for less!

bcampbe7
11-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Maybe living down South is cheap and I just don't know it... Keep in mind, I live in a pretty rural area. The closest "big" city is about 75 miles away. I guess my point is that living on the lake here will triple the cost of the house. For instance a 3-4 bedroom, two story brick house in town would be around $200K-$250K. On the lake that same house is $550-$600K+. Definitely out of my price range.

Ric
11-12-2004, 01:05 PM
Looks great George, at first I thought you were at santa fe til I saw the url at the bottom!

gene dobies
11-12-2004, 02:58 PM
George, that is beautiful. Great job. I'm impressed. The two story dock is the coolest.

G-man
11-12-2004, 03:30 PM
Thanks Gene,

it actually looks better when the air temp and water temp are warmer than today. air 49* water in the 50's go ahead and say it - yes I'm a wimp

dmac
11-12-2004, 03:49 PM
We found a reasonably affordable lake home, not in the main body of the lake but on a canal feeding into the lake. Like George, there are 2 story boathouses on this lake and many have architechture that is consistent with the home. My boathouse is in the background of the boat pics in my gallery. I am trying to see if I can get it to here from there. Anyway, the party deck includes an outdoor fireplace for those cooler evenings. I had a cradle built and replaced the strap lift system after buying the MariStar.

dmac
11-12-2004, 04:01 PM
The Boathouse

André
11-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Wow! I knew houses were more expensive in the States but not that much.True that here too ,the lake front houses are selling with about 10 % increase each year.We bought our house 3 years ago ,it needed a bit of finishing but it had brand new entire foundations,brand new Ecoflo sceptic installation,new doors and windows all of them thermal,new central heating system with air exchanger and heat recuperator,house is 40 x 37,110 feet on the lake.About 14 000 sq. ft. lot
We paid 93 000 $ CDN,about70 K US.
No more lots for sell on the lake,only old cottages for more of what they really worth.
Took us 3 months to get the house.My house is worth about 175 000 CDN now 3 years later.
Oh yes...It was a divorcing couple!

erkoehler
11-12-2004, 07:30 PM
Erkoehler, what lake in Wisconsin are you talking about?? I'm looking for a place up North and not sure where I want it to be??

Brandon

I am on Finley lake, it is a small (105 acres, i think) just big enough to be an all sports lake. Only this that sucks is you can't ski past 6pm.

lakes Rick
11-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Wow! I knew houses were more expensive in the States but not that much.True that here too ,the lake front houses are selling with about 10 % increase each year.We bought our house 3 years ago ,it needed a bit of finishing but it had brand new entire foundations,brand new Ecoflo sceptic installation,new doors and windows all of them thermal,new central heating system with air exchanger and heat recuperator,house is 40 x 37,110 feet on the lake.About 14 000 sq. ft. lot
We paid 93 000 $ CDN,about70 K US.
No more lots for sell on the lake,only old cottages for more of what they really worth.
Took us 3 months to get the house.My house is worth about 175 000 CDN now 3 years later.
Oh yes...It was a divorcing couple!

Getting married is a real good way to lose a neat home on the lake or actually a real neat home ANYWHERE... Move em in and move em out.

BriEOD
11-14-2004, 08:30 AM
Getting married is a real good way to lose a neat home on the lake or actually a real neat home ANYWHERE... Move em in and move em out.

Rick you're starting to remind of Vince Vaughn in Old School, aka "Beanie." At Will Ferrel's character's wedding, Frank "The Tank" Ricard, "get out now while you're still single." :D

lakes Rick
11-14-2004, 11:07 AM
Rick you're starting to remind of Vince Vaughn in Old School, aka "Beanie." At Will Ferrel's character's wedding, Frank "The Tank" Ricard, "get out now while you're still single." :D

Actually I have been told more like "Psycho" from "Batchelor Party"..

BriEOD
11-14-2004, 01:30 PM
I think I'll work on getting you your own episode on Dr. Phil: move em' in, move em' out. :uglyhamme

TalleyHo
11-14-2004, 02:15 PM
George has a nice spread. I saw the houses and docks in that ski neighborhood when the local wakeboarding club (dallaswakeboarding.com - shameless plug) had a tourney there. I can't imagine living in a place like that. I'd settle for just living in the boat house! That is one HOA that I wouldn't mind paying dues to!

It was quite interesting tho, the water had a really wierd blue tint to it -- perhaps that's what clean water looks like :)

Dean Witmer
11-14-2004, 04:47 PM
We live on north eastern Lake Ontario and have one of two Mastercrafts in Henderson Harbor. Mine is a 25th anniversary prostar 190. A friend has a 1993 Maristar 280 with a tower. We also have one Ski Nautique on the lake but still talk to him. My boat spends the summer in a lift and the winter warm and cozy in a barn.

dmac
11-14-2004, 05:52 PM
110 feet on the lake. About 14 000 sq. ft. lot
That kind of frontage would run up in to the mid 6 figures where we are, if not more. Sweet set up you have there, except for the short season, of course! :headbang:

André
11-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Talleyho
Maybe it was some dye...I know Robert Averyt use some in his manmade lake ...To prevent the sun to grow to much weeds i think.They do that when the water is too clear,not a problem on our lake...

Dean
I didn't know MC made 28 footer in 93...

Dmac
Thanks! Skiing from May 10 th to October 15 generally.Not too bad,but would appreciate more,you're right! :)

jimmer2880
11-15-2004, 06:29 AM
George,

There is a new composite deck out that inter-locks & seals. A buddy of mine just put it on the roof of his 2 story floating dock this summer. It cost ~$2k to cover 28x24, but it's sealed!.

I don't live on the water... well - maybe. My parents started leasing the lot I'm on in 1974. I have taken over the leases. We're along the Potomac & in the flood plane, so everything is on wheels. 1980's era 50' mobile-home, shed/porch on frame of another mobile home. But, best of all, a floating lift dock. My boat is under-roof & out of water from early May through September. We usually pull the dock off the water late September because of floods, but still ski through October into November.

May through September, my wife, 19month & I spend more nights in the trailer at the River than in our house. It's interesting what happens when you're not home much. We had our share of Varmets when we moved back home this fall.

jimmer2880
11-15-2004, 06:31 AM
I have to agree with others... nothing like getting home from a very stressful day at work, head down to the boat & take a pull, or just chill.

Some day I'm going to live year round next to the water. I just need to figure out that whole lottery thing first.:rolleyes:

G-man
11-15-2004, 10:24 AM
TallyHo

The water is dyed for two reasons, one is looks, the second is the dye has a "sunscreen" in it. This is to keep algae under control. In the summer the water can warm up, and you don't want to have an alae bloom. Because the lake is built on north nexas black clay it has an excellent expansion rate and holds the water in. The clay mixed in the water helps filter out sunlight also. So basically we ski in very expensive mud.
george

phecksel
11-15-2004, 11:42 AM
Thank God for divorce :)

Miss hoyty toyty would have never lowered herself to the DUMP I bought on the lake! Three years later, it's actually pretty nice. Bought the new boat without a trailer. Boat sits in the boat house year round.

Phil

lakes Rick
11-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Thank God for divorce :)

Miss hoyty toyty would have never lowered herself to the DUMP I bought on the lake! Three years later, it's actually pretty nice. Bought the new boat without a trailer. Boat sits in the boat house year round.

Phil

Lots of "Princess's" and "Daddys Girls" out there.. Run the other way real fast.....

River Rat
11-15-2004, 03:35 PM
We live on a river, 4 acres and a 3,000 sq. ft. home, 6 years ago paid 120k for the house now its valued at 200k..... man prices are going up!! boat stays in the garage, no boat lift but we have our own boat ramp. Just back the trailer in the water go for a ride :headbang: put it back on the trailer and pull it out. Boat stays in the garage and I'm happy :D

Jerseydave
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
We don't live on the water.....yet, but anything within 2 hours drive on the water is out of reach for now.
So......we're toying with the idea of buying a houseboat or a large cruiser, rent a slip for the summer and spend weekends skiing and staying on the boat. I can find a decent boat for under $35,000. That's a far cry from $600,000 plus for a house on the water!! :eek:

AirJunky
11-15-2004, 06:37 PM
We live on a river, 4 acres and a 3,000 sq. ft. home, 6 years ago paid 120k for the house now its valued at 200k..... man prices are going up!! boat stays in the garage, no boat lift but we have our own boat ramp. Just back the trailer in the water go for a ride :headbang: put it back on the trailer and pull it out. Boat stays in the garage and I'm happy :D

Unreal. I live in a town of 5000 in WA & you don't get a 2000 sq ft track home on 1/3 acre for those prices. Waterfront would be over $600k & 4 acres on the water would be over a million!

6ballsisall
11-15-2004, 08:01 PM
I live about 2 minutes from the lake I ski on (private lake to HOA) Houses off the lake range from $200k- $500k. Lakefront homes go from $500k- 1.6m. It's crazy what they are gettin for them. Course in Colorado where I am from, that price would be double! Dang Cost of Living!!

tim
11-15-2004, 08:33 PM
We don't live on a lake, but are members of a club which is approximately 30 minutes drive. We moor our boat from April through to October. We also have a caravan at the club so we tend to spend the weekends and holidays there, as well as a midweek ski - or two. I would definitely say that towing a trailer and launching the boat everytime you want to ski takes the shine off things.
Actually living on a lake must be wonderful - unfortunately, here in the UK, the options for doing the same are very limited.

phecksel
11-16-2004, 12:15 PM
Lots of "Princess's" and "Daddys Girls" out there.. Run the other way real fast.....
New wife (I know, move em out LOL) brought two girls with her. One of which would love to be a princess. Not in my house! Funny thing, this girl is going to be absolutely gorgeous, inheireted her mom's extremely high intelligence, and in the sixth grade is kicking 8th grade boy's XC track times. If she can run next year at the same rate she ran this year, she will blow away the state record, by a huge amount! The other one is not only self sufficient, but will kick anybody's A$$ that gets in her way :)

sizzler
11-17-2004, 02:29 AM
tim.....what lake???

silk
11-18-2004, 08:22 PM
I bought a lake home in 1989 in nw wisonsin from an elderly couple for 50k. Got divorced 5 years later split the cash from the sale of that property with the x and bought another on a much nicer lake. 800+ acres, crystal clear water. I got this place just before the water property went through the roof in our area. Lucky timing thats for sure

skiboy
11-26-2004, 06:53 AM
I live here year long. The boat is in the water April till early November if I'm lucky. No lift. Ski everymorning before work, then back at it at night. Wouldn't give it up for anything. Pigeon Lake WaterSki Club.

bret
11-26-2004, 01:11 PM
My home in Heber Springs is a block off of Greers Ferry lake. Lake front is just too $$$$. My in-laws have a lake front home on Eden Isle outside of town, looking west, great sunsets. Boat is a 8 minute drive to the marina, slalom course 5 minutes from there.

Gino
11-30-2004, 01:12 PM
......I live on the Lake. Drop in anytime!