PDA

View Full Version : Fix Bow Leg Knee Drag on Offside 2-4 LFF

BuoyChaser
08-09-2006, 11:17 PM
i'm regular Left Foot Forward (LFF) and getting awful chatter on my ski on my 2, 4 buoy turns which we've finally been able to trace down to my bow leg getting in the way...

any thoughts on how to fix my natural bow-legged right knee drag on my 2, 4 buoy???difficult forcing my knees together...been trying for years...

do you have a recommendation on a strap or where to place that strap so it wouldn't affect my performance???gotta be others with the same problems!!!

my body position appears to be good, except for the knee drag prevent counter-rotation, forcing down course skiing...

i'll try to find a good picture showing this PROBLEM!!!

BuoyChaser
08-10-2006, 05:39 AM
watching some video last night, noticed that i'm "hopping" the wake and my hips are dropped around the buoy, unlike looking at Rossi & Jamie video where there hips are up and weight is over the ski around the buoy...

cwright
08-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Is your rear boot canted at an angle?

bdecker
08-10-2006, 11:40 AM
Straighten that back boot out in my opinion... Focus on keeping that right knee in on easy passes, run a bunch of them to build muscle memory before advancing.

jimmer2880
08-10-2006, 02:34 PM
I noticed a bit improvement in this area when I pivoted my boots on my ski. Hopefully your plates have that option.

beef
08-10-2006, 03:03 PM
Not saying it's not due to your knee in the water, but... Every time I've been coached on offside chatter, it seems have been caused by:

1. Dropping my shoulder into the turn. Or, not keeping my chest and reaching arm/shoulder up.
or
2. Stiff legs in the turn.

Pics or video would be great.

MYMC
08-10-2006, 03:44 PM
Could also be too much tip in the fin...I've never seen a knee in the water cause this. Your rear boot should be canted so that the toes are turned left...this will help tuck your rear knee in.
BTW, I'm LFF as well.

BuoyChaser
08-10-2006, 03:48 PM
Straighten that back boot out in my opinion... Focus on keeping that right knee in on easy passes, run a bunch of them to build muscle memory before advancing.
no canting going on, it is totally straight!!!

BuoyChaser
08-10-2006, 03:52 PM
Not saying it's not due to your knee in the water, but... Every time I've been coached on offside chatter, it seems have been caused by:

1. Dropping my shoulder into the turn. Or, not keeping my chest and reaching arm/shoulder up.
or

totally could be #1 when watching my video...will try to post...

BuoyChaser
08-10-2006, 08:48 PM

or

totally could be #1 when watching my video...will try to post...

ntidsl
08-11-2006, 06:46 AM
usually its dropping the shoulder but I can't give advice I behind you in the ball count brother....

BuoyChaser
08-11-2006, 07:19 AM
i posted a shot of me at 34-22 and 36-22 on google video, but it hasn't been "approved" yet...takes like 24hrs seems...

BuoyChaser
08-11-2006, 07:22 AM
back boot has been straigthened for awhile, since PM told me this spring...

trying to focus the right knee but in "panic" mode drops right there and grabs me every time, chatters the ski around the turn...who needs a WING when you've got a BOW LEG!!!

ntidsl
08-11-2006, 08:04 AM
my novice experience...I had a guy in the boat earlier this year to tell me to move my boot forward when my ski was chattering this spring...I didn't do it...I have been skiing since I was 8 years old...I never adjusted a thing on my ski...maybe I'm dumb but I always catered my style of skiing to my ski I guess...there are too many variables when you start messing with your fins and boots...I found if I bend my knees a little more and don't drop my shoulder and focus on the center of mass when I am skiing I don't get any chatter and more importantly I never get in that panic mode...the panic mode may be the thing getting you...just this morning I ran my smoothest 28 off 34 mph ever...what was I thinking when I skied..."wow this is fun...and smooth...man that was a nice easy gate...wow...I'm gonna run this early for every ball and I'm not even working or thinking...cool...there goes 4...hmmm...waiting for 5...sweet!"

ntidsl
08-11-2006, 08:06 AM
Lke I said though you are ahead of my ball count...I'm just sking for stress relief and excercise...this is my first year on a course since college (13 years ago) where if I can remember through my drunken stoopers I ran 15 off 30 mph and that was it...first year back on the course and PB is 4 at 32 off 34 mph...

88 PS190
08-12-2006, 01:34 PM
would love to see the video. If I ever drag my left leg on the offside (rff) it tends to be if it turn my head and look further across course than my posistion in the turn would dictate causing me to be less countered and my body to drop back and in. Also sometimes you'll note that the ski stalls when this happens, not just the leg dragging.

If i keep my head and eyes down course till i have the handle back in my hand i stay more countered and never catch the leg.

BuoyChaser
08-12-2006, 05:16 PM
here's the long awaited video, but this was taken last saturday during windy conditions...

1st segment is 34mph 22'off then 36mph 22'off...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4920483578897398093&hl=en

BuoyChaser
08-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Lke I said though you are ahead of my ball count...I'm just sking for stress relief and excercise...this is my first year on a course since college (13 years ago) where if I can remember through my drunken stoopers I ran 15 off 30 mph and that was it...first year back on the course and PB is 4 at 32 off 34 mph...
i didn't start skiing the slalom course until my 1st year out of college, about 8yrs ago!!!

BuoyChaser
08-12-2006, 05:19 PM
would love to see the video. If I ever drag my left leg on the offside (rff) it tends to be if it turn my head and look further across course than my posistion in the turn would dictate causing me to be less countered and my body to drop back and in. Also sometimes you'll note that the ski stalls when this happens, not just the leg dragging.

If i keep my head and eyes down course till i have the handle back in my hand i stay more countered and never catch the leg.
you hit the nail on the head with my head looking across course, an old habit of mine back in the days when i listened to my drinkin'/ski buddies before making it to a real ski school and some coaching from pros...tough habit to break!!!

BuoyChaser
08-15-2006, 11:24 PM
here's a better pic of my offside turn, thanks to Mitch!!!great session on Friday...

problem seems to be that i'm not bringing my handle arm across to the furthest hip to take the "hit" to bring around the ski all the way!!!dry land practice here we come!!!

Jesus_Freak
08-15-2006, 11:31 PM
I cant offer you advice, but I can tell you this is amazing. You have some serious talent.

BuoyChaser
08-16-2006, 06:47 AM
I cant offer you advice, but I can tell you this is amazing. You have some serious talent.
nice thing to say, thanks!!!:D