PDA

View Full Version : Learn Snowboarding?

shepherd
08-09-2006, 07:43 PM
My 17 year old niece from Colorado challenged me to come out and snowboard with her this winter. She doesn't think I'd be able to keep up :cool:

I've never tried it before, figure I need to take some lessons. Am I crazy??? Any suggestions on lesson plan, how I can prepare for this event? How about a good snowboard school close to Denver area, like Winter Park? I'm thinking at least a week at snowboard school (similar like ski school when I was learning to ski the course), then I can come back out later in the winter for the big showdown.

Any advice (including "forget it old man") would be appreciated.

Thanks.

twieder
08-09-2006, 07:44 PM
Be prepaired for sudden stops!!!!:toast:

bcampbe7
08-09-2006, 10:01 PM
If she lives in Colorado chances are she will show you up.:)

You will need/want the following:
Knee pads
Wrist guards
Tailbone pad
Helmet
Tylenol

My brother-in-law wore football pants with the tailbone and knee pads in them. You can buy crash pants with all the padding in them also.

Some more words of advice... KEEP YOUR DOWNHILL EDGE UP OFF THE SNOW!

tex
08-09-2006, 10:06 PM
heel, toe, heel, toe

Maristar210
08-09-2006, 11:21 PM
Lean far forward, forget edging. Sail past everyone....

;) Steve

Workin' 4 Toys
08-10-2006, 12:00 AM
Double Black Diamond, hit it first......:rolleyes:

tex
08-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Get wide, wait longer, and cut hard...oh wrong sport...just turn and burn!

kennbarbie
08-10-2006, 01:42 AM
As an instructor, I suggest a few lessons and you will be carving turns and cruising the blues in no time. Its a very fast learning curve. Just watch out for the toe edge as you are falling leaf down the mountain. It will all make sence later to ya.
And remember, why do snowboarders have to use protection?
Becouse they cant pull out.

sassydog
08-10-2006, 07:13 AM
i grew up pretty poor so the only snowboarding advice i can give you would be related to duct taping a plastic sled to you feet!

Hoff1
08-10-2006, 09:07 AM
If you don't know how to wakeboard, start learning. The sports are different, but catching the wrong edge on the board is a common thing between the two. I think they are great cross-training sports.

I was a skateboarder for about 10 years and picked up snowboarding fairly quickly cause I was used to riding with the same stance, still hurt a lot though. Might take a few days to get the hang of carving back and forth.

When you start learning to go faster, don't use your arms to break your fall. Spent a couple of years rehabbing an elbow that I just about folded in half. Only 1 concussion to date, so get a helmet too.

chudson
08-10-2006, 09:09 AM
Do it, and when you learn PLEASE don't plop down in the middle of the run every time you stop on the slope, thanks and good luck!!!

Take lessons though!!!!

peason
08-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Good Luck Shepard! I took up snowboarding last winter at the age of 41. I took my first and only 1/2 day lesson the prior winter. Give yourself some time to learn - I told my wife I was ready to give up after that first lesson - I didn't see the need to board, I already know how to ski. But, a year later and a challenge from a friend, I dont' think I will go back to skiing. The first full day, I took a lot of spills, but by the end of the day I was able to make it to the bottom of the run with out falling. I was slow, but I made it w/o falling. I had the most problem on the the flats - some told me "speed is your friend!" and in a way it is because if you don't have a good slope it is hard just to point the board and go straight down until you get the hang of it. Our whole family snow boards now - and the 6 year old took it up alot faster than the 13 yr. old. Have fun!

shepherd
08-10-2006, 11:01 AM
Do it, and when you learn PLEASE don't plop down in the middle of the run every time you stop on the slope, thanks and good luck!!!

Take lessons though!!!!

Thanks for the advice, but I doubt I'll have much choice on where I plop down my first few times out. :( Hopefully, I'll get some slope etiquette lessons from the instructor. I'd hate to be like the newbie wakeboarder who ignorantly runs down the middle of the slalom course! :rant:

tex
08-10-2006, 02:32 PM

Take lessons though!!!!
As a person who skis and boards. Plop down on the sides away from blindspots. If you decide to just ride the sticks. Don't act like and ars who thanks he owns the mountain and will cut off a boarder w/o a 2nd thought. Most of all, don't get into the lift line until you have everyone with you! Can't we all just enjoy the mountain?

C36
08-10-2006, 04:52 PM
Agree with what others have said:

wear protection (Rollerblade wrist guards work well for wrists)
try wakeboarding at low speeds (water is softer than ice/snow)

take a series of lessons to accelerate the steep learning curve

One new one:

learn in soft snow (I learned back east on boiler plate) :(

And a picture to motivate you - cat powder snowboarding, Revelstoke, BC circa 1995! Good luck, have fun, and play safe! ;)

Eagle
08-10-2006, 05:26 PM
Great advice from C36. Definitely take lessons to learn and also wear wrist guards. The first couple of days (and especially the first) of snowboarding can be painful with all the falls. Catch a toeside edge -- and it will happen -- and BLAM!, you're down. The natural reaction is to stick out your hands to break the fall, which results in a broken wrist too often, especially on hard pack.

The learning curve is very fast in snowboarding and before you know it, you'll be ripping sick pow.

thijs
08-10-2006, 05:35 PM
As a Canadian Ski Coaches Federation member (race coach) I can't agree more with the idea of taking a lesson or two. I tried to learn to snowbaord on my own and came out in very bad shape. I took an hour long lesson and in a couple of days I was carving. But in comparison to 'peason' after I could keep up to my snowbaorder friends, I put back on my skis and continued to give them an a*@ whoopin'. Here is a pic, but please remeber that in the air is not where racers (ex) belong, so I dont get too fancy!!!

djhuff
08-10-2006, 05:58 PM
I learned to snowboard this past winter. It is a blast, especially on the east coast where skiing has become boring for me. I really didn't see much of a correlation with wakeboarding, it was more my understanding of carving and edge control on skis that allowed me to pick it up so quickly.

Leroy
08-11-2006, 12:44 AM
I took it up about 7 years ago, take lessons, and still you will do but busters like you have never felt before and falling at high speed is like being in a washing machine, remember the board doesn't come off. Long time skiers seem to have a much harder time learning. Luckily I wasn't that good on skis. My 17 and 15 yr old gave up snowboarding after morning lesson, but they have each been on skis since 3.

I enjoy it the same as skiing now at 46 and can Burn down a hill, do small jumps and easy pipes.

Just burning down a hill, you can take her, pipes or terrain and you are probably toast!

chudson
08-11-2006, 10:55 AM
'
Hey Shepard, where are you going for your challenge with your niece?

aprgriggs
08-11-2006, 10:58 AM
I have a problem of leaning back on the board which makes it hard to turn. Keep you weight forward. Have fun.

shepherd
08-11-2006, 11:37 AM
'
Hey Shepard, where are you going for your challenge with your niece?

She lives in Centennial, CO so it will be someplace close to Denver. Probably Winter Park.

chudson
08-11-2006, 01:48 PM
'
Make it out to Kestone on the MLK holiday break with a group, go to Breckinridge for a day while there. Steamboat is still my fav though,found memories! Good luck on your challenge and keep the sunnyside up!

shepherd
10-29-2007, 09:23 PM
Well, it's been over a year since I started this thread and I'm finally heading to the hills in December. Definitely. I have plane tickets.

So, now I ask: Should I ski or board? For cross-training purposes, which do you think is best for slalom waterskiers? I know how to snowski a little (ability: blue square). Never been on a snowboard. Being in Florida, I'll probably only do these snow skiing trips 2 or 3 times a year so maybe I should just stick with skis?

bcampbe7
10-29-2007, 09:34 PM
Well, it's been over a year since I started this thread and I'm finally heading to the hills in December. Definitely. I have plane tickets.

So, now I ask: Should I ski or board? For cross-training purposes, which do you think is best for slalom waterskiers? I know how to snowski a little (ability: blue square). Never been on a snowboard. Being in Florida, I'll probably only do these snow skiing trips 2 or 3 times a year so maybe I should just stick with skis?

Once you learn to board you will throw the skis away!

It will take you a good couple of days before you are comfortable on a board and able to go down the blues. Having said that, if you are just going a couple times a year you may want to stick with what you know.

dmayer84
10-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I would stick with the 2 planks

JohnE
10-29-2007, 09:44 PM
I've heard a few analogies between downhill skiing and the west coast techinque. Here and a few other places. I'd stick to skiing for just few times a year.

JoshBuzz
10-29-2007, 11:07 PM
We go just about every winter, and I threw the skis out the door four years ago, at 14, and taught myself how to snowboard! not having the "training wheels" was rough, but once I caught the hang of it, I was cruising blues no problem!! I felt more confident knowing that I taught myself, I just have a problem with the stomp pad off the lift, I make myself look like an idiot pretty much every time haha

6ballsisall
10-29-2007, 11:11 PM

It will take you a good couple of days before you are comfortable on a board and able to go down the blues. Having said that, if you are just going a couple times a year you may want to stick with what you know.

I"ll beg to differ with that Beau! I can board pretty decent but still highly prefer the Vokyl's.

The lessons will help alot Shep. I did notice that once i got the hang of boarding I felt like I progressed much quicker than I did on skis.

tex
10-30-2007, 12:01 AM

Don't take it that seriously! Go to the mountain and have fun! Most people who compare snow skiing and water skiing don't know how to water ski! If you are talking about cross training, I hope you are snowskiing at least 20 days a year!

shepherd
10-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Don't take it that seriously! Go to the mountain and have fun! Most people who compare snow skiing and water skiing don't know how to water ski! If you are talking about cross training, I hope you are snowskiing at least 20 days a year!

:uglyhamme Good point Tex! I can hardly call snow skiing a couple weeks a year "cross training" for waterskiing. We'll have fun either way and I guess I'd save money by sticking with the skis (no lessons, cheaper equipment rentals).

Leroy
10-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I'm the same Beau, I really love my snowboard.

There is a learning curve with the board and most people already know how to ski so getting to the same ability takes a lot of ski days falling around on the board.

Rich_G
10-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Lots of good advice here already..., here is one tip that I didn't see mentioned.

When you fall forward, you will instinctively stick your hands out to catch yourself. KEEP YOUR FISTS CLOSED. Jammed fingers and wrist sprains are one of the highest injuries when learning snowboarding.

Doug G
10-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Took it up 2 years ago and i really enjoy it now

lessons learned:
1. wrist guards
2. butt pads
3. lessons

biggest lesson i learned after a pretty good wrist sprain was to stop trying to catch my fall going backwards on my butt with my hands.. just plop and enjoy it. did i mention butt pads?

tones03
10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Lessons would be your best bet. I have been snowboarding for a couple years and my friends and I taught ourselves. Many painful weekends. There is a transition from going from skiing to boarding. I find it way more fun then skiing now.