PDA

View Full Version : USA Waterski Affiliated Clubs

Farmer Ted
11-10-2004, 07:46 PM
Does anyone here belong to a club that is listed on USA Waterski?

If so and it's not against the rules of your club can you post what your yearly dues are and what they include?

T

MarkP
11-10-2004, 08:02 PM
Farmer Ted,

NO

Farmer Ted
11-10-2004, 08:44 PM
MarkP:

Thanks

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-10-2004, 09:52 PM
My daughter is with a club in northern Wisconsin (I also skied with them once-upon-a-time). Dues for the club are $75 a year. The club puts on shows 2 or 3 nights a week and runs practice 1 or 2 evenings. The club is primarily kids and they are expected to be at practice and the shows. On practice nights, after acts have gone out, members may use the course or jump during free ski time. Members need to help put in and take out the jump in spring and fall as well as clean up the grounds, work and sell tickets for a couple of fundraisers. Parents also put in time (some more than others) on a variety of jobs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "listed with USA Waterski", but everyone must join for insurance coverage.

bret
11-10-2004, 10:10 PM
Yes, I'm Treasurer of the Heber Springs Water Ski Club, they have me listed as president but they messed up the paperwork.

We pay USA Waterski $125, as we list the Corp of Engineers as a second insured since we have our course at Sandy Beach Cove on Greers Ferry Lake, Heber Springs AR.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-10-2004, 10:18 PM
I will check with my daughter what/if our club pays to USA Waterski. She is the club treasurer but I don't know if she has all the club information here. We spend summers "up North" and she may have left some of the paperwork there.

Farmer Ted
11-10-2004, 10:28 PM
Laurel_Lake_Skier,

By listed on USA Waterski, I meant the clubs that are listed on USA Waterski's webpage.

http://www.usawaterski.org/pages/clubs/regiondetail.asp?type=s&name=LA

I was more curious as to what the dues to join the club are versus what the club pays USA Waterski to be affiliated. Should have been clearer.

Bret:

How far from Lake Greeson are you? I think I've heard Brad mention Greers Ferry a couple of times. Never mind, I see where you're at, you're not the person I bought the boom from are you? Can't remember, is your wife's name Michelle?

I'm just trying to find out what other people pay around the US. We have a pretty diverse slice of the US and Canada that show up here.

T

Laurel_Lake_Skier
11-10-2004, 10:48 PM
Yep...we're there. The Three Lakes Aqua Devils!

jmac197
11-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Our club has been recently revitalized. We started with my ski partner and myself. After 2 years we are up to 6 boats and 6 individuals. We charge $100 for the boat owners and $25 for individuals. We require that everyone join AWSA for insurance purposes. I think we are relatively cheap. All we are looking for is money to cover the cost of club administration...insurance and dues...and maintenace items for the course.

One thing we are trying to do is to entice more wakeboarders to join the club, but we can't come up with anything that would provide a benefit to them. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears!!!!

Later
Jim

MarkP
11-11-2004, 08:53 AM
MarkP:

ThanksWas just kidding. I guess you can tell , I donít know anything about it:o

Do you belong or you thinking about joining one??

Farmer Ted
11-11-2004, 09:01 AM
No worries Mark,

Just thought you might be post ho'in :D

T

tex
11-11-2004, 09:01 AM
www.metroplexskiclub.com

active usa waterski membership

single-$60 one time initiation fee
$125 annual fee
family-$100 one time initiation fee (2)-$10 each additional member
$180 annual fee (2)-$25 each additional member

unlimited use of 2 sites. one is world record capable with jump and course. the other is over 3 miles of privite river w/course. river curves serveral ways so that 3-4 boats can be used at once.

We do not have a club boat.

show ski team is additional
single $25 year
family 2-4 $50
family 5+ $75
Privite 3 hour practice on Saturday and any other additional practice and shows

phecksel
11-11-2004, 11:58 AM
We require that everyone join AWSA for insurance purposes. Later
Jim

Please tell me you're kidding. What insurance does every member get from AWSA? I've been having this battle within our club for years. AWSA DOES NOT cover individuals insurance for daily activities. We had an incident for a sanctioned event, properly documented, every participating club member belonged to AWSA, etc. They did not even cover the boat deductible. The university ski team also has a membership in our club, they were at a sanctioned tournament where someone was seriously injured. AWSA turned down the hospital bill, because the unconscience person did not call from the ambulance and request permission to go to the prior approved hospital.

There is no reason for every member of your club to be AWSA members. Even then go through possible scenarios where you think the insurance should cover, and I'll bet most of them are not covered. The devil is in the details. Most of the information is available on AWSA web site. Ask the hard specific questions of the insurance coverage.

LakeLottawatta
11-11-2004, 01:56 PM
phecksel,
I will tell you what insurance AWSA provides, It provides SECONDARY medical coverage up to $10,000 for accidents at ORGANIZED or SANCTIONED events....including club practices. The insurance DOES cover everyday activities as long as they are documented correctly.

As far as covering a boat deductible.....why would you expect them to? That is not what the insurance is for.

The reason most clubs require active AWSA insurance is for the liability protection it affords the club, therefore there is a reason to require every member join as an active member. It covers the club in case of liability claims, but only if all skiers are active members.

Now for AWSA refusing to pay a hospital bill, I am sure there was a good reason, and it was NOT because an unconscious skier didn't call ahead. If in fact there was a legitimate problem, it only needed to be brought to AWSA headquarters attention, and it would have been taken care of.

As a skier, judge, scorer, safety director, club president, collegiate team captain, collegiate team president, collegiate team coach, boat driver and spectator at thousands of tournaments, clinics, and practices for the past 35 years and as a lake owner for the past 11 seasons, tournament host for numerous traditional, INT, barefoot, and collegiate tournaments, and past tournament director for the Ohio State championships and the Midwest regional barefoot championships, I have personally been involved with COUNTLESS injuries at awsa sanctioned events and practices. I have drug people out of the water on a backboard, rode in the ambulance, sat in the emergency room, and even been drug from the water on a backboard myself several times. I have been the first swimmer to unconscious skiers, I have provided first aid onsite, I have filled out safety reports galore. I have been unconscious, had a concussion, suffered partial temporary paralysis, broken ankles, been cut, bruised, banged up, had amnesia from bumps on the head (maybe I need to give up jumping). The insurance claim has ALWAYS been honored according to the AWSA agreement......as a secondary medical insurance. When there has been a problem, AWSA headquarters staff has went to bat and fixed it.

I am sorry if I sound harsh, but this forum is read by many skiers who would benefit from AWSA membership, but don't join because they read things like were posted above. AWSA membership is an excellent value for all skiers, and offers real benefits.

Greg Lanich
Owner, Lake Lottawatta

Now to reply to the thread,
Membership at my lake is $500 per season, family or individual. Bring your own boat. Leave it onsite for storage and use the facilities as you like. Facilities include slalom course and jump, docks, volleyball court, basketball goal, campground with electric hook ups, lakeside pavillion with fridge, grill and hot tub, and stadium lights that light the whole lake. From what I understand, mine is one of the cheaper clubs in the area. I am selective about who I let join, and I have a waiting list that always has ten or so names on it.