PDA

View Full Version : Wax

BriEOD
07-21-2004, 10:02 AM
I saw on the other site someone recommended using Woody Wax. I went online and found it. That stuff is awesome! It's not cheap but works very well. It's a company in Fla. Check it out.

OhioProstar
07-21-2004, 11:10 AM
Nothing beats 3Ms Finessee It II. Goes on smooth and buffs to a great shine. I bought a high speed buffer before my vacation over the fourth and I can't believe the difference it makes. Hand apply the polish/wax, remove with the terry cloth at low speed and buff at high speed.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 12:04 AM
Bill,

What's a bottle of that run? The Woody's was close to $30. It's like an aersol. You spray it on and use a damp cloth to spread it and then buff. Plus it leaves a high gloss BUT, it's not slick. It's made especially for the marine industry.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 10:24 AM
I’m getting ready to wash and wax up my boat. Yesterday I used the Star bright hull cleaner on and below the waterline (had some funk from vacation) I don’t have the wax yet but when I talk to Spectrum today I am going to ask for a recommendation

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 11:52 AM
My dealer recommended McGuire's and that's all I've ever used. How does Tim say it? "Get's 'er done." (grammar arranged for context).

MarkP
07-22-2004, 12:44 PM
Ok

I just got off of the phone with Spectrum and they said any good carnauba wax will work fine..

On a sad note, my color “Blue Atlantic” is not available in the “repair kit” size for $15, but is available in the quart size for 65.. Anyone want to go in on a can of liquid gel coat with me?? (6 month shelf life) ??:(

east tx skier
07-22-2004, 12:45 PM
Liquid Gel Coat?

MarkP
07-22-2004, 12:50 PM
YUP, Quart can.. Its like heavy paint.. The repair kit is like a paste.

MarkP
07-22-2004, 12:56 PM
The guy at Spectrum also told me,

to get rid of fade use “fiberglass rubbing compound” and wax after that.

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 02:05 PM
Woody Wax makes a product to restore gel coat that works well. It's like a wax, put it on for a few minutes and it buffs off. http://www.woody-wax.com/

MarkP
07-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Cool stuff on that site.. Only the best for my 93;)

BriEOD
07-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Not the cheapest but, it's made for the marine industry and works well.

kentsmith12
08-12-2004, 07:10 PM
I use woody frequently - it doesn't last as long as traditional wax but it looks great and much easier to apply/take off - so my boat always looks good. Once a year I compound to strip everything off less the decals...

Tgchrist
08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
I have experimented with various waxes over the years. Up to about two years ago I used the Mequiars three step, Color restorer(where needed), Polish then their wax. I have found that the 3M Marine Ultra performance Paste Wax is by far better. The 3M finesse II works well on the polish side and for light fade the Mequiars No44 Mirror Glaze works well and is easy to use. I cannot say enough good about the 3M Marine Ultra wax. I wax once a year in the fall before I put it up for the winter. Runs about $16.00 per can. :)

chico
08-13-2004, 08:58 AM
I Just Used Turtle Wax Ultra High Gloss.this Is The Nicest Wax I Have Used Yet.

gene dobies
08-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Like to get one myself. What brand did you get, give us some details.,, Thanks

tall_ andy
08-13-2004, 05:34 PM
Does anyone use a power buffer?? I was too afraid of schorching the gel coat, so did it by hand to be safe. Buffer would make things easier though

PeteS
03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
It's sounding like Woody Wax and 3M products are the top choices. What is the favorite Meguiars's final wax after rub-out and scratch removal?

BrianM
03-10-2005, 10:49 AM
I have been using just the Meguires Carnuba Wax for my final wax. I use their marine Color Restore if I notice a little fade. I have always been happy with the results and the Carnuba can be had for about $6 a bottle. I am just about out and might give the 3M a try this nex time around though.

DanC
03-10-2005, 11:59 AM
I would not use 3M Finesse II with a high speed buffer on a regular basis. For sure, I love the stuff for getting scuffs out but it is a polish, not a wax. :twocents:

PeteS
03-10-2005, 02:05 PM
It sounds like the 3M Finesse II has characteristics similiar to a compound as well. That's good to know, Dan.

Like I said in a another post, I picked up a tub of regular, old, Turtle Wax last fall at the hardware store which I've been using. I'm just debating to use it up, or buy a new product before hand. At $6, the Meguire's may be the way to go. Thanks.

milkmania
03-10-2005, 11:32 PM
went to O'reilly's auto parts store today....
3M's Imperial compound was $36.00, and Finesse was $20.00 a bottle

or the other way around

Jim
03-12-2005, 01:49 PM
Check out this web site Protectall.com. This stuff works great. Under 8 bucks. Wallmart carries it in the RV section.

mika
03-28-2005, 05:52 PM
I use a wax called best of show. This stuff is amazing.

Here is the link

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005

I use the Carnauba Paste Wax for the boat and liquid for the car. The only thing close it Miguires gold class. But that paste wax holds up awesome!

Also 3M Finess it is not a wax. It is a polish compound only. Its effects do wash off because it does not offer the protection like wax does. Dont get me wrong Finess has it uses but a wax it is not.

I highly recommend the best of show wax I have a best paint award from a car show to prove it is awesome stuff. The car that is shown has an awesome paint job but a good quality wax will bring out depth and luster that even a new paint job cant match. I dare any of you to do a comparison on waxs for yourself.

PeteS
03-28-2005, 06:32 PM
I use a wax called best of show. This stuff is amazing.

Here is the link

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?L1=L1_1000&L2=L2_1005

I use the Carnauba Paste Wax for the boat and liquid for the car. The only thing close it Miguires gold class. But that paste wax holds up awesome!

Also 3M Finess it is not a wax. It is a polish compound only. Its effects do wash off because it does not offer the protection like wax does. Dont get me wrong Finess has it uses but a wax it is not.

I highly recommend the best of show wax I have a best paint award from a car show to prove it is awesome stuff. The car that is shown has an awesome paint job but a good quality wax will bring out depth and luster that even a new paint job cant match. I dare any of you to do a comparison on waxs for yourself.
The stuff looks amazing, Mika. I just finished buying a bottle of Meguires Carnauba Wax, so I'll have to use up that stuff before I buy more, but the stuff looks good. Thanks!

aprgriggs
03-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Do you have to do anything special to a metal-flake gel coat? or just polish and wax like normal?

lakes Rick
03-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Griot's Garage... Ever get his catalog?? Some pretty interesting stuff in it, but you have to be as Rich as Mag to afford it......

mika
03-30-2005, 10:08 AM
Griot's Garage... Ever get his catalog?? Some pretty interesting stuff in it, but you have to be as Rich as Mag to afford it......

LOL, I do get the catalog and yes there are some things in there that are pricy. But as long as you know prices you will not do to bad. There are somethings that I would never buy from them (Griot's Garage) but some is very fair in price. The quality is very good on most items. I only buy the cleaning/detailing suff from them. Look at the rubber dressing it is expensive, but it is great sutff. It last a very long time and has IMO the perfect look. And a little goes a long way. In the long run cheaper then some other dressings.

CTPJ
04-04-2005, 11:13 AM
I use Griots products on my vehicles - including my show cars. Their stuff is great. I do agree that it is on the pricey side but when you have cars with expensive pain jobs it is worth it. If you're into cars, you should at least get the catalog. With that said, I also use it on my MC and have been very pleased. This season though I am thinking of going with Klasse All in One and High Gloss Sealant.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/klasse.html

Has anyone ever used this on their boat? If so, what are your thoughts?

Todd

tph
04-04-2005, 11:36 AM
I use Griots products on my vehicles - including my show cars. Their stuff is great. I do agree that it is on the pricey side but when you have cars with expensive pain jobs it is worth it. If you're into cars, you should at least get the catalog. With that said, I also use it on my MC and have been very pleased. This season though I am thinking of going with Klasse All in One and High Gloss Sealant.

http://www.premiumautocare.com/klasse.html

Has anyone ever used this on their boat? If so, what are your thoughts?

Todd

I've used Klasse "All in One" for years. It's great. Expensive.. but great.

erkoehler
04-29-2005, 04:35 AM
How often do you guys wax the outside of your boats? I know it sounds like most wipe them done every use, but when does the wax come into play?

BrianM
04-29-2005, 10:13 AM
How often do you guys wax the outside of your boats? I know it sounds like most wipe them done every use, but when does the wax come into play?

I wax my boat inside and out about once a month or so.

east tx skier
04-29-2005, 12:18 PM

About 3 times per season (maybe more if I use the boat more).

Tom Wortham
04-29-2005, 01:03 PM
What about the type of Wax? I have used a 3M product that I found at Wal Mart... seems to work pretty good. At least for an old school boat. :D

BrianM
04-29-2005, 01:17 PM
Currently using Meguires Carnuba Wax. Seems to wok well and the price is good at about $7

JEREMY79
04-29-2005, 02:32 PM
I use meguires #26 (i think) high tech yellow wax. Smells like bannanas