PDA

View Full Version : How to remove decal adhesive?

VTJC
08-08-2006, 02:30 PM
I am halfway through a decal/logo update for my 99 MC SportStar. I removed both of the large MasterCraft Decals on the sides this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for an adhesive remover. The vinyl decal came off okay but the adhesive is stubborn. Thanks in advance, Jamie

SKI*MC
08-08-2006, 02:34 PM
break clean?

bcampbe7
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
I am halfway through a decal/logo update for my 99 MC SportStar. I removed both of the large MasterCraft Decals on the sides this weekend. I am looking for recommendations for an adhesive remover. The vinyl decal came off okay but the adhesive is stubborn. Thanks in advance, Jamie

I used this on my SUV when I removed the fender flares this weekend. it was a pain, but worked.

Blaster Decal and Sticker remover (http://www.pbblaster.com/store/moreinfo.cfm?Product_ID=6)

I bought it at Advanced Auto.

Not sure if it is safe for gelcoat or not...

Also, you might want to wear a mask as I doubt the fumes are healthy. I hvae had no ill eeffct tohugh.

VTJC
08-08-2006, 02:37 PM
I tried brake cleaner and spray on glass cleaner, neither worked particularly well. I need to buy some true adhesive remover, but thought others might have ideas.

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 02:38 PM
When I redid the woodgrain decals on my jeep, a heat gun was the ticket. I'd be leary using it on gelcoat without researching it further. Maybe start with a hairdryer. 3M makes a decal remover as well, but I'd get some feedback as to how it affects the surface.

bcampbe7
08-08-2006, 02:39 PM
Another note is that the decal remover or adhesive remover will strip the wax so you will need to wax the area afterwards. Of course if you are putting new decals on, it may be a good thing to strip the wax.

VTJC
08-08-2006, 02:40 PM
Thanks I used a heat gun judiciously to get the vinyl portion off.

LakePirate
08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
the woodgrain decals .

Really nice Clark, really nice.

BrianM
08-08-2006, 02:42 PM
GooGone. Works great and available at most any megamart or hardware store. Just wax after.

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 02:43 PM
Jamie, I heard about the 3m stuff on the Jeep forum when I was having a hard time with heat and a rubber spatula getting the 18 yr old adhesive off. There was some concern from those guys as to how it would react with the painted finish that had no clear coat.

"Don't know why they call it hamburger helper; it does just fine by itself."

LakePirate
08-08-2006, 02:51 PM
Not sure what goof-off would do to the gelcoat, but it will remove the adhesive.

barefoot
08-08-2006, 02:55 PM
WD-40 works for me

jraben8
08-08-2006, 02:58 PM
GooGone. Works great and available at most any megamart or hardware store. Just wax after.

I second GooGone...

TMCNo1
08-08-2006, 03:00 PM
"Don't know why they call it hamburger helper; it does just fine by itself."

Try the new Chitterling Helper and Vienna Sausage Helper!

CoFooter
08-08-2006, 03:08 PM
Goof Off, probably same type of thing as Goo Gone. Never had a problem using it on gelcoat

G-man
08-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Go to your arts & crafts store and get some Bestine Rubber Cement Thinner. It will remove the stickey stuff , it works on plastic without harming the finish. The product you can use is 3M adhesive remover, Ive seen this at auto part stores.

trickskier
08-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I agree with above. Goo Gone is the best and can now be bought in a pump spray bottle. You should be able to find it in any hardware store.

Hoosier Bob
08-08-2006, 09:58 PM
A little late but if you use a hair dryer to remove the decals most of the backing will come off with the decal leaving very little clean up. I used this method on the ole' 93' and no glue remained. Next time!:o

BrianM
08-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Not sure what goof-off would do to the gelcoat, but it will remove the adhesive.

It is fine on gelcoat. I have used it many times with absolutely no problems. It is citrus based so it does strip wax but is safe.

VTJC
08-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Got some GooGone and tried it this morning after my new PB 32’ off at 34MPH. It didn’t seem to cut through the adhesive very well. I am going to try and setup it up to 3M adhesive remover next. I guess after seven years they were well bonded.

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 10:20 AM
Good luck. In Texas, you could just leave the boat outside for about 15 minutes and that gunk would've melted away. ;)

VTJC
08-09-2006, 10:22 AM
E. Texas that is not very likely here in VT. It was 47 degrees when I headed to the lake this morning.

east tx skier
08-09-2006, 10:25 AM
We're looking at 101 this weekend at Lake LBJ for our family reunion. Stay warm up there.

Mikey
08-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Lighter fluid (the kind you put in zippo lighters) works awesome! Takes the adhesive right off and evaporates leaving no residue.

MarkP
08-24-2006, 09:27 AM
Lighter fluid (the kind you put in zippo lighters) works awesome! Takes the adhesive right off and evaporates leaving no residue.
Makes sense,
But its ok on the gel??

Mikey
08-24-2006, 11:30 AM
Makes sense,
But its ok on the gel??

I used it on my boat when I changed the registration decals and it didnt damage the gel coat at all. In fact it made it shiny. Im not saying that it wont damage gel coat but it worked great on mine.

MarkP
08-24-2006, 11:33 AM
I used it on my boat when I changed the registration decals and it didnt damage the gel coat at all. In fact it made it shiny. Im not saying that it wont damage gel coat but it worked great on mine.Thanks Mikey

ski_king
08-24-2006, 11:34 AM
I used WD-40 also with good results.

VTJC
08-29-2006, 10:41 PM
3M General Adhesive Remover worked great today. After compound and wax you can barely see where the old decals were. Thanks for all the advice. Jamie

MarkP
08-30-2006, 08:53 AM
3M General Adhesive Remover worked great today. After compound and wax you can barely see where the old decals were. Thanks for all the advice. Jamie
Good deal!! I hope your NEXT post is the one with the photographs of this project in it..

Leroy
08-30-2006, 09:00 AM
I have used stuff call Goo Gone that works well and does not smell.

DETAILDAVE
08-27-2007, 07:35 PM
HEY BRO... TRY WD 40 IT WORKED ON ONE OF MY CUSTOMERS RACE TRAILERS HAD STICKERS ALL OVER IT . SPRAY IT ON USE A SOFT BRUSH AND WORK IT IN . YOU WILL SEE IT START TO GUM UP .THEN USE A DEGREASER LIKE PURPLE POWER TO CLEAN OFF THE WD

DETAILDAVE
08-27-2007, 07:36 PM
USE WD 40 AND A BRUSH:D

DETAILDAVE
08-27-2007, 07:39 PM
Wd 40 And A Brush Will Work Use Purple Power To Clean The Wd

milkmania
08-27-2007, 08:20 PM
:confused:

H20BOY
08-27-2007, 08:38 PM
I agree with ski king...I use WD40 anytime I need to remove adhesives. It works great and is safe on gel coat.

Jim@BAWS
08-27-2007, 08:55 PM

ACETONE or Mineral Spirits

When you use ACETONE Wet a OLD TOWEL use gloves in a VERY OPEN Area. USE Caution Mineral Spirits takes a little longer

Nail Polish remover is ACETONE

The gum will come off

Jim@BAWS

Good to see that Sportstar still out there AWESOME BOAT

Sodar
08-28-2007, 10:30 AM
I had to remove a few letters of the MC decal, because they had completely peeled off.

Here is my lovely "M" of MasterCraft dangling off the side of the boat! Come on MC... dewax and clean the hull before you install these!!!

First thing I did was taped up the surrounding stickers, so no adhesive remover got into those and weakened the surrounding letters

Here is the stuff I used. The 3M stuff is AWESOME. It has an orange scent and is very easy on the hands. I also had a pen for some of the tougher areas and Seapower to clean the final haze off.

Here is my gorgous "ast rCraft" I am still waiting to get my warrantied decal from my dealer! :(

east tx skier
08-28-2007, 10:35 AM
What is it about the domed-style decals that causes them to reject the boat? I've not tried, but I'd think it'd take a blow torch to get my 14 year old vinyl decals off my boat.

Sodar
08-28-2007, 10:41 AM
What is it about the domed-style decals that causes them to reject the boat? I've not tried, but I'd think it'd take a blow torch to get my 14 year old vinyl decals off my boat.

Yeah, for your style decals, a heatgun and a credit card will have them off in a matter of seconds.

TMCNo1
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Apparently there is a weak adhesive being used with these domed decals. As with plain old vinyl, there are different grades of vinyl film along with different grades of adhesives and Mastercraft had apparently been getting the plain decals prior to the domed stuff in GOOD 12 Year High Performance Vinyl for them to adhere, hold color and wear like they do/did. MC has not been doing anything different to prep the gelcoat now, than they did in the 70's, '80's and '90's, so it has to be the adhesive or the fact they cant squeegy the domed decals down like the plain vinyl of the past. Having the original nearly 19 year old plain vinyl decals on our unused boat works for me.

TMCNo1
08-28-2007, 10:53 AM
Feel fortunate that only a heat gun and solvents will remove vinyl stripes and decals and adhesive, some decals are of such high quaility and have been on so long, that the vinyl and adhesive has to be removed with a rubber eraser from the paint or gelcoat, then the finish has to be fine sanded and polished out to clean it all up. Yes, I as a signpainter/signwriter/pinstriper for over 37 years, I remove and apply vinyl decals too when necessary.

east tx skier
08-28-2007, 11:17 AM
Yeah, for your style decals, a heatgun and a credit card will have them off in a matter of seconds.

Adhesive must not transfer its loyalty to gel coat like it does to a painted surface. I had to take the woodgrain decal off my old Jeep GW a few years back and with the heat gun and a plastic spatula, it was like pulling teeth to get it off. A real mess.

Maristar210
08-28-2007, 11:23 AM
My "Maristar" is peeling off. Looks like I'll be reviewing this thread closely :(