PDA

View Full Version : Slight vibration thru all speeds

txwakebrds
08-07-2006, 09:12 PM
Hello and great site!

I just got a 2002 X Star and have a slight vibration all the way thru throttle, the vibration does not change at any speeds. I did a search and read other post, I looked at my strut and this is exactly how mine looks below, it is not centered. The boat now has a "rebuilt" prop on. My question is: does anyone else's shaft and strut look like this and is not having any vibrations? The owner said he beached the boat and when he started it, it hit a rock and damaged the old prop. I looked under the boat and there are no scratches on the shaft,strut,rudder or guide fins. Let me know what you think the vibration is???

Pic of shaft and strut from other post "not actual pic of my boat",
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10901&stc=1&d=1150480544

Thanks,

- Jay

Laurel_Lake_Skier
08-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Sorry to hear of the troubles.....they could be expensive to solve.

I'd say either the rebuilt prop and/or the propshaft could be your problem. Depending on how hard the hit was, the shaft may have been bent along with the prop. It only takes a few thousanths of an inch off of perfectly straight to create problems. The only way to know for sure is to have it checked with a dial indicator to ensure the shaft is straight. The rebuilt prop may also be the culprit if it wasn't proplerly balanced after the repair.

txwakebrds
08-08-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the reply.

- Jay

txwakebrds
08-09-2006, 05:05 PM
Anyone else's shaft sit like this in their strut and is not having any vibrations?

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=10901&stc=1&d=1150480544

Thanks,

Jay

roddydog
08-09-2006, 05:12 PM
My guess is shaft. If he 'beached' it, it could have been sitting ON the prop and shaft, then when he hit something that could have furthered the problem.

Get your shaft checked and if that is not the source try a new prop. Or the other way around if you can get a tester prop for free just to try it, then you know where to go from there.

txwakebrds
08-09-2006, 05:38 PM
I will try another prop this weekend, I will post an update.

Thanks,

- Jay

DBR
08-09-2006, 05:49 PM
I have 99 Sportstar. The drive shaft on mine looked worse than yours. I planned to replace the bushings. But first decided to align the engine to make the shaft straight. No luck. I removed the strut and discovered it was bent. I had a local prop shop straighten it. New bushings, straight shaft = no vibration.

FlatBoard
08-10-2006, 08:39 AM
I have a 2004 X-30 and switched to a ss prop. I love the pull and it rides really smooth. I to had some vibration so I switched form the original prop that came with the boat. I think my problem was the original prop was out of balance.

bigmac
08-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Vibration is a multifactorial problem that can involve the shaft, strut, and prop. Alignment vs bent strut vs damaged prop vs bent shaft vs bad strut bushing - singly or in various combinations can do it.

Probably the simplest thing to start with is to check transmission/shaft alignment. Next, pull the prop and have it balanced and trued. Next, runout on the shaft, next replace the strut bushing.

It's easy to envision scenario on a used boat where the previous owner hits a stump and thinks he just dinged the prop - gets it "re-built" and sells the boat, with the new owner ultimately finding out that that stump also bent the strut, or bent the shaft too. Or all three. The picture of the strut bushing in this post in particular makes me think that the incident that made the orginal owner put a new "rebuilt" prop on there did more damage than he thought. I've seen several posts on TT where a shaft, strut, or propeller looked "perfect" to untrained observation, but closer inspection shows damage. This thread, (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=10738&highlight=strut) for example...

txwakebrds
08-13-2006, 09:11 PM
New prop and no more VIBRATIONS!,

Quick pic from today at Medina lake,
http://www.texaswakeboarders.com/images/xstar/1.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

- Jay

txwakebrds
08-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Quick pic from today at Medina lake,
http://www.texaswakeboarders.com/images/xstar/1.jpg

Thanks for the replies,

- Jay

milkmania
08-13-2006, 09:25 PM

Thanks for the replies,

- Jay

well....this don't look right:confused:

txwakebrds
08-13-2006, 09:40 PM
That was a pic from another post on this board, my shaft is not off that bad. I did check a few other x stars at the dealer and their shafts was not centered in the strut, they were off a little bit like mine. Boat runs perfect now, I will check the shaft/strut to be sure everything is OK.

Thanks again,

Jay

gummerS4
08-29-2006, 12:46 PM
I recently hit a buoy center on at night and had quite a bit of vibration. I took it in and had them rebuild the prop and throw it back on. I am still having vibrations, but they are a lot less so I'm wondering if it is the shaft or strut or if the prop wasn't balanced correctly. I am not the most machanically inclined person and funds are limited, so I thought I would get some advice from the experts... :) First boat, just bought her in May.

Thanks,
Josh

'88 ProStar 190

TMCNo1
08-29-2006, 12:54 PM
I recently hit a buoy center on at night and had quite a bit of vibration. I took it in and had them rebuild the prop and throw it back on. I am still having vibrations, but they are a lot less so I'm wondering if it is the shaft or strut or if the prop wasn't balanced correctly. I am not the most machanically inclined person and funds are limited, so I thought I would get some advice from the experts... :) First boat, just bought her in May.

Thanks,
Josh

'88 ProStar 190

Are you sure the people who rebuilt the prop balanced it. The prop may have been correctly rebuilt, but if they didn't balance it, a vibration will result. I had my new perfect prop polished and enough material was removed on part of the prop in the polishing process to knock it out of balance. I sent it to the manufacturer and had it balanced and it ran perfectly smooth for 13 years.