PDA

View Full Version : shortline in open water

cwright
08-07-2006, 07:00 PM
My 88PS190 has a sweet spot in the wake starting at 28 off and even better at 32 off, at 32 - 34 MPH. Skiing at the shorter lines has never been a problem for me in open water, and having the bump free wake crossing is actually helping me break bad habits from years behind an IO. I've never completed the course at less than 15 off @ 30, and now I'm wondering if all of this short line time @32+ will help me or hurt me when I get back in the buoys?

rodltg2
08-07-2006, 07:12 PM
yes it will.... shortline skiing is whole different ball game..

ntidsl
08-07-2006, 07:14 PM
yup!!! I never ski less than 28 off in open water...how do you know you are breaking bad habits though?

cwright
08-07-2006, 08:56 PM
I'm no longer breaking at the waist when crossing the wake of death. I can hook up, get hips forward, and lay back for the catapult across the wake. A few photos have confirmed good postion at wakes. Considerable speed generated, but decelaritng preturn and adding a wing to my fin have helped me deal with the speed. Without the buoys it all seems pretty easy.

If I go back to 15 off @30, I'm right in the middle of a sizable rooster tail, and a bump that is big enough to be disappointing. Go shortline and I'm in front of all that. If I do this the rest of the summer and someday go into the course again, I'm not sure what to expect.

Brent
08-07-2006, 10:39 PM
Free skiing mixed with course skiing is great! Just free skiing short line has a tendancy to make you not ski wide enough.Skiing the 15off @ 30mph bump teaches you to pull through the wakes .

ntidsl
08-08-2006, 07:29 AM
good point...I think if you are concerned about skiing get on a course asap...also I'd suggest a coach to clean all your habits up...after well over 15 years off a course I thought for sure I was way better than I really was and when I got on a course I was humbled...seriously humbled...now if you aren't concerned with the course, stay away from it for ever!!!!!!!

Davo
08-08-2006, 09:13 AM
...after well over 15 years off a course I thought for sure I was way better than I really was and when I got on a course I was humbled...seriously humbled...now if you aren't concerned with the course, stay away from it for ever!!!!!!!
LOL..."stay away"....don't do it man. All the fun of slalom will be a distant memory! ;)

That's funny ntidsl - I hadn't skied the course in about the same amount of time as you until a week and a half ago. Of course, I was never good at it back then and had very limited home grown experience. I thought I did pretty good that first time back on it, but last Friday I skied like crap...of course I rode a friend's new Sixam and probably was in over my head, but it can get frustrating. Still, I love the challenge.

I still like to freeski as well...that's how I got tuned up to try the course - that, and picking up tips on this site helped tremendously. However, I always freeski at 15' off....now that I've made 6 buoys at 15' off, I'm curious about trying shorter lengths freeskiing and then trying that length on the course.

cwright - "wake of death"?? C'mon man, you've got an '88 prostar...it can't be that bad. lol

Jesus_Freak
08-08-2006, 11:19 AM
I am certainly far from the point of being qualified to give advice on this forum, as I am still stuck with a PB of 5@ 28 MPH and 15' off, but I find free skiing a totally different sport than course skiing. As soon as I hit the course, all my bad habits come back to haunt me. I dont think there is a boat out there that does not have a wake of death at 28-30MPH at 15' off? If so, please someone tell me!

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-08-2006, 11:27 AM
Now This is interesting! I find that BUMP in the wake irritating. I free ski only, no course skiing. But I have been hesitant to try going more than 28 off. I tried it 22 and 28 off and the bump is actualy worse, so if you get in front of the rooster tail, is that TOO short line for just a free skier like me??? I would like to try that. I would just like to not have to fight that wake bump so much. Its there, no matter how you look at it. so if you jump to 32 off, you can avoid the bump? but is the speed so goofy there that it makes it not fun?? :confused:

cwright
08-08-2006, 12:22 PM
Wake of death was a hitorical reference to my IO days. 88PS190 is sweet....at 28 to 32 off. Any shorter and your in the spray big time.

Jesus_Freak
08-08-2006, 12:26 PM
Sorry...You are right. I should have said bump instead of wake of death. I am still having trouble slicing the bump on my off-side pull.

cwright
08-08-2006, 12:27 PM
I thought jumping from 15 off to 28/32 off would be a big challenge, but in open water I found the adjustments pretty easy to make. Things happen pretty fast, and you need a good one handed turn and solid hook up with handle pulled back to your hip. Then the fun begins. My first wake crossing at 28 off @ 34 made me LOL. i couldn't believe the absence of wake. I ski 32 off as well. I do believe you end up skiing narrow, with long radius turns (trying to dumps speed). Course turns need to be quick, but open water is "free skiing". I would encourage you to try shorter lengths and speeds until you find the sweet spot.

ntidsl
08-08-2006, 12:33 PM
let me know when you get on a course....good luck....just curious to see how it all works out...i ski at short line lengths open water purely because thats what i ski on the course...never tried short line before I achieved it in the course

east tx skier
08-08-2006, 12:51 PM
I've found that I am more concerned about the wake when I'm free skiing. In the course, I have other things to occupy my mind, and I forget all about the wake.