PDA

View Full Version : Condensor?

peterb
08-07-2006, 01:32 PM
What exactly does a condensor do in the distributor? When I replaced the points this year, I didn't replace the condensor... the one I purchased from West Marine (40 miles away) didn't fit.

I am still experiencing some dropouts / stalling at high speeds still after replacing the filter, anti-siphon valve, and rebuilding the carb. Not sure if I should switch to electronic ignition or replace the fuel pump or both.

I was going to check the fuel pump but the local autoparts want $40 for a pressure checker and none loan them out. I did setup a bottle and crank the engine (with out the coil wire) and went from a pint a fuel in 24 seconds to a pint of fuel on 11 seconds after replacing the clogged anti-siphon valve on the tank.

Any suggestions?

Leroy
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
The condensor keeps arcs from happening on your points as they open and close. If the condensor is bad the points will pit and you will need another set of points. I cannot remember if a bad condensor changes the spark or timing.

kurtr
08-07-2006, 02:01 PM
If I remember correctly, watch the tachometer when you get the stalling. If it is stalling because of the ignition system the tach will either get very erratic or possibly drop to zero faster than the engine would normaly be able to respond. If there is a fuel issue the tach should be constant and decline with the decline of the engine rpm.

peterb
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
After we replaced the anti-siphon valve on the tank (which someone recommended here and was severely plugged), I thought that would fix the problem. We took it out and it definately was better, but as we ran wide open I watched it drop from 38mph to 35mph to 32 mph when it backfired and sputtered.

Now I am guessing what to do next and saw a thread about the condensor. Hate chasing problems like this with money!!!