PDA

View Full Version : Distributor weights?

peterb
08-07-2006, 01:28 PM
I am having some problems with my 86 with a 351. Reading threads on here about switching to an electronic ignition is becoming a definite possibility (all though this boat is nickle & diming me to death this year). I was reading the review/information about what it takes to install the electronic ignition and one picture stated:

Check the distributor weights...

What am I looking for other than "yup, their in there!!"

Dan K
08-07-2006, 01:36 PM
Make sure they are not rusted in place and move freely. Also the springs holding them in place have a specific tension and need to be replaced with similar springs if they are rusted as well.

peterb
08-07-2006, 01:41 PM
Thanks Dan, I will check that if we go with the electronic ignition replacement. I am leaning that way with my high speed stalling because I am running out of alternatives. I read on here that may be a symptom of a bad condensor and we didn't replace the condensor when we redid the points this spring (wrong size condensor) so I don't know what else to do at this point. Instead of doing the condensor, I might do the electronic ignition conversion al though that is ALOT more.

LakePirate
08-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Peterb

I would highly recommend that you go with the electronic ignition. It is the best money you will spend.

scott88prostar
09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Hey Peter....I had problems with my springs.....same issues your having...I replaced the distributor with electronic ignition installed for about 185 bucks complete.....I didnt want to mess with springs anymore because I was uncertain that they were the right ones as I had replaced them before....but the boat has never run better.......this guy has some interesting info anyways.....and he will help you over the phone....just like skidim but it was cheaper.........http://www.centuryperformance.com/timing.asp

JimN
09-03-2006, 10:40 PM
The electronic ignition will eliminate the points but the weights and springs will still be there and they will still need to be in good condition.