PDA

View Full Version : window tinting - car

mitch
08-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Anybody done it? Happy w/ the results? Want to do it to my Caliber, and am looking for opinions. Can you just wash it like a normal window, or it having a film on the inside glass a drag to wash and take care of? I don;t want anything too dark for the drivers and pass front window;s, something like this? Thanks for any help!

http://www.antennax.com/images/gallery_ax01/images/caliber.jpg

milkmania
08-07-2006, 10:10 AM
won't own a vehicle without tinted windows, never have, never will

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/milkmania/DSCF6239.jpg

clean as regular

mitch
08-07-2006, 10:12 AM
If I do the back window,pass and drivers side back seat and the little triangle windows, will that make the car dark enough where I don't have to do the front drivers/pass windows? I'm lookingfor something like what a factory explorer would look like, and I don;t want to get pulled over for it. Thanks!

SteveO
08-07-2006, 10:16 AM
In the south, the tint stores are a dime a dozen. I have had every car I can recall tinted and wouldn't have it any other way. In my college days, it was limo tint, which I would never do today. My last 2 SUV's already had the front driver and passenger windows tinted. Go for it. It takes the fish bowl feeling out of driving.

http://www.solargard.com/Assets/PDFs/Technical_Docs/State_Tinting_Laws.pdf

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Dont even think about tinting your windows in Michigan. Thats about as serious a crime as drugs or assualt.....in the eyes of the cops. Michigan Cops HATE, I MEAN HATE window tinting. They write everyone and anyone they can with tint. I have so many friends and customers that have gotten hassel and tickets from cops for window tint. WHY? I have no idea. Its legal in alot of states. I swear you would have a better chance of NOT getting pulled over if you were driving with a truckload of cocaine leaking out hte back on the ground, with 19 solicited and paid hookers in the car with no seatbelts on, expired plates, a loaded machine gun mounted to the roof, (with one hooker stationed at the gun firing at random for effect), driving 83 MPH in a 25 zone, swerving eradically, whipping beer bottles at people, and smashing mail boxes with a baseball bat than you would if you drove through town at the speed limit with window tint..... They just hate it here. We have all kinds of serious crime going on in this state and they fiddle around pulling people over for window tint..... I sure feel safe at night knowing there are no cars with dark windows riding around my neighborhood. :rolleyes: tax dollars at work.......

OK, I am ranting, sorry......:o

jraben8
08-07-2006, 10:50 AM
In the south it is almost mandatory to keep temps at a decent level inside. As far as maintenance goes, it's no big deal at all. Once it dries its stuck. The only worry that I have about it is scratching it.

bigmac
08-07-2006, 11:06 AM
Dont even think about tinting your windows in Michigan. Thats about as serious a crime as drugs or assualt.....in the eyes of the cops.

Michigan's tinting laws are indeed a little arcane. "The law that covers window applications is MCL 257.709 (http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(mqn0eymu5nh2rfjywrtm2cmy)/mileg.aspx?page=getobject&objectname=mcl-257-709&highlight=). The use of tinting is limited to the rear side windows, the rear window if the vehicle has outside mirrors on both sides, and the top 4 inches of the front side windows. There is a limited exception for medical necessity with a doctor's prescription, which allows for tinting to be applied to the front side windows as well. Michigan does not have a specification for the darkness of the window application, but does prohibit applications with a solar reflectivity greater than 35%."

Workin' 4 Toys
08-07-2006, 11:17 AM
Mitch, I know you aren't in Michigan anyway, but UMP has gone alittle overboard in his description. I had LIMO tint on my last truck, and it has been through not only lower Mich, but the U.P. LOTS of times without issue. (Enough about that8p ). Now here in Il, I can say I have been pulled over for misc. other reasons and they gave me a hard time about the tint, but that may be because of the vehicle/exhaust tone.......:D

Yes it can scratch if you aren't careful, dry wiping should be avoided. And I have learned a lesson, never use someone that "says" they can do it. Go to a shop that has been doing it awhile.
I always use the same shop because they use 3M film and do the best work. Lifetime guarantee never to fade or bubble. (Now if I just kept the vehicles long enough to take advantage of that:rolleyes: )

Workin' 4 Toys
08-07-2006, 11:21 AM
won't own a vehicle without tinted windows, never have, never will

clean as regular
Nice Milk, REAL NICE!
I don't usually get the front glass the same % as the back because at night its a little hard to see out. 10% for behind the drivers doors, and 20% for the front doors and windshield strip.

BrianM
08-07-2006, 11:54 AM
I have both my wifes car and my truck tinted and cannot imagine not having the tint with the heat around here. If you want it to look like 'stock' tint that many SUVs and trucks have go with 20%. Depending on your local laws this may or may not be legal and or enforced for your front door side windows. In Lousisana it is technically illegal to have anything more than 35% on the front side windows but it isn't enforced.

My wifes car has 20% on all windows and my truck has 5% (limo) on all windows. I did the 5% over the top of the factory 20% in the back which makes them extremely dark and tough to see out of especially backing up at night but they are really nice during the day with the bright sun. My previous truck I had the front windows done at 20% to match the rear factory tint.

My opinion is if you just want a nice all around tint go with the 20% all around if it isn't going to cause trouble with the Po-Po. If you want some serious drive-by looking bling go with the 5%.

Pics to follow

BrianM
08-07-2006, 11:57 AM
This is the wifes car with 20% on all windows. Sorry for the angle but it is the only picture I have. At this angle the tint looks almost as dark as my truck but it is substantially lighter. With the 20% from the outside you can see the people and movement inside although you can't make out details.

BrianM
08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Here is my tuck with the 5% on all windows even over the rear factory tint. With the 5% you cannot see inside the truck from the outside at all. From the outside they might as well be painted black.

TMCNo1
08-07-2006, 12:11 PM
We've had our van driver/passanger and rear windows tinted to match factory side window tinting for 8 years. In NC anything darker than factory or over 35% is illegal. Got the lifetime warranty and they recommended Advance Auto parts brand "ClearVision" window cleaner that is ammonia free and safe on tinted windows, same as Eagle One "Perfect Vision" window cleaner.

mitch
08-07-2006, 12:14 PM
I have both my wifes car and my truck tinted and cannot imagine not having the tint with the heat around here. If you want it to look like 'stock' tint that many SUVs and trucks have go with 20%. Depending on your local laws this may or may not be legal and or enforced for your front door side windows. In Lousisana it is technically illegal to have anything more than 35% on the front side windows but it isn't enforced.

My wifes car has 20% on all windows and my truck has 5% (limo) on all windows. I did the 5% over the top of the factory 20% in the back which makes them extremely dark and tough to see out of especially backing up at night but they are really nice during the day with the bright sun. My previous truck I had the front windows done at 20% to match the rear factory tint.

My opinion is if you just want a nice all around tint go with the 20% all around if it isn't going to cause trouble with the Po-Po. If you want some serious drive-by looking bling go with the 5%.

Pics to follow

Thanks for the info all. Is 35% what would be on an explorer's back windows?

BrianM
08-07-2006, 12:20 PM

Most all factory tint is 20%

TMCNo1
08-07-2006, 12:22 PM

According to the window tint installers, most optional factory tinting is 20 to 35% depending on manufacturer, to comply with most all state ordinances. In NC anything over 35% is illegal.

BrianM
08-07-2006, 12:23 PM
This is my previous truck. It had factory tint on the rear windows. I had the tint shop put 20% on the front windows to match. See how you can still see through them a bit? My wifes car looks the same.

BrianM
08-07-2006, 12:25 PM
Here is a link to the various state tint laws. http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Looks like in New Hampshire you can't tint the front side windows at all and can only have 35% on the rear windows. That is really light. Sorry about that. The big question is do they enforce it?

TMCNo1
08-07-2006, 12:38 PM
Here is a link to the various state tint laws. http://www.tintdude.com/laws.html

Looks like in New Hampshire you can't tint the front side windows at all and can only have 35% on the rear windows. That is really light. Sorry about that. The big question is do they enforce it?

In NC, during the annual safety and emission testing they will check the tint if it questionable and for some reason if it exceeds 35%, you are subject to paying a $10 surcharge on your inspection.

Leroy
08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
It isn't too hard to do, my son and I did his car except for the rear window. However getting shop to do it is quite reasonable also. He had 5% on front sides and it was too dark at night. Went back to 20% on front sides, much better to see out at night.

Claims of bad po-po around here, but he hasn't had a problem yet.

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-07-2006, 01:50 PM
Hey TOYS, really I wasnt BSing. They really are that militant about window tint here. obviously they dont get every single car for it, but they get most. They are like gestapo on tint. The hitler-esque police treat you like a criminal just because you have tint. I am serious man, its bad.

milkmania
08-07-2006, 02:51 PM
It isn't too hard to do, my son and I did his car except for the rear window. However getting shop to do it is quite reasonable also. He had 5% on front sides and it was too dark at night. Went back to 20% on front sides, much better to see out at night.

Claims of bad po-po around here, but he hasn't had a problem yet.

for years..... I've used the same professional shop here that only uses 3M products, for the suburban's both front windows & 5 inch above the windshield is $50.00

hard to beat it, takes less than 30 minutes

mitch
08-07-2006, 03:54 PM

I'm thinking 20% for rear and back seat sides, and leave the front seat alone. That might look factory on the Caliber, cause it's sort of an SUVish/crossover, ya think? Thanks!!!!!!!

cwright
08-08-2006, 01:28 AM
Check your state law. I've done two cars at aftermarket shops with a lifetime warrnaty. I've never had a problem. No bubbles, no scratches, perfect. States vary in allowable darkness but cops are getting tired of the tweekers inside of limo glass fondling their 9 mil as the trooper approaches the shut window. Most states only allow a light tint, around 35%. Some cops have a meter and can field test and cite you on the scene. Windshields are generally illegal.

SUV's (and minivans) are different, and will allow dark glass in back, providing the drivers and passenger door are not tinted. You'll see this look from the factory. You can tint those two windows, but again, if you go darker than the cops like, they may pull you over. My first tint I went 18% which is pretty dark. I would roll windows down and worry anytime I was next to a cop. My next car I went 28% (OR law allows 35%) and I still worry but not as much. If you gamble on the side of too dark, you may have to pay to have it undone. If you error on the conservative side, you'll be disappointed in the amount of tint. What to do with that is the dilema.

Workin' 4 Toys
08-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Hey TOYS, really I wasnt BSing. They really are that militant about window tint here. obviously they dont get every single car for it, but they get most. They are like gestapo on tint. The hitler-esque police treat you like a criminal just because you have tint. I am serious man, its bad.
It's probably just you.......8p

thijs
08-08-2006, 01:33 PM
Thats about as serious a crime as drugs or assualt.....in the eyes of the cops. Michigan Cops HATE, I MEAN HATE window tinting. They write everyone and anyone they can with tint. I have so many friends and customers that have gotten hassel and tickets from cops for window tint. WHY? I have no idea.

Cops can be sticky on side window tint because it is hard for them to see in the vehicle when they have it pulled over. It can be impossible for them to see if you are going to greet them with a glock through the glass. Otherwise most would ignore it (from my RCMP buddies). If I get pulled over with tint for speeding I roll down my sides asap and flick on my interior light just so they can see what is going on. I always shut off my ignition too, so they know I am not going to run once they are out of their PC.

I did have to peel my tint on the side of the road after being pulled over by a bylaw cop specifically for my tint, but at least I got off without a ticket.

I have a Ford Ranger with 5% in the back window and a 5% eyebrow coming 1/3 down the top of the windshield (this IS legal here). Sides were 25% or so. (Could not see in unless really sunny through windsheild). I had it tinted this way for two years. I have to get it back in to get redone, getting busted for blatantly checking out (mentally undressing) women without my tint!!!:(

Gurglin Water
08-18-2006, 09:54 PM
I have an 79 stars and stripes with the curved windsheild, I was thinking about tiniting just a little to distract the eye from seeing the mark that the old master craft sticker has left behind, Ive tried cleaning with the window cleaner and polish with little success, and ideas or help would be great..

BuoyChaser
08-25-2006, 09:41 AM
the tint turned out great, nice ride!!!

mitch
08-28-2006, 02:24 PM
very happy w/ it thanks!

captain planet
08-28-2006, 02:50 PM
slight thread-jack here, but there is a guy on our lake in Ohio that has the windows of his boat tinted. It is on a Nautique; naturally:rolleyes: Goofiest thing I've seen on a boat in a while. Don't know what the point is.

mitch
08-28-2006, 03:26 PM
It looks good on certain boats. My buddy has it on his red Bu Corvette and it looks great