PDA

View Full Version : Another Camera Thread

jimmer2880
08-07-2006, 08:09 AM
I know we have had this dicussion many times. So - let's have it again.

After figuring out that my 5 year old Canon Digital Elph is NOT water proof, we need a new camera.

Entrance criteria:
1) Must not be bigger than my Elph was. (no SLR's please)
2) $300 - $500 dollar range
3) Very quick "trigger response" (amt of time between when the button is pushed, and when the pic is actually taken)
4) Good Optical Zoom
5) 2 mega-pixel or better (should not be a problem now a days)

Nice to have Options:
1) Short movie capture mode
2) Decent digital Zoom
3) Rapid fire pic (hold button down for continuous still captures)
4) Some kind of weather resistance (not looking for water proof, but some amt of weather proofing would be nice).

Any ideas?

Farmer Ted
08-07-2006, 08:48 AM

After figuring out that my 5 year old Canon Digital Elph is NOT water proof, we need a new camera.

Entrance criteria:
3) Very quick "trigger response" (amt of time between when the button is pushed, and when the pic is actually taken)
4) Good Optical Zoom

Nice to have Options:
2) Decent digital Zoom
4) Some kind of weather resistance (not looking for water proof, but some amt of weather proofing would be nice).

Any ideas?

Jimmer,

did you try and open all the doors (battery/memory) and let it dry out?
My Powershot 80 got swamped and died but it came back to life a couple of days later after drying out. It's not 100% but it still takes great pictures and usually ends up in the kids hands so they can take picutres.....

might be worth a try

or stay with Cannon, they make great point and shoot cameras and you should be able to get close to top of the line for the money you're looking to spend.

michael freeman
08-07-2006, 08:48 AM

Entrance criteria:
4) Good Optical Zoom

Nice to have Options:
2) Decent digital Zoom

Any ideas?

ummm, a nice Option may be a waterproof case for your next elf. I've taken my camera (elf S400) 120 ft underwater with no problems. Swimming around on the surface would be nothing to these cases.

tommcat
08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
olympus stylus 710. i love mine

BrianM
08-07-2006, 12:17 PM
I am loving my Olympus Stylus 720SW. (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225) MSRP is $399 but can be found a bit cheaper. 1 gig XD memory card will run you another $100

It meets all of your criteria above and does them all very well. Very little shutter lag and fast write times. Will do a burst of photos with one press of the botton and will take video until you run out of memory. 7.1 megapixel camera. It is WATERPROOF to 10ft and shock proof from 5 ft. So no worries getting wet or dropping it in the boat or by the pool. Takes great photos and video (with sound) as well.

Here is one I took underwater with it in the pool along with a land shot. and a link to some ski video I took with it. http://media.putfile.com/P4160021 (be patient it takes a while to load)

phecksel
08-07-2006, 01:08 PM
I know you said no DSLR, but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.

Would consider increasing the budget some. Even in the point & shoot, getting above $500 gets you more megapixels, faster resolution, greater zoom.

jimmer2880
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks all. My biggest reason for not going dslr, is that I want it small enough to fit in a pocket (think snow ski jacket). I never took many photos before I got my elph. Now, I have taken literally thousands. I attribute that to it's small size.

Seems that in the small, point & shoot, the best optical zoom is only 3x. But - if stepping up to a 7 MP, digital zoom can be used with little distortion after cropping.

I had not looked at the 720 SW. Thanks.

One thing I know for sure, is that whatever I choose, it will have the ability to be waterproof somehow (either natively, or through a case which can have photos taked from).

I'll look into the s400. I like the amt of digital zoom the elph's seem to have over the others. I was unaware they made a waterproof case for them.

Tommcat - I read some reviews which said that teh 710 had poor shutter-lag, which is why I was going to stay away from them. Is yours near-instant? If so, then that is back to the top of my list.

thanks all.

Evan Jones
08-08-2006, 11:24 AM
From what I understand, the digital zoom on a camera is no better than the zoom feature on the computer program you are printing with. Don't pass up a camera for lack of digital zoom.

BuoyChaser
08-08-2006, 11:39 AM
I am loving my Olympus Stylus 720SW. (http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1225) MSRP is $399 but can be found a bit cheaper. 1 gig XD memory card will run you another $100

It meets all of your criteria above and does them all very well. Very little shutter lag and fast write times. Will do a burst of photos with one press of the botton and will take video until you run out of memory. 7.1 megapixel camera. It is WATERPROOF to 10ft and shock proof from 5 ft. So no worries getting wet or dropping it in the boat or by the pool. Takes great photos and video (with sound) as well.

Here is one I took underwater with it in the pool along with a land shot. and a link to some ski video I took with it. http://media.putfile.com/P4160021 (be patient it takes a while to load)
great pics!!!how about any slalom pics???how does it do on action shots, catching the frame-by-frame of someone slalom skiing...

3event
08-08-2006, 12:22 PM
We have an older Canon S40 (can now get S70 and S80 I think) which allows a lot of control for a point n shoot. Optical zoom to 4.3x. Disadvantage = not as small as some of the newer stuff. Love Canon products, will replace with Canon. Currently looking at Digital Rebel XT SLR. I still have a 1981 Canon AE-1 that I took some film with a few years ago and continues to function.

www.fredmiranda.com is a pretty tech heavy site that's a bit too much for me, but I saw a number of serious photographers recommend the Fuji F30 on there - that kind of a crew probably has some worthy opinions. Never tried a Fuji camera myself, but had to check it out and see the spex....

You can also find a ton of digital camera reviews at www.cnet.com.

Good luck and post some results!

BrianM
08-08-2006, 12:44 PM
great pics!!!how about any slalom pics???how does it do on action shots, catching the frame-by-frame of someone slalom skiing...

It takes pretty nice action shots. For skiing I use the burst mode which will take 5 frames with one push of the button. I'll see if I can dig one up to post. Most of the time I use the video mode for skiing with my Trakker although the video I posted was my wife panning by hand before I got the trakker.

BuoyChaser
08-08-2006, 12:56 PM
It takes pretty nice action shots. For skiing I use the burst mode which will take 5 frames with one push of the button. I'll see if I can dig one up to post. Most of the time I use the video mode for skiing with my Trakker although the video I posted was my wife panning by hand before I got the trakker.
curious if you're using the Trakker, WORKS AWESOME!!!love to see those pics...